Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Two Things - (1) Sellers' Refusal to Price Cards (2) Entitlement of Newer Members

Think of this as a rant if you'd like....

First:

I have had one too many dealings with sellers who do this, and the practice has really soured on me recently.

We all know how this goes: I message a seller about a card, asking for a price. Seller says they don't have one in mind, so make an offer. I send a number, seller says it's too low. I ask what price the seller has in mind. Seller doesn't answer the question, and simply continues to make me bid against myself. Seller gets angry/frustrated about how

Why? To curb low-balling? I do not believe it does, it actually exacerbates it. I would venture to say it is mostly to not lose out on money if it is priced too low. Another unsavory reason is to try and get an unaware buyer to overpay. The former reason, in reality, is a lack of research on the seller's part.

Second:

The growing entitlement among new members (all over, not just here) is also getting on my nerves as of late.

I recently got called out on a low-end deal where a newer member wouldn't send first (not here) on a sale. Was lectured about the unwarranted mistrust and overreaction. I realize it is low-end, but I do not make concessions on the precautions I take no matter how small the deal. I am not going to apologize for protecting myself online as I see fit. The member worked with me on price, of which I was appreciative. However, as I said above my precautions take precedence.

Just irks me how common it is for people to try to tell others how to go about their collecting habits. Always "holier than thou" undertones.

That is all....
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Collecting: PATRICK WILLIS/Buster Posey

The whole make me an offer thing is absurd. The only situation in which it is warranted is on cards that have no recent sells history i.e newly released cards or rare hard to obtain cards. Other than that if its your card you know how much its worth. You've probably checked recent sales dozens of times and probably have your card in your saved searches for further reference. So when I am asked to make an offer I refer to recent sales and then general go a buck or two lower and if they arent satisfied with my offer and its not a card Im dying to get I will just walk away. Ive seen a lot of complaints about making offers recently.

I too have noticed a lot of newer members with a higher sense of entitlement but my opinion on this is its just previous members who have been banned and created a new account with a new ip address or something and feel they (a.) have already sent first with there first account or (b.) was a member who didnt like that rule before and may have been banned for it or received a MSF tag. Thats just my opinion and is in no way proven true. But Ive seen too many new members complain about aspects of the rules be it bumping early or sending first.
    Kellen Moore Super-Collector!!!!
    Moore PC: Hidden Content
    Moore Need List: Hidden Content
    Buying/Selling: If Im the seller I will post, If your the seller I would appreciate if you post. Just my preference. Thanks

yeah, thats why i have always thought it was a good idea to provide an ebay link along with an offer
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    looking for UGA autos/rcs in college uniform from 2005 - present, and 2009 knowshon moreno donruss elite rcs

Quote Originally Posted by jmarino76 View Post
    yeah, thats why i have always thought it was a good idea to provide an ebay link along with an offer
    Ive done that before, sometimes that even gets the seller hot under the collar. If I do though I dont link the lowest one sold but I do reference it.
    Buying/Selling: If Im the seller I will post, If your the seller I would appreciate if you post. Just my preference. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by texastexanCC View Post
    Ive done that before, sometimes that even gets the seller hot under the collar. If I do though I dont link the lowest one sold but I do reference it.
    I usually reference eBay averages of the most recent listings and take off 10% for the fees. I am not selective on which listings to include either. I do find that it makes people a bit chippy, as though you're undermining them just by citing those numbers. Which doesn't make much sense to me, as it's what the card actually sold for....
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Collecting: PATRICK WILLIS/Buster Posey

This is how I simply get around it. If buying I give average sale price offer or just above. I automatically give my best price. If they say no or counter my offer I reject it unless its a few dolars difference. Same with selling. I give my lowest price up front. If I get a lower offer I reject it and move on unless its by a minimal amount. I give what I know to be a good price both ways. It either goes for that or it doesnt. The problem is with negotiation so remove the problem or drastically reduce it.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

This is one of my favorite topics to see discussed, because there's really no correct answer: It's an open market where information on everything is easily available and it comes down to people's preference for transacting. Everyone has different comfort levels around negotiating. Some people expect to have to do it, some people enjoy it (myself included) and some people simply loathe it.
    ** Hidden Content ** Hidden Content
    Help me with 2011 Topps Platinum Green RC refs #/499!! (Have 11/50) **
    ** Hidden Content **

Quote removed due to rules violation
    That's not a bad message to send to a new trader at all...that's actually called "making sure new members follow the rules". It's GOOD when established members enforce the rules with new members (and if you have no trades, you are a "new member" to anyone who has more than 10). It maintains the integrity of the feedback system.

Also, someone who "sits around and trades all day" IS more trustworthy: They have a well established track record that tells me that they are worth my trust. I'm not trying to rag on you personally here man, but that is why we have a feedback system:To establish trustworthiness. It doesn't matter how long someone has lurked or posted on the forums if they don't have feedback. You don't get credit just for showing up, as they say.
    Last edited by WVcoltsfan; 01-09-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    ** Hidden Content ** Hidden Content
    Help me with 2011 Topps Platinum Green RC refs #/499!! (Have 11/50) **
    ** Hidden Content **

I think the newer members having to send first when they are selling a card is absurd. Paypal covers you 110% as a buyer and making newbies send first when they are the ones selling something is just opening to doors for 'trusted members' to pull a fast one. Now trading is a whole other deal, new member do need to continue sending first there, but like I said when they are selling I think its a stupid rule. I think the buying/selling section ought to have a rule like the Blowout forums where you need to post a price. I just ignore people's post or pm's asking for offers, YOUR card YOUR price.

Quote Originally Posted by kdub924 View Post
    I think the newer members having to send first when they are selling a card is absurd. Paypal covers you 110% as a buyer and making newbies send first when they are the ones selling something is just opening to doors for 'trusted members' to pull a fast one. Now trading is a whole other deal, new member do need to continue sending first there, but like I said when they are selling I think its a stupid rule. I think the buying/selling section ought to have a rule like the Blowout forums where you need to post a price. I just ignore people's post or pm's asking for offers, YOUR card YOUR price.
    I see your point on the msf when selling. I get both sides and like some members acknowledge that we are protected with paypal and will submit payment before receiving. Its the new members who are asking for gift or make a "big stink" about why they should not have to send first. It makes me feel like they have something to hide or think that they themselves are above the rules. But generally when I encounter a new member like that I simply just dont deal with them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast