Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Spoilers for Leaf's Best of Hockey?

Since Leaf has not released a checklist, just thought you guys might be interested to know that Leaf Trading Cards LLC bought an item off of me a little while ago. It was a 2011 Goodwin Champions Bobby Orr Autograph SP. I would assume this is for the upcoming release. The email attached to the account is an @leaftradingcards.com address and the shipping location was Texas.

If anyone has some free time and is interested in doing a little searching, the ebay username is topdollar4autos.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the heads-up! Pretty interesting stuff :-) A quick search and only 6 hockey cards were purchased for more than $200 US and not a single one went for $400 or more. So there you have it! I'm sure there will be 10-15 big money cards in total spread through out the whole run, but we just figured out that you can pretty much get anything you want off of eBay for less than the price of a pack. Hoooray!! Finally a win for Zoidberg!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (29)
    Country
    See wogman5656's Items on eBay

I sold them two cards about four months ago, an Ovechkin SPGU Significance /15 and a Brodeur SP Authentic Auto/Patch /100. I'm keeping my eye out for them when the product comes out, could be kind of cool to see my cards "re-released".

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

Thanks for the heads-up! Pretty interesting stuff :-) A quick search and only 6 hockey cards were purchased for more than $200 US and not a single one went for $400 or more. So there you have it! I'm sure there will be 10-15 big money cards in total spread through out the whole run, but we just figured out that you can pretty much get anything you want off of eBay for less than the price of a pack. Hoooray!! Finally a win for Zoidberg!

It should be apparent to most people that over the entire production run, the value of the cards in the packs is not going to amount to what it costs to buy all of those packs. Leaf is a business that does this to make money. They are not going to do this on a break-even or loss basis. For example, if their profit margin on the product is 25% and they bought $800,000 worth of cards on the secondary market, the costs of the packs will be $1,000,000. Add in the wholesalers profit margin and the LCS profit margin and the cost to the buyer is probably closer to $1,500,000 for the entire production run. On these type of buyback products, the basic rules of business and economics dictate that the value in the product on a whole will be nowhere close to what it costs the end buyer and there is nothing wrong with that. Further, for every Orr or Gretzky rookie card, there needs to be cards under the average cost to balance it out. For every $1,000 card, there needs to be five $40 cards if the average cost is $200 per card. Just saying that anyone who buys this type of product is taking a risk because the odds are not with you, but that is no different than any other wax out there. At least with this stuff you know what the ceiling is.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (87)
    Country

So I checked his feedback of the last few days... I saw a couple hockey cards, a bit more baseball and football... And a boatload of Benchwarmers cards. Leafs Best Of Benchwarmers coming up? ;-)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just saw a listing currently on ebay in which a seller pulled an 08 09 sp authentic rc patch of Steven Stamkos 83/100 from the leafs Best of hockey set. I realized this used to be my card which I sold to a collector here in Canada over a year and a half ago. Thats pretty cool.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See boofish's Items on eBay

I sold them two cards about four months ago, an Ovechkin SPGU Significance /15 and a Brodeur SP Authentic Auto/Patch /100. I'm keeping my eye out for them when the product comes out, could be kind of cool to see my cards "re-released".

I sold leaf a bunch of Gordie Howe auto cards, mostly in the $75-$100 range, really good experience dealing with them. I was also excited to see my cards being re-released into the market. Figured how cool it may be to pull a card I once owned, but then realized I don't buy un-opened product

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

After seeing this thread pop up again I went over to the eBay there and took a look and..................lemme get this straight, each pack has one art card and one buyback? For $249? Is that right??

I think EVERYONE is selling their "art" cards, and some of them I think I could have done a better job on. The completed sales on them are anywhere from $15 for the cartoony ones to $100 for a Bobby Orr, average $30-50........... There's only a few buybacks up for bids or sale, so far they look better than History of Hockey, but seeing as there's only one chance for a hit instead of four, and a The Cup Bobby Orr auto sold for $100, Eberle YG for $56, 11/12 SPGU Crosby Significance auto for $92, do the math and it's back to being a complete waste of my money again, except I'm passing this time................

Mr Negative, over and OUT!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See boofish's Items on eBay

I think EVERYONE is selling their "art" cards, and some of them I think I could have done a better job on. The completed sales on them are anywhere from $15 for the cartoony ones to $100 for a Bobby Orr, average $30-50........... There's only a few buybacks up for bids or sale, so far they look better than History of Hockey, but seeing as there's only one chance for a hit instead of four, and a The Cup Bobby Orr auto sold for $100, Eberle YG for $56, 11/12 SPGU Crosby Significance auto for $92, do the math and it's back to being a complete waste of my money again, except I'm passing this time................

Mr Negative, over and OUT!

Speaking of some of the sketch cards, you're absolutely right that some are cartoony, Ive seen some sketch cards drawn by members here on SCF and those bootlegs on ebay, that blow the leaf cards away. On the flipside this Gretzky I picked off ebay for $30 is amazing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Speaking of some of the sketch cards, you're absolutely right that some are cartoony, Ive seen some sketch cards drawn by members here on SCF and those bootlegs on ebay, that blow the leaf cards away. On the flipside this Gretzky I picked off ebay for $30 is amazing.

Yah that ain't bad, here's hoping the buyback was "worth" $219 hahahahahaaaaa!!!!