Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

A question for atheists....

Have any of you ever testified in court? Do you take an oath on the bible? Do they force you to do that if you are atheist? Just curious is all...no arguments over religion please...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Yeah I always wondered the same thing. If you are swearing in on a bible but the bible dosen't mean anything to you then what? Or how about if your were a christian and had to testify in court in a muslim country? I really doubt that they would accomodate your religious needs by switching out a koran for a bible.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

I've been meaning to ask this a while ago then I read an article that Obama is using two bibles for his oath of office...Gonna be super president!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Also what if someone prefers a certian version of the bible? Do the courts make any special accodomations? Also isn't swearing in on a bible somehow the state endorsing christanity?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Jehovah's Witnesses refuse to swear in court. They "promise" or "affirm"
    Kind of a meaningless distinction at the end of the day.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I've testified a few times (not recently) and was given the choice of swearing on a bible or just swearing an oath. Having never discussed my lack of religious beliefs with my co-workers I just chose to swear on the bible. It's not like it really matters; God-fearing christians lie in court everyday.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Yes

There is no bible in Canadian Courts. It's against the law in most Provinces or it can be asked to be removed, as it's offensive to those that aren't christian. If there is a bible present, you can just shoo it away with your free hand and tell the judge to get a grip.
    Last edited by centrehice; 01-10-2013 at 01:13 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I appreciate the link and all but I live in the United States not Australia. It would be nice if we could borrow some of their laws though.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

A friend of mine just retired a couple of years ago, as a Supreme Court Justice in Victoria, Australia - Melbourne. He is a devout Catholic, but he also agrees that Court has nothing to do with god and religion and should be stricken from anything legal.

They have it right in Melbourne

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast