Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardcollectorman View Post
    Its amazing Jordan cards still have their value, but I think it is partly because Jordan is still in the spot light, he is still doing ads, and is still very much on the scene with the Bobcats and also his shoes, etc...if Lebron just retires and does not stay that active his stuff will likely drop.
    CCman I don't want to question your knowledge but you need to be specific. Michael Jordan's Fleer RC is probably the most counterfeited card in history. According to sales records, the basketball card segment was at an all time low causing retailers to return boxes of MJ RC to Fleer and they were supposedly destroyed. One thing is certain. MJ was on the top of the pack, if MJ was in the pack and you could see through the wax paper. You never see that today so that pulled the MJ's out asap. The Drexlers too as I recall. An 85 Fleer "pack" with MJ on top of the other cards and seen through the wax paper would be a holy grail pack never, ever under any circumstances to be opened.

To the original post. Rookie prints create a library of 'first editions'. Prints stop. Every year thereafter is a lesser card. It is what it is and it will never change so the taste buds of collectors have to deal with supply and demand for the rookie library. That is all she wrote.

If we disagree lets agree to disagree and respect each other
    Last edited by MadColtsFan; 01-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.

2. Wata Photo

So to get the disscussion going and tying in with with is SCF dead thread, it seems that everyone wanting rookies is sort of killing the hobby. Similar to the 90s speculators and rip and flip guys are killing the hobby, and when weak rookie classes like this one come along the market takes a dive.

That is true that weak rookie classes hurt the markets but people have been chasing rookies since the 1980s if not earlier. If it wasn't for rookies and people just chased game used or inserts when those fell out of favor the hobby would have collapsed.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Brigance View Post
    So to get the disscussion going and tying in with with is SCF dead thread, it seems that everyone wanting rookies is sort of killing the hobby. Similar to the 90s speculators and rip and flip guys are killing the hobby, and when weak rookie classes like this one come along the market takes a dive.
    So because the rookie class isn't last years, SCF is slow? Why would other forums not be slow then?

I personally don't think any group of people ruin the hobby including rip and flippers.

Really look at what speculaotars did to comic books and sports cards in the 90s.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (89)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Whoops.
    Last edited by Covet; 12-27-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Reply to wrong thread! Doh!
    Current Collection Activity: (cards I refuse to collect - GU/EU, sticker AU, airbrushed)
    Giovani Bernard (base in NC uniform), Kam Chancellor (all-white uniform), Walter Jones (1997 Ultra #286)

I'm not out to be a supercollector. I just want a nice collection.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (89)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    So I am pretty old school when it comes to collectiing, I like base cards and subsets that give me more cards of players than 1 of 1 cards but if I get patches and auts I am not complaining as they are super cool and rare with the way i collect.

What I do not understand is why everyone wants so many rookies especially when 99% of them do not pan out and become huge stars or even little stars. I would much rather pull a patch or auto of Barry Sanders or Frank Gore, Dick Butkus or patrick Willis than 2012 4th round pick number 27 . Those guys are established stars where your rookie has a strong chance of being trash.

As far as base cards I understand having old (before 1989) rookie cards are awesome of star players but that was when we had one company making them and we still but them in our bicycle tires. But now everyone saves their rookies but wants every draft pick and college senior to have a rookie. i would rather get old fashioned fun subset cards rather than the 16 guaranteed rookies in every pack.
    I think a lot of people (still) mistaken the condition multiplier of a slabbed card. They think a spanking brand new manufactured card deserves the same awe and respect as a 100 year old card that has been painstakingly preserved without the help of today's technology.
    Current Collection Activity: (cards I refuse to collect - GU/EU, sticker AU, airbrushed)
    Giovani Bernard (base in NC uniform), Kam Chancellor (all-white uniform), Walter Jones (1997 Ultra #286)

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (89)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Often you will see threads late into the season about collectors willing to trade their whozits/hasbeens for the rookies that are on a playoff contender or at least had a good game for stat of the week.

people like what is new. They want the first cards of players. It is fun and I have always enjoyed rookie cards. Plus if the rookie pans out you can say 'see I knew he would be a star.'

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast