Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is with the ridiculous Buy it Nows on ebay?

When a new product is out, what is with the super crazy buy it nows? 1500 for a Andrew Luck Pheonom 2-color patch auto to 199?? It will be 150-200 in a week or 2! Some of the other rookies like lamar miller most of the time have Buy it nows of 50+. Why not 30, and get the premium before the Miller is less than 10 bucks after people rip? Does anyone else notice this? I know the first on ebay golder ole rule, but now there is more than one luck listed and that person is at 900 buy it now when I last looked!

Is this to showboat your cards? Just dont get it since he is not playing right now.
    Go Gators and Bears!
    I only collect Justin Blackmon and I guess I am getting in the SUPER collector range of Alshon Jeffery! Over 40 autos and rising!

It seems like most people think they will get more then they will. Don't get me wrong, pulling a Luck or RG3 is great from Limited, but it's not Exquisite or NT.

It seems like some people automatically have an emotional connection with the card because it's a nice pull and don't realize the longer it sits as a BIN early on the price softens.
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to all that I've dealt with!

Some of it is to catch some poor guy who doesn't know better.

Some of it is that they think is actually "worth" that price.

Some of it is just to show it off.

That's my theory.

most of it is to take advantage of someone. they know people will want it and are looking for the one person who has very little understanding of it to come along. its greed. i understand wanting to get as much as you can, but going beyong what it is worth is just flat out greed. i get people saying its worth what someone will pay for it, but real market value is what it should cap at. not what someone will pay for it cause they dont know enough to know they are getting ripped off. its the same with superfractors. devier posey sterling auto patch was on for $1500. 2 weeks later the seller dropped it to $500 lol. people who do that mostly dont have a realistic idea of the hobby. they see others go for a lot so they think its the card alone thats worth that much. its a complete slap in the face to the hobby. whats worse is most these people think they have something so great. then when they finally find out its not worth near what they WANT it to be they get upset. some do it just to show off, but most dont.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

Most of the high prices on BINs also allow for Best Offer. I see nothing wrong with people who overprice with BINs with BO, because the BO is basically an invitation for counteroffer and an indication that the seller is not serious about the BIN price. It (within reason) is essentially a negotiation technique when you don't know what market price is and want to haggle a bit to get the best price. You clearly wouldnt want to have the starting position close to the minimum you would accept as this will encourage people to undercut your value (or market value). I receive absurdly low BOs on my BINs even with plusing up the price. There is nothing wrong with using negotiation tactics (setting the baseline high) to seek the best price someone is willing to pay for your card so long as you are being honest about what you are selling.

That said, sellers are just throwing away fees if they set BIN on a highly sold item (e.g. base Limited phenoms Patch/AU) that is anything more than 10-15% higher than the next lowest BIN since no one will throw an offer your way. Typically this tactic only makes sense on SSP items. Besides, I know I overpay for rare PC 1/1s (just dropped $110 on a Giants shield), so who knows what the most someone is willing to shill out for a rare item.
    BUCKET: Hidden Content

Always looking to add to my Giants PC and Inception PC.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGiants72 View Post
    Most of the high prices on BINs also allow for Best Offer. I see nothing wrong with people who overprice with BINs with BO, because the BO is basically an invitation for counteroffer and an indication that the seller is not serious about the BIN price. It (within reason) is essentially a negotiation technique when you don't know what market price is and want to haggle a bit to get the best price. You clearly wouldnt want to have the starting position close to the minimum you would accept as this will encourage people to undercut your value (or market value). I receive absurdly low BOs on my BINs even with plusing up the price. There is nothing wrong with using negotiation tactics (setting the baseline high) to seek the best price someone is willing to pay for your card so long as you are being honest about what you are selling.

That said, sellers are just throwing away fees if they set BIN on a highly sold item (e.g. base Limited phenoms Patch/AU) that is anything more than 10-15% higher than the next lowest BIN since no one will throw an offer your way. Typically this tactic only makes sense on SSP items. Besides, I know I overpay for rare PC 1/1s (just dropped $110 on a Giants shield), so who knows what the most someone is willing to shill out for a rare item.
    I agree with you here. I also think whoever owns the card can ask whatever they want. I don't see it as a "slap in the face" Some people who want to find certain PC Cards will over spend so they can have it in their PC.
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to all that I've dealt with!

My dad asked me this yesterday and I blame it on two things:

1. Products are overpriced and people want to squeeze every cent out of a card even though it's unrealistic and bad for player collectors.
    2. Ebay allows most listings for free now and there's no harm in letting a card be automatically listed over and over and over with hopes of someone getting desperate.
    Hidden Content

Rohan Davey PC 217/264 (non 1/1)
    Amir Sadollah 62/69 (4/24 1/1's)

I think the high BIN with a best offer option is just a selling tactic, and one that works well for rare items. You get a ton of offers, and you don't accidentally sell it too low. It's smart. Anyone who has ever posted an auction with a BIN that sold almost instantly and went "Crap! I under-priced that..." knows that is the case.

A little off topic, but I see this all the time in similar threads so I have to say: I find it hilarious when people gripe about BINs and sale prices, and market prices, with respect to GREED when talking about sports cards. It's complete soap boxing! We're talking about literal cardboard here, with glossy high res images on them, depicting a sports figure. We're not talking about food aid or medical supplies or mosquito tents being sold at ridiculous prices to third world countries. This hobby isn't some majestic and wonderful thing where everyone always gets a great deal and leaves happy. It's pure capitalism, from the time the cards are conceived to the time they are re-sold on the after market (here, Ebay, COMC, etc).

There is nothing greedy about letting someone pay what they choose for something they want, since it's not even close to being an essential item in their lives. It would be greedy if they NEEDED it, and you knew they NEEDED it, and you put them over a barrel and took them for all you could. That is greed. Not selling sports card on Ebay LOL.

So with all the said, even mentioning the word greed (an excessive desire for wealth or possessions) when discussing sports cards is complete silliness, unless maybe you're talking about the manufacturers. And since they are a corporate enterprise with no other aim than to make money for their shareholders (by definition) it is misplaced in that context as well. We are all fools (myself included) for buying in to this system in the first place. But, since we like what we like, we do what we do
    ** Hidden Content ** Hidden Content
    Help me with 2011 Topps Platinum Green RC refs #/499!! (Have 11/50) **
    ** Hidden Content **

Preach NDHL....

Sadly though, capitalism seems to be going out of style these days. This is just one example. Anyone who sells anything is "evil" for not subsidizing the world with their possessions. But I'll stop my bellyaching there.
    BUCKET: Hidden Content

Always looking to add to my Giants PC and Inception PC.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGiants72 View Post
    Preach NDHL....

Sadly though, capitalism seems to be going out of style these days. This is just one example. Anyone who sells anything is "evil" for not subsidizing the world with their possessions. But I'll stop my bellyaching there.
    Capitalism is hardly keeping the first on EBAY at 1500 when the second guy is selling at 900 or were you waxing prophetic? Some people are good at valuing items and others are not. Beckett BV helps our hobby give traders some leverage. You are playing a risky game with first on EBAY my friend and people say nasty things about you as the seller.

I will say this. People need to be educated about the first on EBAY rule for anything that comes up scarce. If there are 25 cards out there of a player. To me that is a lot of cards. The person out of 25 interest buyers willing to pay the most sets the value so you want to buy first? Ok. Have at it. That is why EBAY works for cards. It is generally accepted to give you the biggest pool of traders, not disimilar to a stock exchange. Now that is what I refer to as capitalism and I take business ethics seriously, something that is lacking sometimes.

The market has to settle now before I get in on the action unless I can work out a deal to get the best in the end from the other guy on a first on EBAY. As a collector, I have to fight the flippers and they never want to sit on inventory long so the market is suprisingly efficient to identify what is hot and what is not. No wonder the card market is dangerous. Buyer beware.
    Last edited by MadColtsFan; 01-18-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast