01-05-2013, 02:27 AM #1
Want to bust a box, but... what should I get? Opinions wanted!
There's a card show this weekend locally, and I'm thinking about going and grabbing a box of something to break. I'd like to keep it below $100 if at all possible. My problem - I can't decide what to buy! My options:
- UD1: At this point I'm chasing some of the bigger hits (Exclusives, SS SP, Clear Cut) and trying to assemble the YG set
- O-Pee-Chee: I wouldn't mind a box, and both it and the UD1 are certainly economical
- Certified... Can't make up my mind if I like this or not. Already pulled a PSCF /25 Parise/Quick dual jersey, and it seems to be $10-20/box cheaper than Artifacts
- BD: Have only busted a retail blaster, but would love to hear others' opinions the GU/auto "quality"
- Artifacts: I'd love to bust a hobby box after only busting retail packs to this point, with very, very little to show for it, as the GU/auto stuff has my attention
- Or should I save the money I have now, hope to be able to stuff a few more dollars into my card budget, and wait until next month and get a box of SP Game Used?
Of course, I could go to the show and not find any tables with boxes at a price I'd be willing to pay. Then I'd probably end up buying something I shouldn't! I admit that I'm somewhat partial to UD products, because I'm a huge Gretzky fan and they just seem to have a lot of GU/auto/parallel cards that have caught my eye. But Certified certainly has more than a few chase cards of other players I like - Stamkos, Yzerman, Sakic, Parise, and Neely, for example. I think I'm probably looking more for GU and auto cards than parallels.
I'd love to hear any opinions for or against any of the above. Thank you!
01-05-2013, 02:41 AM #2
If you are indeed building the Young Gun set, I'd try a box of Series 1 of course if a dealer has a nice price. Unless of course you are close to complete in the set and are only chasing a few particular YGs. Then it probably wouldn't be worth it. If this is the case, a satisfying decision for you might be to save your money and try a box of SPGU. It looks loaded on the promo sheet, bet then again, SPGU always looks to be great until it's actually released ;) If you're into Certified, I would heavily suggest you try 11/12 Certified as IMO it delivers much more than this years 'installment'.
I hope this helped you a tad and even if you didn't, I don't have much better to do at this time of night so it keeps me occupied ;)
01-05-2013, 09:55 AM #3
Everything is so luck-based in this hobby, anything can happen. The recommendation I always give to people in this situation is: go on YouTube and watch a bunch of box breaks of the different products you're considering. See which one seems the most exciting/appealing to you, and go with that one.Hidden Content
Always looking for Bruins PC cards - Shields, 1/1s, anything high end! PM me if you want to trade!
01-05-2013, 09:57 AM #4
Honestly, test out the 12-13KHL stuff. I got 5 numbered cards, 5 silver parallels, a boatload of inserts, a GU with a sweet swatch and an auto. Its a 50 pack box. You could hit it big with some solid cards of NHL stars.
01-05-2013, 11:41 AM #5
01-05-2013, 11:54 AM #6