RHP Jeff Niemann
    RHP Alex Cobb

Bullpen

RHP Fernando Rodney
    RHP Joel Peralta
    LHP Jake McGee
    RHP Brandon Gomes
    LHP Cesar Ramos
    RHP Roberto Hernandez (formerly Fausto Carmona)

Starting Lineup

LF Desmond Jennings
    SS Yunel Escobar
    3B Evan Longoria
    DH Matt Joyce
    RF Ben Zobrist
    1B James Loney
    2B Ryan Roberts
    C Jose Molina
    CF Jason Bourgeois

Reserve

C Chris Giminez
    2B Mike Fontenot
    3B Sean Rodriguez
    SS Elliot Johnson
    RF Sam Fuld

Rays look to have the deepest starting rotation in the division and veterans Rodney, Peralta, and McGee anchor down a solid bullpen. But they're gonna need it with what looks to be a pop gun offense. 5 of the 9 projected starters batted under .250 and Longoria and Zobrist (the only players on the team who have ever hit 20+ homeruns) were the only 2 of this lineup to bat .260 or better last year. Longoria might not see a decent hittable pitch all year.

Expect the Rays to go to their minor league system (which seems to be as deep and rich in pitching as any in baseball) a lot this year. They'll most likely need it if they want to make a push for the division. I doubt the Rays will call up their top prospects (namely outfielder Wil Myers and pitcher Chris Archer) until May so the can save a year in arbitration on those players.

My opinion? Don't count the Rays out yet. They've made the playoffs 3 times and won 90+ games 4 times out of the last 5 years with teams like this. Why? Cause great pitching and defense are still the fundamentals of winning baseball games, and the Rays still seem to have a lot of both.
    Last edited by Ledd Raubstur; 01-22-2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: fixed allignment
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

I think Blue Jays rotation is much better.

I agree with AllenGinterSigned regarding the Blue Jays having the best rotation in the AL East, but the Rays' rotation is young and good - and they have 2 more good, young arms in Archer and Guerrieri waiting in the wings. Good enough that they can even deal someone like Shields and still have a strong staff.
    Collecting 1974 Topps (84% complete) and 1957-2013 Topps Phillies cards (50.2% complete).
    PC's: Chase Utley, Mark Trumbo, & David Price.
    My Bucket: Hidden Content
    My Haves/Wants Lists (still a work in progress): Hidden Content
    As of 3/16/13, no PWE's please. I use DC; so should you.

If Matt Moore takes a step forward like I expect him to, their rotation is the best in the AL East, and I'm a believe in them making the postseason. I would take Jeff Neimann out of the rotation, only because there is a 99% chance he gets injured for a while during the season, it's probably best to just act like he's not there.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

I don't necessisarily agree with Ginter or Dave. At the very least Tampa Bays rotation matches up evenly with Torontos staff. In fact I expect Dickey, Johnson, and Buehrle for their ERAs to go up. All three pitched for teams that play in good pitchers parks last year and now they move into one of the best hitters parks in baseball.
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

The Rays would've had the best rotation, but trading Shields really put a dent into the rotation. Shields is arguably the most consistent pitcher in all of baseball. Their current rotation is full of young and talented pitchers, but I want to see more out of them before I jump to conclusions and say they have the best rotation in the East. Currently, I think the Jays and Yanks both have better rotations.

I agree that they have the worst offense in the AL East....
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by baseballboy2 View Post
    The Rays would've had the best rotation, but trading Shields really put a dent into the rotation. Shields is arguably the most consistent pitcher in all of baseball. Their current rotation is full of young and talented pitchers, but I want to see more out of them before I jump to conclusions and say they have the best rotation in the East. Currently, I think the Jays and Yanks both have better rotations.
    Uh.......you sure you meant James Shields?
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Quote Originally Posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    Uh.......you sure you meant James Shields?
    Yes I do. His numbers have been pretty consistent over the past few years. He has also proven that he can perform in big games and stay healthy. He has had 30+ starts in each of the last 6 seasons. He's one heck of a work horse. I'd love to have him on my team.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballboy2 View Post
    Yes I do. His numbers have been pretty consistent over the past few years. He has also proven that he can perform in big games and stay healthy. He has had 30+ starts in each of the last 6 seasons. He's one heck of a work horse. I'd love to have him on my team.
    He's more consistent than Verlander? Kershaw? Halladay? Lee? Hamels? Weaver? Felix Hernandez? etc etc

He is durable, but I'd be curious what you would call 'big games', seems like a false narrative to me. Shields is good, but I don't see how anyone can even argue he's the most consistent pitcher in Baseball, he's not even an 'ace' really.
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast