Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See dave71120's Items on eBay

Want to bust a box, but... what should I get? Opinions wanted!

There's a card show this weekend locally, and I'm thinking about going and grabbing a box of something to break. I'd like to keep it below $100 if at all possible. My problem - I can't decide what to buy! My options:

- UD1: At this point I'm chasing some of the bigger hits (Exclusives, SS SP, Clear Cut) and trying to assemble the YG set
    - O-Pee-Chee: I wouldn't mind a box, and both it and the UD1 are certainly economical
    - Certified... Can't make up my mind if I like this or not. Already pulled a PSCF /25 Parise/Quick dual jersey, and it seems to be $10-20/box cheaper than Artifacts
    - BD: Have only busted a retail blaster, but would love to hear others' opinions the GU/auto "quality"
    - Artifacts: I'd love to bust a hobby box after only busting retail packs to this point, with very, very little to show for it, as the GU/auto stuff has my attention
    - Or should I save the money I have now, hope to be able to stuff a few more dollars into my card budget, and wait until next month and get a box of SP Game Used?

Of course, I could go to the show and not find any tables with boxes at a price I'd be willing to pay. Then I'd probably end up buying something I shouldn't! I admit that I'm somewhat partial to UD products, because I'm a huge Gretzky fan and they just seem to have a lot of GU/auto/parallel cards that have caught my eye. But Certified certainly has more than a few chase cards of other players I like - Stamkos, Yzerman, Sakic, Parise, and Neely, for example. I think I'm probably looking more for GU and auto cards than parallels.

I'd love to hear any opinions for or against any of the above. Thank you!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See harpercollector's Items on eBay

If you are indeed building the Young Gun set, I'd try a box of Series 1 of course if a dealer has a nice price. Unless of course you are close to complete in the set and are only chasing a few particular YGs. Then it probably wouldn't be worth it. If this is the case, a satisfying decision for you might be to save your money and try a box of SPGU. It looks loaded on the promo sheet, bet then again, SPGU always looks to be great until it's actually released ;) If you're into Certified, I would heavily suggest you try 11/12 Certified as IMO it delivers much more than this years 'installment'.
    I hope this helped you a tad and even if you didn't, I don't have much better to do at this time of night so it keeps me occupied ;)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See th1ckasabr1ck's Items on eBay

Everything is so luck-based in this hobby, anything can happen. The recommendation I always give to people in this situation is: go on YouTube and watch a bunch of box breaks of the different products you're considering. See which one seems the most exciting/appealing to you, and go with that one.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

Honestly, test out the 12-13KHL stuff. I got 5 numbered cards, 5 silver parallels, a boatload of inserts, a GU with a sweet swatch and an auto. Its a 50 pack box. You could hit it big with some solid cards of NHL stars.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See harpercollector's Items on eBay

Honestly, test out the 12-13KHL stuff. I got 5 numbered cards, 5 silver parallels, a boatload of inserts, a GU with a sweet swatch and an auto. Its a 50 pack box. You could hit it big with some solid cards of NHL stars.

And just to add on, the silver and gold parallels are of NHLers are fetching A LOT on the bay.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

And just to add on, the silver and gold parallels are of NHLers are fetching A LOT on the bay.

Too bad I only got some minor guys with the exception of the Skoula silver.