Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Why does everyone want rookies?

So I am pretty old school when it comes to collectiing, I like base cards and subsets that give me more cards of players than 1 of 1 cards but if I get patches and auts I am not complaining as they are super cool and rare with the way i collect.

What I do not understand is why everyone wants so many rookies especially when 99% of them do not pan out and become huge stars or even little stars. I would much rather pull a patch or auto of Barry Sanders or Frank Gore, Dick Butkus or patrick Willis than 2012 4th round pick number 27 . Those guys are established stars where your rookie has a strong chance of being trash.

As far as base cards I understand having old (before 1989) rookie cards are awesome of star players but that was when we had one company making them and we still but them in our bicycle tires. But now everyone saves their rookies but wants every draft pick and college senior to have a rookie. i would rather get old fashioned fun subset cards rather than the 16 guaranteed rookies in every pack.

What amazes me is how the hobby is SO geared toward rookies that previous year's products are less desirable and actually go down in price. I understand that Luck and RG3 and others have made this an incredible year, but it consistently happens that last years products drop in price. And I see posts saying I have $10 for the best auto - 2012 only.

I understand to some level, but you are right. I'd much rather have a Marino than a Newton!
    I don't care if you need a week to ship! Perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by chajones View Post
    I understand to some level, but you are right. I'd much rather have a Marino than a Newton!
    I'd prefer you to have Marino's too, cuz I know you'll get them to me somehow! LOL.

Manufacturers are doing their best to add value, but can't figure out the collectors, b/c the collectors are so wishy-washy.

When Panini can add an unproven rookie auto for $10 and create a card worth $10-30, it makes more sense than adding a veteran auto that costs $40 and is worth $15.
    Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (98 of which are auto'd)
    Hidden Content
    Marino Most Wanted:
    1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite

i like rookie cards but mostly i collect the rookies drafted by my team not every rookie like this past year david decastro and mike adams were the two rookies i was really looking for and i think i got 2 of each i just need one more so my daughter, me and amy soon have them but i am not worried i like most of the base and the veteran cards such as the immortal Qb's cards in this years tops set
    FB: in this order Any Steelers, Any Raiders
    Baseball: Barry Larkin, Tom Browning, Sandy alomar jr, Justin Masterson and tribe prospectsalso want micheal jordan baseball card

Yes, the Immortal QBs was an awesome sub set. I Kind of miss stuff like all the Pro Bowl cards and big hitters or crunch masters ans sack masters though sub sets that gave me more star players but still part of the regular set.

Upside in value for people trying to make money. I PC a guy who won't ever be worth anything but I enjoy the chase, I am not after a profit in the end.

I have Billy Joe Tolliver in my PC so dont talk to me about guys that wont ever be worth anything :P

My opinion folks are trying to find the next Brady or Pujols buy up their cards and hope to strike it rich.There are too many products now dominated but auto and questionable game used.
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (44)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcorleone View Post
    My opinion folks are trying to find the next Brady or Pujols buy up their cards and hope to strike it rich.There are too many products now dominated but auto and questionable game used.

thats exactly it..everyone wants the Brady.. fact is cards that arent rcs dont go up in value and if they do its for a week after the player passes or if they are hot in the playoffs/SB but even after that they die back down. But this only helps the people that are in the hobby to make a profit and hinders the true collectors that want autos of thier fave "proven" players.
    Hi I'm Grant I collect ALL Seattle Seahawks

I super collect Marcus Trufant so please let me know if you have any of his cards minus base.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by marinocollector View Post
    I'd prefer you to have Marino's too, cuz I know you'll get them to me somehow! LOL.

Manufacturers are doing their best to add value, but can't figure out the collectors, b/c the collectors are so wishy-washy.

When Panini can add an unproven rookie auto for $10 and create a card worth $10-30, it makes more sense than adding a veteran auto that costs $40 and is worth $15.
    I doubt that a rookie auto costs Panini $10 to make.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast