Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Source: Jets to shop Darrelle Revis

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...cording-source

Pessimistic about the chances of re-signing Darrelle Revis before he becomes a free agent next year, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is open to trading the star cornerback, a person familiar with Johnson's thinking said Wednesday night.

Revis' contract will void after the 2013 season, and there is a clause in the deal that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag.

If they don't sign Revis to an extension, the Jets could lose him as a free agent.

A tweet from Revis read: "I'm speechless by far but more importantly I feel more upset for the jet nation for having to go through this!!"

At the introductory news conference Thursday for new general manager John Idzik, the GM wouldn't lend any substance to possible roster changes.

"I can't comment, really," Idzik said. "I'm literally hours into the building. That we're going to save for our evaluation process."

The fact that Revis is just three months removed from major knee surgery complicates the matter. There also are salary-cap ramifications that could hinder a potential trade.

Johnson has "no confidence" in the Jets' ability to re-sign Revis, the person familiar with the owner's thinking said. Despite the knee injury, Revis could seek more than $16 million per year, which could be prohibitive for the cap-strapped Jets. They're already $19.4 million over the 2013 salary cap.

Revis is due to make $6 million in 2013, including $3 million in base pay and the rest in various bonus money.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Hmmm I wonder if there will be any biters?
    I collect Montee Ball, Denver Broncos, Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon, Chris Borland, Brett Smith
    Hidden Content Hidden Content /Hidden Content

Ouch..Don't think he wants to be traded. Also Rex dosen't want him to go either..Doubt he wil

he said he was shocked to hear his name on the block... if you ask me, he shouldnt feel hurt, he held that team hostage 2 yrs in a row and the GM who said he'll get a new contract this season, is no longer there. Their best bet is to trade him

I'd want out of NY if I were him. The team is a joke and their fans deserve better.
    My Bucket: Hidden Content

Looking for high end:
    99' PTT Autos: Walter, & Emmitt - 01' Quantum Leaf AMM: Barry & Emmitt - BGS 9.5 HOF RCs

Dual/Triple Autos or Multicolor Patches of Walter/Barry/Emmitt/Brown

i just read about this on nfl.com. revis doesnt want to leave....of course he doesnt. he's comfortable there and is the #1 cb. considered the best player on the team. of course he's considered the best cb in the league, but ultimately i see the gm trimming contracts and restructuring the team. that would involve revis taking a pay cut which he wont do. he'll go to another team who will pay him a rediculous amount. like mario williams did last year except revis wont flop.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

Who would want to trade for him? Talent aside, he has held his team hostage over a new contract, has a clause in his contract that prevents the franchise tag from being applied and he will want ridiculous money when most teams are struggling to stay under the cap. I don't know what teams might be interested, but giving up significant draft picks and having to pay him crazy money on top of it probably isn't what many teams will want to do. They will just keep their draft picks and then spend the big bucks next year to sign him.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    Who would want to trade for him? Talent aside, he has held his team hostage over a new contract, has a clause in his contract that prevents the franchise tag from being applied and he will want ridiculous money when most teams are struggling to stay under the cap. I don't know what teams might be interested, but giving up significant draft picks and having to pay him crazy money on top of it probably isn't what many teams will want to do. They will just keep their draft picks and then spend the big bucks next year to sign him.
    I agree with this. Even if a team wants to gamble on him, I can't see them giving up that high of picks with him coming off a knee injury and in the last year of his deal. On top of that, rumors have him wanting $16M per year. That's steep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast