Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hall of Average players that were nice to fans. Non Hall of Famers are better player

Which team would you want?
    C Piazza
    1B McGwire
    2B Whitaker
    3B Rose
    SS Trammell
    OF Shoeless
    OF Bonds
    OF Sosa
    RHP Clemens
    LHP Tommy John
    RP Lee Smith

or

C Schalk
    1B George Kelly
    2B Schoendienst
    3B Lindstrom
    SS Rizzuto
    OF Jim Rice
    OF McCarthy
    OF Llyod Waner
    RHP Sutton
    LHP Marquard
    RP Sutter

Cooperstown sucks!

Is there are parallel universe where Barry Bonds is nice to fans?

Many guys on your second team ARE hall of famers...
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

WOW dude! This thread when right over your head!

willie mcgee should have been inducted to the hall of fame.
    have 4308 different cardinals cards

.295 BA
    2254 hits
    4× All-Star (1983, 1985, 1987, 1988)
    World Series champion (1982)
    3× Gold Glove Award winner (1983, 1985, 1986)
    Silver Slugger Award winner (1985)
    2× NL batting title (1985, 1990)
    1985 NL MVP
    have 4308 different cardinals cards

I'm just saying, if a guy like Don Sutton can get into the HOF, then why can't Ron Guidry get in. For only pitching 14 seasons, his numbers are very good.

Is there anybody that can give a positive story about Barry Bonds.I can tell you in 3 rivers parking lot 1987 I saw Bonds tell a group of kids ranging from 6 to about 12 maybe 6 kids to F off i dont have time for autographs.My only personal experience and it just grew worse as time went on
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

And George Brett signed a 6 year old kids baseball with F*&^ You! Everyone loves George. Wonder what the difference is? Hmmmm.......

Quote Originally Posted by stlcardinalsfan View Post

.295 BA
    2254 hits
    4× All-Star (1983, 1985, 1987, 1988)
    World Series champion (1982)
    3× Gold Glove Award winner (1983, 1985, 1986)
    Silver Slugger Award winner (1985)
    2× NL batting title (1985, 1990)
    1985 NL MVP
    Willie McGee isn't even close to Hall of Fame worthy. He was a fine player, but no argument can be made for him in Cooperstown. None.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...cgeewi01.shtml

Last edited by the 'stache; 01-17-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballboy2 View Post
    I'm just saying, if a guy like Don Sutton can get into the HOF, then why can't Ron Guidry get in. For only pitching 14 seasons, his numbers are very good.
    Don Sutton won 324 games, and struck out 3,574. His career ERA of 3.26 is only slightly better than Guidry's 3.29, but he maintained that ERA with more than twice as many career starts. His WHIP of 1.142 is better than Guidry's 1.184. Guidry won 15 or more games six times. Sutton did it twelve times. Sutton is a deserving Hall of Fame inductee. Guidry doesn't belong in Cooperstown.

When you have to add a qualifier like "for only pitching 14 years", a player's not going to get in unless they were absolutely dominant for a majority of their career. Guidry wasn't. He was incredible in 1978. He finished top 5 in the Cy Young 3 other times. He had a great career winning percentage. But his career numbers don't come close to Hall Worthy, and he wasn't consistently an elite pitcher. To get in Cooperstown having a short career like that, you need to do something like Sandy Koufax did. For a six year period, Koufax was the best in the game, and one of the best in the history of the game. Guidry at best was an elite pitcher for two years, then he was a good to very good pitcher. He doesn't pass the litmus test.
    Last edited by the 'stache; 01-17-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast