Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    I was never really high on Elvis to begin with but if the Dbacks traded away Justin Upton and just got him in return they would be getting ripped of. I remember when Justin Upton went #1 and was "the next Griffey". I don't think he is Griffey level talent now but if motivated he can be an MVP type player on a winning team. Elvis is a nice SS but I don't get why Arizona couldn't get more for Justin Upton. I guess the $14 million he is owed in 2014 and $14.5 million he is owed in 2015 is turning a lot of teams off.
    I think your looking at it backwards. I'm sure the D-Backs would love to get a great shortstop like Andrus, open up around $10 million in salary (not sure what Andrus is making), and have a spot for Cody Ross to play full-time if it meant trading Upton straight across.

Especially since they're trying now to make a deal with Atlanta for unproven SS Andre Simmons involving Upton.
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    I think your looking at it backwards. I'm sure the D-Backs would love to get a great shortstop like Andrus, open up around $10 million in salary (not sure what Andrus is making), and have a spot for Cody Ross to play full-time if it meant trading Upton straight across.

Especially since they're trying now to make a deal with Atlanta for unproven SS Andre Simmons involving Upton.
    They would have been trading a guy who was the #1 pick in the draft and was hyped as the next Ken Griffey Jr. and then end up moving him for Elivs Andrus. Yeah that wouldn't be a good move for them. Is is better than what the Braves just sent them? Probably but I still think the Dbacks are selling very low on Justin Upton. He has MVP type ability and can be one of the best outfielders in baseball (unless there is an unknown factor I don't know about him).
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

he strikes me as a prima donna- hes good, really good, when he wants to be- but if he doesnt want to be- he isnt. think the d-backs got what they wanted (rid of him)
    whether the trade works out for them remains to be seen, but if he was a cancer in the clubhouse, then Im sure they are glad he is gone
    taking a break from trading

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    They would have been trading a guy who was the #1 pick in the draft and was hyped as the next Ken Griffey Jr. and then end up moving him for Elivs Andrus. Yeah that wouldn't be a good move for them. Is is better than what the Braves just sent them? Probably but I still think the Dbacks are selling very low on Justin Upton. He has MVP type ability and can be one of the best outfielders in baseball (unless there is an unknown factor I don't know about him).
    It's all about what you can afford to part with and what you need.

What did Arizona have an extra ammount of that they could afford to part with? Outfielders. What did they desperatley need? A good shortstop and to free payroll space.

A lot of people said the same thing you did a few decades ago about the Dodgers trading Bob Welch (one of the best pitchers in baseball at that time) for slick fielding shortstop Alfredo Griffin and closer Jay Howell (filling the 2 biggest holes the Dodgers had going into the 1988 season). Many Dodger fans and anaylists said the Dodgers were foolish to give up a pitcher of the quality that Welch was for the players they got, but starting pitching was one thing the Dodgers could afford to give up and Griffin and Howell played key roles in the Dodgers push to World Series Champion that year (even though Kirk Gibson was the heartbeat of the Dodgers that year).

But I think we both agree the deal Arizona got from the Braves for Upton was a big step down
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

D-Backs choked on the Bauer deal, but ESPECIALLY with Upton. The Seattle packed would've secured Arizona's future (well you can never say that for sure), but there were multiple stud prospects in that package. Nothing against Randall Delgado, but the package they agreed on is NOT AS GOOD. They screwed up. I'll see them at the bottom of the pile with the Padres and Rockies. If the Dodgers can beat the Giants, they can run away with the division.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

The Diamondbacks traded their 25 year old franchise player, and the 3rd pick of the 2011 draft, and got virtually nothing in return, Arizona deserves to lose...
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

Quote Originally Posted by palantri View Post
    he strikes me as a prima donna- hes good, really good, when he wants to be- but if he doesnt want to be- he isnt. think the d-backs got what they wanted (rid of him)
    whether the trade works out for them remains to be seen, but if he was a cancer in the clubhouse, then Im sure they are glad he is gone
    I don't know why you would think he's a primma donna. Barry Bonds and Andruw Jones, those are prima donnas. But I've never seen anything or heard anything from him that would warrant that association.

Nor do I see Upton as a clubhouse cancer because of Kirk Gibson. He loves Upton as a player and didn't want to see him go. He never put up with that 'prima donna/club house cancer' kind of attitude from a teammate during his playing days and I'm sure he wouldn't put up with it from one of his players as a manager or I think you would've seen Upton gone before last season.

This deal seemed to be purely about money and the D-Backs being cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    I don't know why you would think he's a primma donna. Barry Bonds and Andruw Jones, those are prima donnas. But I've never seen anything or heard anything from him that would warrant that association.

Nor do I see Upton as a clubhouse cancer because of Kirk Gibson. He loves Upton as a player and didn't want to see him go. He never put up with that 'prima donna/club house cancer' kind of attitude from a teammate during his playing days and I'm sure he wouldn't put up with it from one of his players as a manager or I think you would've seen Upton gone before last season.

This deal seemed to be purely about money and the D-Backs being cheap.
    The opposite, actually. Kirk Gibson didn't like him because he wasn't "gritty" enough, apparently.

Notice the trend though:

Kirk Gibson doesn't like Trevor Bauer, he gets traded.
    Kirk Gibson doesn't like Chris Johnson, he gets traded.
    Kirk Gibson doesn't like Justin Upton, he gets traded.

Maybe the problem is Gibson?
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

That's strange...

When Trevor Bauer came up last year I had heard that Gibson was "excited" about him and thought he had great stuff.

Gibson does seem to come from the Sparky Anderson school of managing, though. "I like a nice tendered garden. If I find a weed, I yank it out.", Sparky used to say to his players. I wouldn't be suprised at all to find out Gibson has influeced all these moves just because he doesn't think the players involved are 'hard-nosed' enough.

Arizona royally blew it giving Bauer away. This is just piling on the extra laughs.

Who's the next out the door, Paul Goldschmidt?

They got one guy, though, that I think could be a real nice hitter in Brandon Drury. Seems like an afterthought in this trade because he had an awful 2012 at A ball. But he just crushed it the year before in rookie ball. A year ago Baseball Instinct said some were thinking he could be the heir apparent to Chipper, and coaches and some scouts were raving about his potential. He's got to step it up in a big way, but if he does, the 'Backs might have a nice piece.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12