Are SP variations part of a set in Set Building?

I just got back into football cards about a year or so ago. Back in the old days, I was quite the set builder. I would love to build sets of Chrome today, but with the variations, do I have a complete set without them?

A set like 2009 Magic is understandable. There are SPs, but they are not variations, they are simply short printed. In order to have a complete set of those I certainly feel those would be needed. Anyway what are your opinions.

Thanks!
    Working on Chase Daniel Super Collection 59/121 (49%) + 2 1/1 Hidden Content
    Am always looking for Mizzou players! Even Michael Egnew.
    Vikings, Kurt Warner and Dan Marino are an option as well!
    All Football for Sale or Trade:
    Hidden Content

Some people have to have them, some people don't. Its more of a personal choice. If I REALLY liked the set, I would chase the variations for fun, if it wasn't insanely expensive. Its not needed for a complete set.
    Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (98 of which are auto'd)
    Hidden Content
    Marino Most Wanted:
    1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite

As a Chrome set builder, I do not require having both rookie card variations to consider my set complete. I would be happy with either one in my set, since they are the same player and number, though if I pulled the variation I would probably keep it separate from the set in a top loader and buy the more common version for my binder.
    ** Hidden Content ** Hidden Content
    Help me with 2011 Topps Platinum Green RC refs #/499!! (Have 11/50) **
    ** Hidden Content **