Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luck/RGIII Rookies. Sell/Trade now or hold?

I'm back to the hobby, but have little knowledge on the fluctuation of the card market. Is it better to keep rookies in general in the long run or is it best to trade or sell them when they're at the peak interest levels? This is the football forum, but I'd like to know if they'd hold value for current NBA rookies as well.

Football is kinda different since if they get to or win the Super Bowl then you would have hoped you didn't sell early because the prices would be nuts. In most cases it is best to sell before the player nosedives in any sport. Just remember how hot the cards were of Cam Newton and Sam Bradford and now they are less even though Newton had another great year statistically.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Always sell in their hot rookie year,9 out of 10 times they will never get as much.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

I don't what RG3's stuff is selling for now but I bet everyone would be filling a lot better if they had already sold than if they wanted to hold onto his cards for the long run.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

They are both selling for more than HOF QBs. As was Newton and a few others. Get rid of them now and pick one up again later.

They both have bright futures and I like them both, but they will certainly drop off a bit as soon as 2013 junk comes out.
    Hidden Content

Rohan Davey PC 219/264 (non 1/1)
    Amir Sadollah 62/69 (4/24 1/1's)

Sell now while they're hot. It will take a few years for either of their teams to build the talent to make a SB run so you'll be able to reinvest in the next few years. Then you will be able to buy for alot less than they go for now as "collectors" will be looking to unload these to "supercollect" the new rookies.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    I will NOT send paypal as a gift!!! I'd rather spend a few extra dollars to protect myself, than leave myself open to be scammed with NO recourse!!!

They will be lower as a whole next year 100% chance. I would sell and buy them back in a few years. If they are true stars you have nothing to worry about

Sustainable stars are tough to find hobby wise. Look at great players like Steven Jackson. He just finished 7 straight 1,000 yard seasons and 10,000 for his career and his cards are dirt cheap. I do not understand it. People would rather have Alfred Morris I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteco3 View Post
    Sustainable stars are tough to find hobby wise. Look at great players like Steven Jackson. He just finished 7 straight 1,000 yard seasons and 10,000 for his career and his cards are dirt cheap. I do not understand it. People would rather have Alfred Morris I guess.
    You are 100% right. I like Morris as much as the next guy, but for whatever reason Jackson is so cheap! But yes, rookies will go down by year. and even within the year product prices TEND to decline when the next product is released. For example Platinum was hot as heck, but when chrome came out, the platinum fell like crazy. But you're on yet another bubble that affects card price - the off-season. If you are smart, you will buy in the off season and sell during the season.
    I don't care if you need a week to ship! Perspective.

Other players that are cheap for no reason -

Frank Gore - consistent fantastic player who will top 10,000 yards soon.

Jamaal Charles - top 3 in the nfl in rushing in 2012 and the highest average per carry in NFL history, I believe.

Jamal Lewis - Probably will not get into the Hall but, his SPX Patch Auto can be had for 5 bucks at times which is crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast