Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Ridiculous More School Violence

1 student shot at high school in Taft, Calif.

Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes36

Email Story Print

40 minutes ago

Map locates a shooting in Taft Calif., where at least two are shot near a hi...

TAFT, Calif. — A student was shot and wounded at a rural San Joaquin Valley high school Thursday and another student was taken into custody, officials said.
    The shooting occurred about 9 a.m. at Taft Union High School, a community of fewer than 10,000 people amidst oil and natural gas production fields about 120 miles northwest of Los Angeles.
    The student who was shot was flown to a hospital in Bakersfield, said Ray Pruitt, spokesman for the Kern County Sheriff's Department. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.
    Pruitt said the suspect is a student, and a shotgun was used in the attack.
    Kern County Fire Department Eric Coughran told KBAK-TV that another person suffered some type of injuries in the incident but refused medical attention.
    KERO-TV Bakersfield reported that the station received phone calls from people inside the school who hid in closets.
    It was not immediately clear how many students are enrolled at the high school, which teaches 9th through 12th grades.
    The Taft shooting came less than a month after a gunman massacred 20 children and six women at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., then killed himself.
    That shooting prompted President Barack Obama to promise new efforts to curb gun violence. Vice President Joe Biden, who was placed in charge of the initiative, said Tuesday in Washington, D.C., that he would deliver new policy proposals to the president by next week.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Taft. CA

Bakersfield, CA.

What a grim desperate part of the World. Only Stockton and Fresno are rougher than this area once you leave LA County.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It is sad and how did he get a shotgun in school.I had back in the ahem 80's metal detectors in my school in SI NY and 2 on duty NY poilice officers.Of course this seems to be an isolated 1 on 1 incident not a mass murder spree

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

It is sad and how did he get a shotgun in school.I had back in the ahem 80's metal detectors in my school in SI NY and 2 on duty NY poilice officers.Of course this seems to be an isolated 1 on 1 incident not a mass murder spree

In a fairly small town from the sounds of it. You don't see metal detectors in schools like that. Major cities in Canada have them, I'm in an area of about 150,000 and only one of the 5 or 6 high schools here has metal detectors, and even that I'm not certain of.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Maybe small time areas should catch up with the times.This is not june and ward cleaver era anymore.Yes it is sad but extra precautions should be taken in schools and other places.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

i have no issue with metal detectors but armed guards I may. I am not against armed guards just some of the people that are armed guards. It is one thing having crappy guards at Taco Bell, but when we are putting adults around 100's to 1000's of children we need some better methods of watching the guards themselves and screening them.

SCF Rewards
    Country

well even though it will cost more wha about uniformed police officers or militayr veterans who have passed and goen thru background checks?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Maybe small time areas should catch up with the times.This is not june and ward cleaver era anymore.Yes it is sad but extra precautions should be taken in schools and other places.

I've never liked metal detectors at school. I've always thought it send the message that these people can't protect you.

Plus, to do it in small areas like this to stop the one possible incident every 40 years is paranoid thinking. It's like the people who watched 9/11 happen from their livingrooms in Lincoln Nebraska and got scared they were next. Metal detectors and armed guards shouldn't be used to protect against one-off incidents. They should only be there if there is a serious and continuing problem. Inner city areas in NY, LA, Detroit, etc I can totally see having metal detectors.
    Nowheresville North Dakota, population 4000? Not needed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

But that train of thought is why these small towns get attacked because people always say "that does not happen in my town".Yes it does so why not have a show of force protecting our establishments

I've never liked metal detectors at school. I've always thought it send the message that these people can't protect you.

Plus, to do it in small areas like this to stop the one possible incident every 40 years is paranoid thinking. It's like the people who watched 9/11 happen from their livingrooms in Lincoln Nebraska and got scared they were next. Metal detectors and armed guards shouldn't be used to protect against one-off incidents. They should only be there if there is a serious and continuing problem. Inner city areas in NY, LA, Detroit, etc I can totally see having metal detectors.
    Nowheresville North Dakota, population 4000? Not needed.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

But that train of thought is why these small towns get attacked because people always say "that does not happen in my town".Yes it does so why not have a show of force protecting our establishments

I'll put it this way:
    Putting metal detectors in schools where an incident happens every 30 years to never is like buying every lottery ticket in the store because one of them just has to be a winner.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast