Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Gretzky RC Question

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See harpercollector's Items on eBay

Gretzky RC Question

Hey all,

Soooo, my friend sends me a text today telling me that he's at his grandparents and they have two Gretzky rookie cards. Not have even being born when Gretzky was playing, I know NOTHING about anything pre-lockout cards!
    But I am familiar with the fact that there are 2 variations of the famous Gretzky OPC rookie. So can anyone tell me if these 2 cards are the real deal or just the less expensive variation, any help is appreciated!

Thanks all,
    Colin.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rkkwong's Items on eBay

You have to check the back to see if they are the Topps or OPC version.
    Tradelist/wantlist: Hidden Content

Looking for Buffalo Bills and HOFers auto/GU in football and Auston Matthews & vintage players GU/autos in hockey

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

At first glance, they look real. The centering isn't great - which leads me to think that they're probably legit. Fakes usually look crisp.

The other thing to check for, is the yellow dot above his shoulder. Fakes won't have one, most real ones do.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See game8's Items on eBay

Like Ranfordfan said the yellow dot is ne thing to lok for and the one on the right does not look to hae it in this picture. However if it is topps i dont know what the sign for a real one are.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The left one is a legit OPC RC.

The one on the right - is it Topps? If so, congratulations, you've got a real one of those. If it's OPC, it's a counterfeit - at least it appears to be based on the photo. If there's a yellow dot on the shoulder that isn't picked up by the photo, it's real.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

The left one is a legit OPC RC.

The one on the right - is it Topps? If so, congratulations, you've got a real one of those. If it's OPC, it's a counterfeit - at least it appears to be based on the photo. If there's a yellow dot on the shoulder that isn't picked up by the photo, it's real.

Thanks everyone! Are the Topps ones somewhat rare, is the OPC version more valuable?
    Oh and grats on the niners victory! Super bowl bound!!!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

OPC tends to be the more collectible version of the two and is more highly valued.
    Topps are a bit tougher to find in Canada, as historically OPC was released in Canada and Topps in the US.

Words cannot describe how happy I am about the Niners. :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

OPC tends to be the more collectible version of the two and is more highly valued.
    Topps are a bit tougher to find in Canada, as historically OPC was released in Canada and Topps in the US.

Words cannot describe how happy I am about the Niners. :)

Prototype comeback, they deserved every ounce of it! :)