Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

New at Trading-Paypal-please explain

To complete a trade I need to send a small amount of money (under $10) through paypal.
    Looks like I have two options:
    1) Purchase - goods OR
    2) Personal - gift

If I use option 1, looks like I do not pay a fee but the person selling to me would have to pay.
    If I use option 2, looks like I pay a fee and the seller does not pay.

However, I was wondering...if I use option 2 and I never receive the cards, I would have no recourse, correct?
    But with option 1, I would have recourse?

So what I need to know, for SCF, if a person is paying with paypal for a trade, what is the NORM...1) or 2)???

Thank you!

SCF Rewards
    Country

what?

SCF Rewards
    Country

What I am asking...is HOW is the money sent through paypal to complete a trade? Is the payment a purchase of goods or a personal gift?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I actually just learned this this morning.

PayPal Gift: No charge to either one of you IF AND ONLY IF you already have the PayPal funds to cover it. If you do not have the funds in your PayPal and you are paying off a bank account or credit card, there is a fee to the buyer.

PayPal Purchase: Charge to the seller.

Good luck, always great to hear someone is entering a great hobby and an awesome site in SCF. Feel free to give my traders in my sig a look and LMK if there's anything you need.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So when a seller asks for money through paypal...is the seller expecting payment as a "gift" or a "purchase"?

SCF Rewards
    Country

It depends on how comfortable you are with the seller IMO. If they have established their feedback and it's on this trading community website I'll ask the buyer to send as PayPal gift if they're comfortable. Gifting payments are not refundable the way purchases are but sellers like this kind of thing bc it save them a few dollars which they can apply towards your shipping. I don't have problems sending established, trusted traders PayPal gifts. Just be comfortable with the feedback system. Beware of sellers that haven't made sales in a while or have just reached their 20 feedbacks with small sales, etc. It's always good to do your research.

p.s. this kind of thread should go in the 'Hockey Card Talk' forum, this is for trading. No worries, though. You'll get better exposure/responses there bc the threads fly fast and furious here since everyones posting their wants/traders and it's pretty active, especially with the NHL back in session (woooohoooo!!!!)
    Last edited by gfel2795; 01-07-2013 at 10:25 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kevhur's Items on eBay

do not send gift as a rule.... sellers usually factors in the fees to the selling price (or they should) and this way everyone has protection

SCF Rewards
    Country

also if you're sending a gift to a user in another country there is a small % fee which you can pay as sender or it comes off the seller's end.
    Hidden Content cmb=cook more bacon Hidden Content
    I collect Theo Fleury, Lyle Odelein, Gary Roberts & Dave Manson

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you everyone for helping me!