Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forgiveness in Sports?

A few things recently have got me wondering how we as sports fans both as individuals and collectively, approach forgiveness in sports. We have had players charged with vehicular-manslaughter, players charged with murder, players guilty of performance enhancing drugs, cheating, and even fake girlfriends! How do you decide what you forgive and what you hold on to? Do you evaluate by player? Does their admission of guilt effect things? Just this week we have dealt with Teo, Lance Armstrong, and one that has stood out to me is that a large number of fans seem unable or unwilling to let go of spygate when it comes to Brady, but nearly no one holds ray lewis' double-murder charge against him. Now, the patriots were found guilty and ray lewis got off by giving testimony against his friends, but is that the reason?
    Not wanting the thread to just be about Brady and Lewis, but that is what got me thinking.
    bucket:Hidden Content

Wants: Anything mma as well as nice texans patches

for me, it's all about the way they respond to their mistakes. athletes are human, they will make mistakes. trying to cover up mistakes or not owning up to them is where i draw the line.

guys like Armstrong and Bellicheck are easy for me to dislike for those reasons.

i'm on the fence with Ray Lewis. not sure he ever owned up to anything but it was a long time ago so maybe he did?
    Collecting Autos of Kopitar, Robitaille, Dionne, Vachon, Kyle Clifford and Tretiak
    Hidden Content
    want list - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by gretzky99 View Post
    for me, it's all about the way they respond to their mistakes.
    This is how I view it as well. I also look at intent. I care far less about Armstrong's cheating than I do about the nasty bully mentality he showed in attacking those who did nothing but tell the truth.
    My Bucket: Hidden Content

Looking for high end:
    99' PTT Autos: Walter, & Emmitt - 01' Quantum Leaf AMM: Barry & Emmitt - BGS 9.5 HOF RCs

Dual/Triple Autos or Multicolor Patches of Walter/Barry/Emmitt/Brown

I happen to be disgusted the way the media glorifies Ray Lewis. I can't come to terms with that, the guy was involved with murder.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Lance Armstrong thingy really baffles me, when these major endorsers make millions of dollars off their products endorsed by Armstrong, now they decide to chop him off at the knees, corporate America for you, the guy raised and contributed millions to the best cause of all, trying to keep us, our families and our friends free from Cancer. As far as Ray Lewis, I wasn't there and can't say either way, but you get caught in the wrong neighborhood, it becomes about survival. Media, Media, Media is to blame for everything.

Too many athletes use the "wrong place wrong time" excuse.These are adults correct.Your a multi million dollar star why are you in seedy strip clubs or questionable bars.With that kind of money you can get a strip club shut down for private shows.These guys don't use their heads.As for Ray Lewis great football players but he got off by turning on friends and they took the fall.Maybe he was innocent,maybe not but we will never know because ESPN has been blowimg him since he got off on the charges.

Quote Originally Posted by scubakuda19 View Post
    Lance Armstrong thingy really baffles me, when these major endorsers make millions of dollars off their products endorsed by Armstrong, now they decide to chop him off at the knees, corporate America for you, the guy raised and contributed millions to the best cause of all, trying to keep us, our families and our friends free from Cancer. As far as Ray Lewis, I wasn't there and can't say either way, but you get caught in the wrong neighborhood, it becomes about survival. Media, Media, Media is to blame for everything.
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

I lost all credibility for Lance Armstrong after I found out that he was bullying people that knew the truth. How did that turn out, what a waste! Ray Lewis was involved in a double-murder, gave some testimony, probably wrote some nice checks, and flat out got away with no jail time. Manti T'eo did all of that stuff for publicity and now I hope he drops down in the 1st round. Something isn't right in his head.
    Hidden Content
    **Hidden Content **
    Bucket Updated 8/22/14

Quote Originally Posted by scubakuda19 View Post
    so two people ended up stabbed to death and the media is to blame for everything? not sure i understand
    bucket:Hidden Content

Wants: Anything mma as well as nice texans patches

Isn't Ray Lewis suppose to be some big religious guy? I mean he always talks about God this and Jesus that. Did he find religion after he hid evidence of a bloody jacket involved in a murder or was he always on board? The guy is a total phony and outside of the media being afraid of him stabbing them while they ask him questions I don't get it. Sure he is a great football player and he means a lot to Baltimore but is that worth more than the loss of someone's life?
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I need to go back and read the facts on the Ray Lewis trial. Anyone have a good link that's not full of opinion and speculation?
    My Bucket: Hidden Content

Looking for high end:
    99' PTT Autos: Walter, & Emmitt - 01' Quantum Leaf AMM: Barry & Emmitt - BGS 9.5 HOF RCs

Dual/Triple Autos or Multicolor Patches of Walter/Barry/Emmitt/Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast