Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    there are plenty of times i dont post prices, have no problem selling and no one gets upset at all. not sure what the big deal is, if you want a card bad enough, make an offer. if not and no pricing makes you upset, dont offer? i understand the frustration in it from a buyers view, but it doesnt seem like that big of a deal. JS
    I only pay via paypal invoice.

  2. #12
    I have made a few trades when asked to make an offer. I bought a certified Camary walking into a lot and making a 12,500 offer on a car they were asking 21,000 on. Of course I went back almost every day for 2 weeks but they caved. Once during negotiation I actually offered 14k and they turned it down. A week later they accepted 12,500. Making offers are just part making a sale. If I go to Home Depot I make them offers too lol. I have gotten over 500 bucks worth of free stuff and cash back by just asking for something free. I bought my mom a 300 pan for cooking from Macys by making an offer.

    I just try and keep my offers as fair as possible. If I want a card that is worth 20 bucks my offer might be 15 on here because there are no fees from ebay etc. If its accepted then fine. If not I may opt to make more offers or just say thanks but no thanks.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdesertcards View Post
    there are plenty of times i dont post prices, have no problem selling and no one gets upset at all. not sure what the big deal is, if you want a card bad enough, make an offer. if not and no pricing makes you upset, dont offer? i understand the frustration in it from a buyers view, but it doesnt seem like that big of a deal. JS
    It works both ways though. I could ask sellers the same question by the same argument - what's the big deal about not wanting to post a price? If a seller wants to sell a card bad enough, post a price. If not and the offers make the seller upset, don't get mad?

    What gets me is the fact that people say they don't know, only to soon enough reveal that they have a number in mind when it gets down to business. Just not a particularly upstanding practice to hide one's stance.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

    Collecting: PATRICK WILLIS/Buster Posey

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by themanishere View Post
    It works both ways though. I could ask sellers the same question by the same argument - what's the big deal about not wanting to post a price? If a seller wants to sell a card bad enough, post a price. If not and the offers make the seller upset, don't get mad?

    What gets me is the fact that people say they don't know, only to soon enough reveal that they have a number in mind when it gets down to business. Just not a particularly upstanding practice to hide one's stance.
    all i know is I have zero problems selling the way I do. whether you say its not "upstanding" or not
    I only pay via paypal invoice.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdesertcards View Post
    all i know is I have zero problems selling the way I do. whether you say its not "upstanding" or not
    And that's fine, I made no comment about you specifically. I have made it clear that I am speaking of my experiences and opinions, as you are. This thread is not about projecting either side as absolute fact, merely to identify and discuss what I think are growing, troubling trends. Thanks for your perspective.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

    Collecting: PATRICK WILLIS/Buster Posey

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdesertcards View Post
    all i know is I have zero problems selling the way I do. whether you say its not "upstanding" or not
    I think we've gone around this bend once before Palm and you can sell how you want. Obviously you are very happy with the way your sales are going so doing it your way is not a problem. All I can say is you have at least 1 less prospective customer (me) by not putting a price in your ad and judging from the responses I've read on this and other threads it is more than one. The only possible downside I can see to putting a price in your ad is if you have a tendency to overprice your cards. That can scare people away before they even consider making an offer. Otherwise I can't see how it is beneficial to eliminate people who will not respond to an ad with no price. You are doing fine but could you be doing better? That is the question you need to be asking. Honestly the answer might be no I don't think so and if that is the case, again keep on doing it your way. I'm not calling you out on your policies, I'm just telling you the way I feel.

    the following are responses to random comments maybe not made by Palm.

    I message a seller about a card, asking for a price. Seller says they don't have one in mind, so make an offer. I send a number, seller says it's too low.

    My response would be "Oh, so you DO have a number in mind. How do I know I can trust you to send the card if you are already lying to me this early in the negotiating process. I'd better take my business elsewhere." I'm sure I'd get a nice reply but it would probably be worth it. Seriously though, they ALWAYS have a number in mind. If you are fine with making offers it's no big deal I'm not so it is a big deal to me.

    Making offers are just part making a sale. If I go to Home Depot I make them offers too lol.

    God I hate people like you Seriously, I get people asking me all the time if I'll take a lower price for my stuff and it's a very rare occasion that I do. If I have some used equipment or if its an item that has been sitting around for a long time I might consider it but I feel my prices are competitive and even though I would really like to have your business I find it very insulting for you to ask me if I'd take $40.00 for this brand new aquarium filter that I have priced at $50.00. If I'm ringing you up on a dozen smaller items that might come up to $100.00 I might not charge you for that $5.00 aquarium decoration but the best way NOT to get something for free is to ask for it. Especially if you are a first time customer.

    If buying I give average sale price offer or just above. I automatically give my best price. If they say no or counter my offer I reject it unless its a few dolars difference. Same with selling. I give my lowest price up front. If I get a lower offer I reject it and move on unless its by a minimal amount.

    That's pretty much how I operate. When buying if I see a set price and I think it is too high I may make one offer which is the most I will pay. If it's too low for you I'm sorry but we can't come to an agreement. I hate when I ask "whats the lowest you will take for this?" (which I do find to be an acceptable question if you don't want to make an offer) and they say "$50.00" and I say "I think I'll pass" and they say "how about $45.00" You just told me $50.00 was the lowest you'd go, there you go lying to me again. When selling I often have a little wiggle room built in just as many people have. Partly because you just know people will offer less. Its funny how someone will offer $50.00 for an item marked at $60.00 but they won't spend $50.00 if its marked at that, they offer $45.00. If you ask me "what's the lowest you'll go on that" I'll give you the lowest I'll go. If I say the lowest I'll go is $50.00 don't offer me $45.00. If you make me a reasonable offer I may accept it or I may make one counter offer if it is too low. If it is way to low (more than 25% off is way to low) I won't make any counters and if you want it the price it's marked at is the price you will have to pay.
    As far as MSF, on a sale I think it is absurd that the seller must send the item before the money is in hand but depending on the circumstances I may agree to it. As for a trade, I wouldn't consider trading with anyone I wouldn't trust enough to uphold his end so me sending first would not be that big of a big deal but unless traders can agree to send at the same time (yeah right) someone has to send first. I guess time in or trades made is the fairest way to go with that. I may have been around here for a while but I have few trades (I actually don't think I have any trades but I've bought a few things) so I would not have a problem sending first. Depending on how it is worded I wouldn't mind being reminded that I must send first but it had better not sound like you are not trusting me. A comment like "if you dont send first you can take a walk" would get a quick "goodbye" if I responded at all. A comment like " I expect you will be sending first because of my feedback and your lack of it" would irritate the heck out of me but I would probably still do the deal. A simple "site rules require that you send first" followed by a polite "I hope that won't be an issue" would be fine.

    These threads always make interesting reading.
    Steve Schindler

    Collect what you want to collect. Collect players and cards that you like. Collect what you can afford. Collect for you, not to try to impress someone else. If you do this you will much more likely to enjoy the hobby and stay with it.

  7. #17
    I usually price my stuff if I'm gonna sell. I personally like as a buyer going to a thread and seeing a price. It kind of lets me know right off the bat if I'm interested or worth pursuing. I did however just posted something recently with a "Currently taking offers on..." Reasons being 1. None have sold as it's /5. 2. Someone may really want it for their pc and know what they'd be willing to pay for it. I on the other hand would have no problem keeping it either. Basically if I like the # more than the card or other way around situation.

    As for new members sending 1st. Just made a deal with a new member, 0 feedback. before we posted the deal I just said, " hey man I hate even asking this question but you do know new members have to send first until feedback hits a certain #?" I just think it's an easy way to let them know if they didn't know already. He was totally understanding of it and the deal is in progress. Just thought I'd share as I enjoyed reading this thread
    Hidden Content

    Urlacher card count - 163

  8. #18
    sschind- i respect your point and take no offense. when i get a PM asking for a price, a below ebay price is given (averaging out the last 5-8 sales). it works great for me.
    I only pay via paypal invoice.

  9. #19
    You guys should hear the excuses I get about getting lower prices on things. I work at a hotel and some people look for things to complain about just so they can get something for free. I really should carry around a tape recorder and post them up so people can hear the garbage that spews forth!
    Here's one example that got me written up because I lost my cool....

    Guest: "My toilet got clogged and I had to wait 10 minutes for the engineer to come unclog it!" "This is terrible serivice and I need you to take care of me!"
    Me: "I apologize ma'am, the engineer got there as soon as he could."
    Guest: "This is outrageous, you should pay for my room tonight!"
    Me: "Ma'am again, I apologize but that is uncalled for. I would be happy to take care of breakfast in the morning!"
    Guest: "No, I want my (explative) room comp'd!"
    Me: "MA'AM, you were taking a #2, not throwing the One Ring to Rule Them All into an endless river of lava!!! FLUSH ACCORDINGLY!"
    Hidden Content

    UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A B A START
    Hidden Content

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronf79 View Post
    You guys should hear the excuses I get about getting lower prices on things. I work at a hotel and some people look for things to complain about just so they can get something for free. I really should carry around a tape recorder and post them up so people can hear the garbage that spews forth!
    Here's one example that got me written up because I lost my cool....

    Guest: "My toilet got clogged and I had to wait 10 minutes for the engineer to come unclog it!" "This is terrible serivice and I need you to take care of me!"
    Me: "I apologize ma'am, the engineer got there as soon as he could."
    Guest: "This is outrageous, you should pay for my room tonight!"
    Me: "Ma'am again, I apologize but that is uncalled for. I would be happy to take care of breakfast in the morning!"
    Guest: "No, I want my (explative) room comp'd!"
    Me: "MA'AM, you were taking a #2, not throwing the One Ring to Rule Them All into an endless river of lava!!! FLUSH ACCORDINGLY!"

    hahaha my family owns a hotel and i have ran it before, the things said are just classic LOL
    I only pay via paypal invoice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •