Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird_1981 View Post
    I get tired of seeing the NFL recycle coaches so I like seeing a new guy get a chance.
    Technically Chud is recycled too since he was OC for the Browns just 4 years ago.

I try to give everybody a chance, but when a team like the Browns has been losing for decades you gotta shake things up a bit and try something new. Bring in a proven coach (Cowher? Chuckie? Dungy?), make a play for a top talent in the draft instead of trading down and settling for the 3rd or 4th best player available at a position, open up the checkbook and sign some top talent veterans in free agency...stop trying to stumble into a winning combination and actually have a staff with a plan and go out and get the players to make that plan work.

And stop changing coaches every two years!!! What coach in the entire NFL could take a team from the worst in the NFL for decades to a playoff team in 2 freakin' years?
    Last edited by duane1969; 01-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

2. Wata Photo
    I agree with the stop the coaching carousel. They don't really give these guys much chance to succeed. That being said, It's a better hire then Chip Kelly to me. I think The Broncos OC and whisenhunt may have been better choices, but let's not forget, the Steelers hired a guy named Mike Tomlin and that turned out ok. Hiring from within is not a terrible idea if you don't want a retread coach.
    Collecting patches and autos of Buckeyes, SF Giants, SF 49ers,Browns, Indians, Cavs. Kevin Randleman and Mark Coleman items....
    Check the bucket for trades.....
    Hidden Content
    The argument can't be broken!

I don't buy into the hiring a coach that succeeded in college concept. Looking at recent history, very few successful college coaches found success in the NFL. Harbaugh is the only one that comes to mind as succeeding recently. Pete Carroll seems to be finding some success this year, but his last two runs in the NFL were a bust. When I think of college coaches in the NFL I can't help but think of Spurrier, Saban and Petrino. Harbaugh strikes me as the exception not the rule. Hiring a college coach to take over a pro team is about as risky as it gets, in my opinion.

As for Tomlin finding success, I take all of that with a grain of salt. It isn't hard to succeed as a coach when you take over a team that just won the Super Bowl 2 years earlier and has players like BigBen, Hines, Polamalu, Fast Willie, Santonio Holmes, James Harrison, James Farrior and Ike Taylor all in their prime. The next few years, as the players that he inherited begin to age and retire, will tell the real story of what type of coach and talent evaluator Tomlin is. This has already started to become a reality in the last few years. The telling number that nobody has mentioned yet is Points For/Against. Over the last 3 years the Steelers have declined from a +143 point differential (in 2010) to a +98 point differential last season to just a +22 point differential this year. That is the sign of an aging team that isn't replacing older declining players with younger talent that can take their place.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

I agree with the college coach concept. It takes a special type of coach to coach the NFL. In college, you have the pick of the crop at a big program ie recruiting. In the NFL, not as much. It's a whole different ballgame.
    Tomlin seems decent, but as the Browns will also find out, you need good coordinators. I wonder how much that Steeler decline this year had to to with Arians and no Ben for part of the season (or a not healthy Ben/receivers)
    Collecting patches and autos of Buckeyes, SF Giants, SF 49ers,Browns, Indians, Cavs. Kevin Randleman and Mark Coleman items....
    Hidden Content

The Steelers decline was due to defensive woes, not offensive struggles. This year the defense allowed 314 points, last year they allowed 227. The offense scored 336 points this year and 325 last year and only had 600 less yards of offense this year as opposed to last year.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    The Steelers decline was due to defensive woes, not offensive struggles. This year the defense allowed 314 points, last year they allowed 227. The offense scored 336 points this year and 325 last year and only had 600 less yards of offense this year as opposed to last year.
    I thought their D was the best in the AFC?
    Hidden Content

That would be the Raven's defense. They have had a somewhat better defense the past couple of years over the Steelers.
    Collecting Bears (especially Urlacher), Browns, Jazz, Real Salt Lake, Cubs, and any former BYU players.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sanfran22 View Post
    Based on yards alone, yes, but that is because they typically gave the other team good field position thanks to turnovers and poor punt/kick coverage. The Chargers game is a good example. The Steelers held the Chargers to 294 yards of offense, but the Chargers' scoring drives started on the SD 31, PIT 48, PIT 47, SD 22 and the PIT 17. It is easy to look like a solid defense when you lose big by giving the other team the ball on your side of the field 60% of the time. And then to make matters worse the defense does very little to prevent scoring (27th in INTs, 19th in recovered fumbles, only 18th in sacks). So the net result is that you end up ranked high in overall defense (because yards are the only number factored into this) when you were one of the worst teams when you look at forced turnovers, sacks and TDs allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewman View Post
    That would be the Raven's defense. They have had a somewhat better defense the past couple of years over the Steelers.
    Sorry, not them either. 17th in yards allowed, 10th most rushing TDs allowed, 15th in forced turnovers, 19th in INTs. Their only saving grace is that they didn't allow a lot of passing TDs (2nd fewest in NFL) but they allowed teams to pass their way down the field and then punch it in with the running game. That is why they are ranked so low in passing yards allowed (17th) and so high in rushing TDs allowed.

The #1 defense didn't make the playoffs. That would be the Bears. 5th fewest yards allowed, 7th fewest passing TDs allowed, #1 in INTs, #2 in recovered fumbles, 8th in sacks, 8th in rushing yards allowed, 8th in passing yards allowed...the Bears are ranked top 10 in nearly every major defensive statistical category. I don't think any other team even comes close to doing the same thing.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sanfran22 View Post
    Based on yards alone, yes, but that is because they typically gave the other team good field position thanks to turnovers and poor punt/kick coverage. The Chargers game is a good example. The Steelers held the Chargers to 294 yards of offense, but the Chargers' scoring drives started on the SD 31, PIT 48, PIT 47, SD 22 and the PIT 17. It is easy to look like a solid defense when you lose big by giving the other team the ball on your side of the field 60% of the time. And then to make matters worse the defense does very little to prevent scoring (27th in INTs, 19th in recovered fumbles, only 18th in sacks). So the net result is that you end up ranked high in overall defense (because yards are the only number factored into this) when you were one of the worst teams when you look at forced turnovers, sacks and TDs allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewman View Post
    Sorry, not them either. 17th in yards allowed, 10th most rushing TDs allowed, 15th in forced turnovers, 19th in INTs. Their only saving grace is that they didn't allow a lot of passing TDs (2nd fewest in NFL) but they allowed teams to pass their way down the field and then punch it in with the running game. That is why they are ranked so low in passing yards allowed (17th) and so high in rushing TDs allowed.

The #1 defense didn't make the playoffs. That would be the Bears. 5th fewest yards allowed, 7th fewest passing TDs allowed, #1 in INTs, #2 in recovered fumbles, 8th in sacks, 8th in rushing yards allowed, 8th in passing yards allowed...the Bears are ranked top 10 in nearly every major defensive statistical category. I don't think any other team even comes close to doing the same thing.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I don't read into stats in the NFL. As you have pointed out, the Bears had the best defense statistically but they didn't make it to the playoffs. Only the team that can hold the Patriots to 21 points I think will have the best defense.
    Collecting Bears (especially Urlacher), Browns, Jazz, Real Salt Lake, Cubs, and any former BYU players.
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123