Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

R.I.P. Richard McWilliam, Upper Deck CEO

This was just posted on Upper Deck's Twitter / Facebook pages:

Upper Deck ‏@UpperDeckSports Upper Deck announces the passing of CEO Richard McWilliam, and appointment of Jason Masherah as president. https://www.facebook.com/UpperDeck

My name is Jason Masherah. Until today, I have been the Vice President of Marketing and Business Development for Upper Deck.

Because you are friends of Upper Deck, I want you to be the first to know some very sad news. Richard McWilliam, our chairman and CEO, passed away over the weekend. Our entire company is heartbroken and grieving his death today.

For the last year or so, I have been fulfilling the duties of President, and I have now been formally named President of Upper Deck. I am honored to have the privilege to have been given the opportunity to lead this great company that Richard built and led.

Richard leaves behind his wife and their three children, and we ask that you respect them by allowing the space and time to grieve his death, as we all are today.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants New York Yankees New York Rangers

Wow that is sad, any word on how old he was or if this was expected?

I will always have a soft spot for UD as I feel like they revolutionized the hobby. I can still remember the 89 UD Baseball release and opening a pack and being like "WOW" the sharp pictures and great card stock.........

BANNED

Country
    See jesiahj's Items on eBay

I will always have a soft spot for UD as I feel like they revolutionized the hobby. I can still remember the 89 UD Baseball release and opening a pack and being like "WOW" the sharp pictures and great card stock.........

I'd guess it was expected judging from the line that the VP had been fulfilling the president duties for the past year.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Say what you will about UD, but they revolutionized the trading card industry and changed it forever.

RIP Richard. Our prayers go out to your family.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

Very sad news. My condolances go out to his family and the staff at Upper Deck. As already mentioned, there is no doubt that Upper Deck changed the hobby in many ways over the years.

BANNED

Country
    See keithman07's Items on eBay

RIP Richard. Sounds like they had a sense it was coming with the VP taking over duties for the past year.

UD definitely revolutionized the hobby. They got me into collecting in the early 90s.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

It was unexpected and I believe he was 59 years old.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

As per Wikipedia:

McWilliam died unexpectedly on January 5, 2013 of unknown causes, at age 59. He had a history of heart problems, including 2008 open heart surgery.

My condolences to the family as well. As much as I may not have been very pleased with UD as of late, it is because of them that I started in the hobby. Requiescat in pace, Mr. McWilliam.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Upper Deck founder Richard McWilliam dies at 59

Associated Press

CARLSBAD, Calif. - Richard P. McWilliam, founder of The Upper Deck Co. that became a key player in the trading cards and collectibles industry, has died. He was 59.

McWilliam died Saturday at his home in Rancho Mirage, spokeswoman Holly Baird said Monday.

Upper Deck entered an industry dominated by The Topps Co. in 1989 and succeeded in gaining market share by offering premium products.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...APS/1301070958

Very sad news indeed...a lot has been said about the man and the company but when all is said and done, he had a huge influence on the hobby as we know it...

RIP Mr. McWilliam

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See railblaze's Items on eBay

Say what you want about what the brand has become over the years.

It takes brains and balls to take your cash and open a business that had been dominated for years by established companies, and not only succeed, but completely dominate the market in less than 20 years.

RIP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast