Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    See Riley_NBHC's Items on eBay

Favorite Past Memories Of Collecting

I really wanted to share with you guys my favorite past memories of collecting. If you wish to share your story, you are more then welcome to as I love reading them!
    As for my favorite memories, here is how it goes:

So my dad would like to get me involved in sports and I was all for it. We chose hockey along with baseball and soccer. He would teach me how to play and all the rules on a blank paper. I got into the game and loved it. First year, I was on a terrible team but it didn't matter. Second year, we went all the way. Now the third year, the third year was special. I met a guy and he was into hockey cards. We grew to like each other and bonded on our hockey tournament. He eventually got me into the hobby and we had so much in common.
    That is how we met and became buds, now for my favorite memories.

He would come over for a sleep over with my twin and I every now and then and it was the time of our lives! We would set up our stations of hockey cards in the basement and made them like little stores. We even made little posters with our store names on it. When we were done setting up we would announce the opening of our stores. We would go and check each others stores out and the display of cards. We would tell each other what we liked and managed to make a bunch of trades. When we weren't doing this we would be playing road hockey or go to our local convenience store. These were both amazing experiences. The fun competition in hockey pretending we were NHL players and we would even bring a card of ours featuring the player we would pretend to be. At night we would walk up to our convenience store and buy the classic MVP packs or whatever overpriced packs they had. We would rip in to them and get so pumped up for whatever we got! The we would get back home and start trading again. We would go to bed extra late and did the same kind of stuff the next morning. If it had to do with hockey, we were doing it!

I am kind of in contact with my bud but we have trouble seeing each other. It is rather complicated. I do give him a call every now and then saying hi.

I'm not sure what it is but I can guarantee that what I just said are my very favorite memories! I hope you enjoyed the read and once again feel free to share your favorite memories!

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Going into the basement of my next-door neighbors's Mom's house, when we were in our mid-20's in about 1983, and looking for his old Hockey and Baseball cards and finding:

1. 6 Bobby Orr Topps 1966 Rookie cards with Bobby sporting a jiffy-marker beard and mustache, with "Good Player" written on the back of the card in black jiffy-marker.

2. Finding 7-8 Reggie Jackson Rookies with Reggie sporting a Jiffy Marker Afro and beard on most cards.

3. Finding goaltending greats Parkhurst & Topps Cards like Glenn Hall, Tony-O, Ken Dryden, Terry Sawchuk with jiffy-marker stiches on their faces to signify where they had been cut with pucks.
    Last edited by centrehice; 01-18-2013 at 11:41 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Going into the basement of my next-door neighbors's Mom's house, when we were in our mid-20's in about 1983, and looking for his old Hockey and Baseball cards and finding:

1. 6 Bobby Orr Topps 1966 Rookie cards with Bobby sporting a jiffy-marker beard and mustache, with "Good Player" written on the back of the card in black jiffy-marker.

2. Finding 7-8 Reggie Jackson Rookies with Reggie sporting a Jiffy Marker Afro and beard on most cards.

3. Finding goaltending greats Parkhurst & Topps Cards like Glenn Hall, Tony-O, Ken Dryden, Terry Sawchuk with jiffy-marker stiches on their faces to signify where they had been cut with pucks.

Ho ho ho!!!

Is THAT why you defile Peter Forsberg cards now???

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

When I was young, I could not afford to buy many cards but one kid on the street had parents that would buy him a lot of cards. Mainly if you think of early 70's cards he would have like 30 of each cards, year after years. Back then he stored them in shoe boxes.

Then when the madness about prices of older hit the news I saw him and when he realise this he went and ask his mom where were the cards. Guess what... Gone... For some reason, that felt good...
    Hidden Content

I collect all Montreal Canadien. Hidden Content for player, teams you collect

SCF Rewards
    Country

Running through the Gloria Rothstein Show in Westchester smashing into people trying to find my twin buddies Adam and Brian to show them the Pat Falloon rookie I just pulled out of a pack of High Numbers lol. 10 cent excitement!!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

When I bought 4 boxes at my first full year of collecting with hockey cards (I started at dec-94) in our big USa trip at 1995.
    Those boxes was 94-95 Pinnacle Serier I + II, 94-95 Finest and 94-95 SP.

I worked really hard at my father's company to earing some extra $ and ended up with +$1300 if I recalls right, which is quite a lot for a 14-year old boy. It was at a store anywhere in LA, Idon't remeber the exactly location becuase that LA is absolutely huge!
    I ended up with buying 4 boxes, 3x 93/94 Pinnacle Masks cards and some Marvel packs...

Then at the end of our trip was at San Francisco and I had plenty of $ remaining and when we found a hobby store near a church and I ended up to buying 94-95 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle with Jagr/Hull + Robitaille/Stevens for its full BV at $50 and $25, oh man my father was furious at me then because that I actually bought a mere ard for whooping $50!
    But I ended up to give my little brother the Robitaille/Stevens card because he was so jealous...he's 7 years younger than me not a bad present huh? But the truth is that my father forced me to do this haha....

By the way the Finest break was AWESOME!
    The truth is that if the store had more of those so I would bought all they got!
    SP was a bit boring because they got only Die-Cuts and SP Premier (the Die-Cut of SP Premeir is very rare at 1:144 or something)

Pinnacles was a huge disappointment (no rares, I bought the canadian versions to get Masks, IMO the 94-95 version of Masks is still the best Masks card ever!), But I got only crappy commons with Rink Collections and AP in Series I and nothing more, the box of series I was alreay opened up and was missing only some packs of 36 in a full box, but in those did contains a Northern Lights for sure and maybe even better card!
    Series II was a bit better with some Gamers + World Editions....and of course nicer looking full-dufex Rink Collections.

I got a Bowman's Best Refractor from Finest with Roenick which was a HUGE hit, the cardd was BV at $90 or $72 (but I'm sure that It was at $90 then).

I got also 3x refractors, 3x Clear Cuts, 6x Bowman's Best and 1x Ring Leaders (which was quite interesting..)
    The player on the Ring Leaders was nothing less than with my current main PC-player!

The card is also a big factor that I started to collect him in 1996 (the another factor was his play in playoffs 96 despite the Fitzgerald slapshot)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Philadelphia Eagles Toronto Blue Jays
    See maritimesportscards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

My favourite memory is pulling the Michael Jordan SP Insert out of a 1991 Upper Deck Baseball pack. My mother had to scrape me off of the floor at Zellers. Great pull!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See baseballislife1984's Items on eBay

When I was younger, there was about 6 or 7 boys in my area that collected. Our summers were spent playing sports outside and when it became too hot, we would go over to one anothers houses and trade cards.

At least three days a week I would go to the mall with my Grandma & Mom during the summer and they had a card store, which my family was friends with. My Grandma would always buy me a pack of cards at the end of our mall trip. Sometimes she would buy me the high end packs like Be A Player or Zenith, which I could not afford on my own with my allowance money.

Thanks to both my sister and I playing hockey & ball year round was that we spent most of weekends on the road. This was before ebay. We went to a lot of different flea markets and I was able to build up a nice collection of cards as well as seeing a lot of cards I normally would have never gotten to see.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Taking the most valuable card I had to grade 1 show and tell.
    90-91 Pro Set Ed Belfour RC

I spent the whole day nervous as crap it would get damaged, lost or stolen.

Taking a binder full of 92-93 UD and spending all recess with my friends laughing at the name "Peter Ahola"

Pulling a RC from a pack for the first time. 91-92 Pro Set Niklas Lidstrom. I bought two packs and got a RC in each. I'm really glad I opened them in the order I did, or I'd have been a Nelson Emerson fan. Oddly enough, I remember showing them to my dad and him telling me he had no idea who that Niklas is, but Emerson is supposed to be really good.

Ahh, fate.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Ho ho ho!!!

Is THAT why you defile Peter Forsberg cards now???

I defile them because he is a Fairy, and the largest whiner to ever play the game. Floppa is a Man-Pansy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast