Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Brady cards still hold value because he is still playing at high level but wait till he retires for a couple of years, for example just look at Brett Favre cards now they can be had for a huge fraction of when he was actually playing.

When it comes to seeking out RCs, the newness and the unknown are both a big plus to me, and why I like rookie cards, Topps Chrome RC colored refractors to be specific. Sure, the player may not pan out, but the satisfaction of ownership I get from just looking at some of my Trent Richardson rc refs, for example, is very high lol. And I don't even plan to sell them. I'm not a prospector, just a collector. Doesn't make much sense, but it's true. I just like knowing it's their card from the first season and first team they played for in the NFL.

Even though AP is a much more established player, pulling a base AP card after 2007 doesn't mean anything to me, unless it is just a sick picture and/or low numbered...point in case, the two cards I have in my office: Ricky Williams '09 Bowman Chrome GREEN refractor (b/c, you know, the green being his old favorite and a favorite of mine lol) and a Ray Lewis base card from '09 Upper Deck where he is just DESTROYING Carson Palmer with a strip sack. You can even see Lewis's hand on the far side wrapped around Palmer's wrist, clearly showing Lewis was executing a perfect play to wrap him up, get the ball out, and robbing Palmer of any chance to recover it. Masterful play, and the pic captures it perfectly.
    ** Hidden Content ** Hidden Content
    Help me with 2011 Topps Platinum Green RC refs #/499!! (Have 11/50) **
    ** Hidden Content **

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollectorman View Post
    Brady cards still hold value because he is still playing at high level but wait till he retires for a couple of years, for example just look at Brett Favre cards now they can be had for a huge fraction of when he was actually playing.
    I believe Brady's cards will be steady and go up after he retires. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Brigance View Post
    I have Billy Joe Tolliver in my PC so dont talk to me about guys that wont ever be worth anything :P
    Yeah I remember when the Chargers drafted him instead of Rodney Peete in 1989. I was like what were you thinking? Now you can get both of their rookie cards (which I do have their topps and proset but not score)
    for literally pennies.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I collect rookies as well as autos and the few players that I PC for fun first then if I can make a few bucks off any of them so be it. Most of the rookies that I have are not worth the paper that they are printed on but they make for a good conversation piece as well as giving me a piece of the history of the game that hopefully I can pass on to my kids when I have them.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I should say that I also look for the Bradys' ect and find fun in them. Anyone remember Erik Kramer? I thought he was going to be the next Joe Montanna and picked up as many of his cards as i could back in 91 and 92. I collect about four hundred players (all HoF'ers current stars and just players I like (like Billy Joe Tolliver, I went to Texas Tech.). I have guys that will never be worth alot or oare worthless (Tom Rathman, Mike Alstott, leon Lett ect).

I just find it odd that the hobby is entirley built around the hottest rookies and not the established stars. When I was a kid it was all about the established stars, it was a big deal to pull out a Montanna or a Bradshaw. of course i think the hobby really changed with the "live sets" of 1989 and with baseballs Ken Griffey Jr and Frank Thomas Rookies in 89 and 90/91.

Oddly enough before the 1980s rookie boom in baseball people didn't value rookies as the most valuable. The world's first card shop and others said that back then the year the player won an MVP award or All Star appearance was most desirable and sold the best. I don't know if that holds true for football and other sports but the idea for rookies being the most valuable and wanted is actually quite new given the age of the card market.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I like collecting Star Rookies and other stuff. I know 20 yrs from now. Will Lebron James Topps Chrome Rookie be selling for $20 or will it be up there like Michael Jordan? I think it
    is like the stock market. I think it is sad that you can get a 89 Upper Deck Griffey Rookie for $20 now. He did alot of good things in baseball, I think it should be worth more than $50.
    Another thing stinks, is that alot of collector's are focusing on GU and Auto's.
    Trade Page under Construction
    Hidden Content

Strictly rookies for me. Any other year is out of the question, even for the greats.

Quote Originally Posted by jywilli69 View Post
    I like collecting Star Rookies and other stuff. I know 20 yrs from now. Will Lebron James Topps Chrome Rookie be selling for $20 or will it be up there like Michael Jordan? I think it
    is like the stock market. I think it is sad that you can get a 89 Upper Deck Griffey Rookie for $20 now. He did alot of good things in baseball, I think it should be worth more than $50.
    Another thing stinks, is that alot of collector's are focusing on GU and Auto's.
    Its amazing Jordan cards still have their value, but I think it is partly because Jordan is still in the spot light, he is still doing ads, and is still very much on the scene with the Bobcats and also his shoes, etc...if Lebron just retires and does not stay that active his stuff will likely drop.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast