Bears hire Marc Trestman as new head coach

Marc Trestman has been doing wonders up here in Canada over the last several years with the Montreal Alouettes, and has taken them to countless championship games (Grey Cup) over the last decade. To give you an idea of his reputation up here, my team's (Toronto Argonauts) new coach's (Scott Milanovich) biggest selling point was that he was the offensive coordinator and understudy of Marc Trestman... we were really happy about that.

In case you haven't heard, he (Trestman) is considered a quarterback genius, and his offensive schemes are world-class. I can't imagine the damage his playbook will be able to do in a proper 4-down game (remember, the Canadian football game is played with 3 downs only).

Do you enjoy offensive football, Bears fans? You're going to love Marc Trestman!

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=413656#YourCallTop
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 01-16-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    I Really Need These Set Killers:
    2007-08 Trilogy Personal Scripts Ales Hemsky (no inscription) /25
    2007-08 Trilogy Personal Scripts Gordie Howe (Whalers) “1076 Goals” /25
    2010-11 Dominion Benchmark Sticks (non-auto) Steve Yzerman /25
    2010-11 Dominion Honored Rivals Henrik Lundqvist/Martin Brodeur /49

Yeah I knew that name rang a bell. He has quite a reputation in the NFL himself. To save time I just copied this from Wikipedia. I bolded the key points for those of you who just skim

Trestman moved to the National Football League and coached the running backs with the Minnesota Vikings in 1985 and 1986. He became quarterbacks coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987 then held the same position with the Cleveland Browns in 1988. In Cleveland he again coached Kosar and the team finished 10–6 and made the playoffs. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1989. That year Kosar passed for 3,533 yards and 18 TDs, wide receiver Webster Slaughter had a franchise record 1,236 receiving yards, and the Browns made it to the AFC Championship game.

In 1990, Trestman returned to Minnesota as quarterbacks coach for the Vikings. He spent two years there and then left coaching for three years.

He returned to the NFL in 1995 as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator with San Francisco, where he served in that capacity through 1996. The first year he was there the 49ers led the NFL with 457 points scored, 644 pass attempts and 4,779 passing yards.

Trestman joined the Detroit Lions as quarterbacks coach in 1997. That year Lion's quarterback Scott Mitchell passed for 3,484 yards, second most in team history.

In 1998 he was with the Arizona Cardinals as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. That year quarterback Jake Plummer threw for 3,737 yards, and the Cardinals made the playoffs for the first time since 1982 and won their first post season game in 51 years.

He next went to the Oakland Raiders in 2001 as the quarterbacks coach. In 2002 he was promoted to offensive coordinator and the Raiders led the NFL in total offense with 389.8 yards per game and passing yards with 279.7 per game. Under Trestman's guidance, Raiders QB Rich Gannon won the 2002 NFL MVP award as the Raiders reached Super Bowl XXXVII, losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

I knew it was true as soon as Jimmy Johnson tweeted it! Time to invest in Extenze I guess...

Honestly this was not a guy I knew much about two weeks ago, but if Phil Emery is convinced he's the guy then I believe it. To me everything about Emery is impressive and I'm hoping this hire is no different.
    My Bucket: Hidden Content

Looking for high end:
    99' PTT Autos: Walter, & Emmitt - 01' Quantum Leaf AMM: Barry & Emmitt - BGS 9.5 HOF RCs

Dual/Triple Autos or Multicolor Patches of Walter/Barry/Emmitt/Brown

im on the fence with this one. The college coaches usually have a hard time transitioning to the NFL, will these be any different coming from Canada's league? I dont watch it, so I cant compare. But when arena football was around, I dont think a coach that won multiple titles would still have a shot at NFL coaching. Its 2 different animals! We will see! I definately love to see an offensive minded coach, I just dont know if this is what was best for the Bears.
    Go Gators and Bears!
    I only collect Justin Blackmon and I guess I am getting in the SUPER collector range of Alshon Jeffery! Over 40 autos and rising!

Quote Originally Posted by bearsfanincltnc View Post
    im on the fence with this one. The college coaches usually have a hard time transitioning to the NFL, will these be any different coming from Canada's league? I dont watch it, so I cant compare. But when arena football was around, I dont think a coach that won multiple titles would still have a shot at NFL coaching. Its 2 different animals! We will see! I definately love to see an offensive minded coach, I just dont know if this is what was best for the Bears.
    The diff between him and a college coach is he actually has NFL experience and has had some success in the NFL as a QB coach and offensive coordinator.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Remember when Rich Gannon was the MVP and took the Raiders to the Super Bowl? All Marc Trestman's doing.

There is a huge difference between NCAA football and the CFL (Canadian Football League). NCAA football is very run-oriented, whereas the Canadian game, being a 3-down game and using a larger field, is VERY pass-oriented. The first thing Trestman will want to do as coach is sit down with Jay Cutler and turn him into the best QB he's capable of being. Expect Brandon Marshall to continue to put up huge numbers next year, and expect a healthy Forte to not only get his fair share of touches, but to be used in the pass game much more as well.

It will no doubt bring about a big cultural change for the Bears, who have been a very defense-oriented team over the past several years under Smith, and will be turned into a team better known for their offense under Trestman. Aside from the Rich Gannon reference, the other thing he has contributed to over the last several years is helping his QB in Montreal, Anthony Calvillo, become football's all-time leading passer.
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 01-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    I Really Need These Set Killers:
    2007-08 Trilogy Personal Scripts Ales Hemsky (no inscription) /25
    2007-08 Trilogy Personal Scripts Gordie Howe (Whalers) “1076 Goals” /25
    2010-11 Dominion Benchmark Sticks (non-auto) Steve Yzerman /25
    2010-11 Dominion Honored Rivals Henrik Lundqvist/Martin Brodeur /49