Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel To Banks: Stop Supporting Gun Makers

    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...ng-gun-makers/

    Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is putting more pressure on gun makers to get behind his push for an assault weapons ban and criminal background checks for gun purchasers.

    This time, he wants to go after their bottom line.

    Emanuel is pushing two major financial institutions to stop their financial backing of gun makers, unless those companies support “commonsense reforms, including requiring criminal background checks on all gun sales.”

    The mayor is urging that banks to stop lines of credit, financing for acquisitions and expansions and financial advising.

    In a letter sent Friday to the CEOs of Bank Of America and TD Bank, Emanuel said: “In the past, the gun industry has stood in opposition to these safety measures. They opposed a ban on assault weapons on America’s streets, opposed a ban on military-style clips, opposed a criminal background check on all gun purchases and opposed any effort to crack down on criminal gun traffickers.”

    In the letter, Emanuel says TD Bank offers a $60 million line of credit to Smith & Wesson, which produces the AR-15. That is the weapon used by James Holmes in the Aurora, Colo., theater massacre that killed 12 people. Emanuel wrote.

    Emanuel told CEO Bharat Masrani “to use your influence to push this company to find common ground” on an assault weapons ban and gun background checks.

    In a separate letter, Emanuel urged Bank Of America CEO Brian T. Moynihan to do the same thing with Sturm, Ruger & Co., which has a $25 million line of credit with the bank.

    “Collectively we can send a clear and unambiguous message to the entire gun industry that investors will no longer financially support companies that support gun violence,” Emanuel wrote.

    Last week, Emanuel ordered a portfolio analysis from the five pension and retirement funds for Chicago employees to determine if fund managers hold financial interests in companies that manufacture or sell assault weapons.

    This week, the Chicago Municipal Employees Annuity and Benefit Fund (MEABF) board voted to divest more than $1 million from three companies that manufacture assault weapons – Freedom Group, Smith and Wesson and Sturm Ruger.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Ahhh Rahm... He lives to his word.. " You never want a serious crisis to go to waste, and what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things that you think you could not do before." - Rahm Emanuel.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution" - John Adams, March 4, 1797 – March 4, 1801

  3. #3
    This is a utter waste of time and completely stupid. All of them are in cahootz together. The banks, the gov't, gun manufactures, drug companies, etc. Even if the second amendment is appealed i promise you not a single gun manufacture will go out of business. They will simply produce their product overseas so it can be sold on the black market over here while criminals have a field day on law abiding citizens who have no legal right to defend themself. All while the gov't pretends that everything is ok.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  4. #4
    “Collectively we can send a clear and unambiguous message to the entire gun industry that investors will no longer financially support companies that support gun violence,” Emanuel wrote.
    Does he realize that less than 5% of the gun deaths in America involve these so called assault rifles? Does he think that gun violence will disappear when the majority of gun deaths are from hand guns and they aren't outlawing those? Or does he not care about gun violence with a hand gun or shot gun? Guess he doesn't if you look at the facts showing the rise in gun deaths since he took over Chicago and his unwillingness to do anything about the violence death and carnage that is being unleashed on his constituents.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

  5. #5
    One death by assault rifle is one too many, I'm afraid. You seem pleased with the figure being less than 5%.

    For shame

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
    One death by assault rifle is one too many, I'm afraid. You seem pleased with the figure being less than 5%.

    For shame
    I was replying to the fact that he thinks he is going to end gun violence by "stopping" something responsible for 5% of the deaths while he is totally ignoring what causes the other 95%. If you wanted to end gun violence then you would stop all gun violence not just what is causing the least amount of it.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

  7. #7

  8. #8


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    16,770
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    I was replying to the fact that he thinks he is going to end gun violence by "stopping" something responsible for 5% of the deaths while he is totally ignoring what causes the other 95%. If you wanted to end gun violence then you would stop all gun violence not just what is causing the least amount of it.
    The misstep is thinking gun violence can be stopped. It can be lessened, contained somewhat, but it will never end.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •