2008 SP Authentic Rookie Auto Patches...Questionable Patches

I have seen many discussions concerning the 2008 SP Authentic Rookie Authentics Auto Patch cards. From what I have seen, the are incredibly popular due to a great design and in many ways setting the standard for GU cards going forward. I would imagine they will end up being on of those iconic sets.

I own none of these cards, but I would like to add a Jonathan Stewart to my collection. I have seen these cards come in two flavors. Some have normal one colored jersey pieces on them and some have awesome patch jersey pieces. I know on a product numbered /499...today the companies don't use premium pieces. I also have seen many threads here about cards with fake patches. I'm at the point where I fear getting a fake patch with this series and I'm almost wanting to "settle" for a one color jersey piece (which I hate doing).

What is safe with these cards? Obviously one color is safe...is a basic two or three color piece safe too (something that's not from a logo but from a stripe on the uniform).

This is obviously safe:

But to me, these seem like a risk:

Tony Graziani Collection: 44/49, Autos: 11/13, GU: 2/2
    Have You Seen This Card: 1999 Upper Deck Encore F/X Gold #11 Tony Graziani 1/1
    1967 Topps FB Set: 132/132 - Complete
    1994 UD Collector's Choice Gold FB Set: 384/384 - Complete

why do people ruin cards like this?

Quote Originally Posted by eliteco3 View Post
    why do people ruin cards like this?
    Simple, money. But, what I am trying to find out is...are those cards infact fake? You see them all over the internet for sale. My assumption is they are...but is there a way to know for sure?

I don't know if they are fake or not but most of the time when people fake patches they don't have the patch with plain jersey exposed. They fill the whole window with a patch by jamming it in there or taking the card apart. Or at least that's what I know about fake patches.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

never tried to fake a patch. Takes all the fun out of this hobby

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    I don't know if they are fake or not but most of the time when people fake patches they don't have the patch with plain jersey exposed. They fill the whole window with a patch by jamming it in there or taking the card apart. Or at least that's what I know about fake patches.
    OK. Are there a lot of fakes of this set. For some reason I seem to think there are...I remember threads in the past where someone posted a photo of a card with a 1 color piece (with a certain serial number) and then found it for sale online with a nice patch.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroDMD View Post
    OK. Are there a lot of fakes of this set. For some reason I seem to think there are...I remember threads in the past where someone posted a photo of a card with a 1 color piece (with a certain serial number) and then found it for sale online with a nice patch.
    Yeah it seems to be a heavily faked patch set versus others but I doubt somebody would be making fake patches of Stewart now. Maybe years ago when he was in more demand. Though if you can get a lot more with the fake patch they will do it no matter the player or set.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content