Phillies sign OF Delmon Young

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/88...lphia-phillies

In just a few months, Delmon Young went from MVP of the American League championship series to a guy hoping for an opportunity.

Young got that chance Tuesday, signing a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Phillies for $750,000.

The 27-year-old outfielder batted .267 with 27 doubles, 18 homers and 74 RBIs for Detroit last season. He hit .313 with three homers and a team-high nine RBIs during 13 playoff games and was MVP against of the ALCS against the New York Yankees. The Tigers were swept by San Francisco in the World Series.

Young made $6.75 million last year, but off-field issues cost him a lucrative, multiyear deal. He was suspended without pay for seven days by Major League Baseball after an incident outside a New York City hotel last spring. Young later pleaded guilty to aggravated harassment for shouting an anti-Semitic slur and tackling a man to the ground.

The Phillies are counting on Young to stay out of trouble and provide balance in a lineup that's filled with left-handed hitters. The team has sought a right-handed corner outfielder with power throughout the offseason. He could fit into the lineup in the No. 5 spot behind Chase Utley and cleanup hitter Ryan Howard.

"Delmon is an experienced major league bat who will add some depth to our relatively inexperienced outfield and another layer of competition for playing time there as well," general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said in a statement.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I'm very torn on this. He's been a problem child for a while now, but from all I've read the past day or so, he looks as if he may be trying to turn over a new leaf (we'll see). They signed him to play a corner OF spot, but his defense leaves a lot to be desired (a LOT). It appears that he can still hit some. The only upside to this is that they signed him relatively cheaply ($750K), so if he doesn't work out, they can just let him go. If he hits and behaves, it will be a steal.

What I'm hoping this does do is spur Domonic Brown to finally live up to all of his hype from a few years ago.
    Last edited by ProspectorDave; 01-23-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    Collecting 1974 Topps (84% complete) and 1957-2013 Topps Phillies cards (50.2% complete).
    PC's: Chase Utley, Mark Trumbo, & David Price.
    My Bucket: Hidden Content
    My Haves/Wants Lists (still a work in progress): Hidden Content
    As of 3/16/13, no PWE's please. I use DC; so should you.

Yeah they signed him cheap enough that even if he implodes with the Phillies they can just cut him and it really won't impact the payroll. Really no downside to signing him for this low of a price other than the PR backlash.

He is a headcase but does have tons pf potential at 27.He is proven in the playoffs well against the yankees anyways.He kills us glad to see him go
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

Not only is Delmon Young a bad player, but he's an even worse person.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Quote Originally Posted by ajcorleone View Post
    He is a headcase but does have tons pf potential at 27.He is proven in the playoffs well against the yankees anyways.He kills us glad to see him go
    Yeah he seems to beat the heck out of the Yankees in the playoffs so I'm glad to see him go to the NL

Quote Originally Posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    Not only is Delmon Young a bad player, but he's an even worse person.
    Eh, I think Detroit was just unlucky that he didn't produce as well for them as they'd hoped, even though his HR/AB and RBI/Game ratio were better for Detroit than when he played for Minnesota and Tampa Bay.

Even though he'll be in a weaker lineup, I think he has the potential to put up some great numbers playing in one of the best hitters parks. If an incentive laden contract doesn't motivate him to produce a career year, nothing will.

He could be a real sleeper in some baseball fantasy leagues this year, me thinks...
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    Eh, I think Detroit was just unlucky that he didn't produce as well for them as they'd hoped, even though his HR/AB and RBI/Game ratio were better for Detroit than when he played for Minnesota and Tampa Bay.

Even though he'll be in a weaker lineup, I think he has the potential to put up some great numbers playing in one of the best hitters parks. If an incentive laden contract doesn't motivate him to produce a career year, nothing will.

He could be a real sleeper in some baseball fantasy leagues this year, me thinks...
    The RBI 'production' came from the fact he hit behind Austin Jackson, Miguel Cabrera, and Prince Fielder, and he couldn't even drive in 100 runs still, despite ALWAYS having guys on base.

I'm happy he's gone, he's such a waste of any talent he has left, and he's such a terrible human being as well. Let him go try and ruin someone elses team.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283