Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Worst Outfield in the Game

How can you fix an outfield of this quality? Where can you turn? What can you do?

The New York Mets at this moment have one of the worst outfields I've ever seen. This only rivals the 2003 Mets outfield which included Karim Garcia and Roger Cedeno in every day roles. There is no one on this team who is of major league quality, and all of them served time in the minors this season.

Their active outfielders are:

Mike Baxter: Famous for his great catch to preserve Johan's no-hitter, but doesn't do anything else. No power, no speed, barely even an average hitter. Besides that great catch, he isn't a spectacular fielder. He belongs on the bench, or in AAA. Thanks for the catch, now move along.

Colin Cowgill: Started off on the D-Backs, ended up on Oakland. Bounced between Triple-A and the majors all season. Not a great glove, not a good bat. Doesn't hit for average or power. Plus we traded a solid prospect in Jefry Marte to get him. Bad deal. Belongs in the minors.

Lucas Duda: What can be said. Pretty awesome power, but nothing else. Clumsiest player I've ever watched, has no speed, no agility, no grace in the outfield, no glove, not a great arm, and no average. Adding to that, he's a doom and gloom guy with a bad attitude. He spent time in Buffalo last season, where he belongs. Low quality outfielder. Maybe a DH?

Juan Lagares: Who? He wears 76, and that's never a good sign. He has no Major League experience whatsoever.

Kirk Nieuwenhuis: Burst onto the scene as an exciting hitter with decent speed and a solid glove in the outfield. As he gained trust from the Mets coaching staff, he began to strike out more and more often to the point where it was almost every at bat. He lost confidence, his average plummeted, and he finished the season in AAA with a broken foot. Needs more seasoning.

Cesar Puello: Cesar also has no Major League experience. He wears 67, and the kid is barely 21. Can't really judge him. Needs more time on the farm.

Jordany Valdespin: Clocked an extremely clutch home run off Papelbon at CB Park in the 9th inning to either tie or win it for the Mets. The fans fell in love with him, and Valdespin challenged the record for most pinch hit home runs in a season. Game after game he'd prove to be reliable off the bench, and his swinging for the fences every time worked! He couldn't find a spot defensively where he was comfortable, and started making major miscues that became game-losers. He's a fast guy with a solid bat who is still too young. He spent time in AAA in the beginning and after the all-star break. Not major league ready.

That sums it up. 7 active outfielders, no major league quality outfielders, all of whom spent time in the minors.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

Can't argue that OF sucks
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

I think the Mets have more problems than just their outfield. Can I get an amen?

Amen!
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

Hallelulya brother!!

It's sad. The Mets are always one of those teams I root for to be winners since it rarely happens, especially lately. But the team looks so bad they might challenge their own record for losses in a season (which is scary since they set the MLB record in their inaugural year in 1962)

Poor David Wright might not see a decent hittable pitch all year...
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

The thing that sucks is that Wright will probably go the rest of his career without winning a championship. He will still probably be a HOFer, but his legacy won't be as great.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    cant argue with this assessment
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    Hallelulya brother!!

It's sad. The Mets are always one of those teams I root for to be winners since it rarely happens, especially lately. But the team looks so bad they might challenge their own record for losses in a season (which is scary since they set the MLB record in their inaugural year in 1962)

Poor David Wright might not see a decent hittable pitch all year...
    Hoping you didn't mean that :) I think 120 losses is a little unreasonable.

By my assessment, (and I've watched the Mets in the years where there was absolutely NO hope), this is a bridge season. They are going for it all in 2014. They're collecting their prospects and hoping for a Nationals type run next season. With Wright locked up, Harvey with a full season under his belt, plus hopefully some MLB experience for Wheeler and D'Arnaud, they will be ready for their big push next year. This season, this season will be no different from any other in recent memory. Definitely losses in the mid-high 80s for the Mets.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

They do have a lot of promise waiting in the minors, but yeah, that's a pretty bad outfield. I can see why they'd be pursuing Bourn, but not at the risk of losing a first-rounder.
    Collecting 1974 Topps (84% complete) and 1957-2013 Topps Phillies cards (50.2% complete).
    PC's: Chase Utley, Mark Trumbo, & David Price.
    My Bucket: Hidden Content
    My Haves/Wants Lists (still a work in progress): Hidden Content
    As of 3/16/13, no PWE's please. I use DC; so should you.

yea, that's not looking too good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast