Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    If I was the Tigers GM, I would offer the Mets this trade: Prince Fielder, Brennan Boesch, and Rick Porcello for David Wright and Johan Santana. I think it is a fair trade for both teams, money is pretty even, Mets get younger and fill a couple holes. Tigers would be better defensively, move Cabrera to 1st. The rotation would be :
    Verlander, Scherzer, Fister,Sanchez, Santana. What would Mets fans think? I think most would be for it.

  2. #12
    I don't think either team would do that.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by metsmagic18 View Post
    Hoping you didn't mean that :) I think 120 losses is a little unreasonable.

    By my assessment, (and I've watched the Mets in the years where there was absolutely NO hope), this is a bridge season. They are going for it all in 2014. They're collecting their prospects and hoping for a Nationals type run next season. With Wright locked up, Harvey with a full season under his belt, plus hopefully some MLB experience for Wheeler and D'Arnaud, they will be ready for their big push next year. This season, this season will be no different from any other in recent memory. Definitely losses in the mid-high 80s for the Mets.

    I'm not trying to dig @ the mets, but this is the worst overall team the mets have had in over 3 decades:

    starting lineup:

    2B Danny Murphy
    CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
    3B David Wright
    1B Ike Davis
    RF Lucas Duda
    C John Buck
    LF Mike Baxter
    SS Ruben Tejada

    bench

    C Landon Powell
    2B Justin Turner
    SS Brandon Hicks
    OF Colin Cowgill
    OF Andrew Brown

    starting rotation

    LHP Johan Santana
    RHP Shawn Marcum
    LHP John Niese
    RHP Dillon Gee
    RHP Matt Harvey

    bullpen

    RHP Bobby Parnell
    RHP Frank Fransisco
    LHP Aaron Laffey
    RHP Carlos Torres
    RHP Jenrry Mejia
    LHP Josh Edgin
    LHP Robert Carson

    (Didn't Brian Wilson sign with this team? He could have a big year pitching for the Mets. He's the kind of guy that wont get discouraged by pitching for a 2nd division team and will go out there looking to do his best)

    A very ho-hum team the Mets look to start with in 2013. Their starting rotation may be the only thing that keeps the Mets from a 100+ loss season since it's the only aspect of the team that shows any depth.

    The do have some bright spots comming out of their system like top minor league catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud and pitcher Zack Wheeler but don't expect them to come up until after May so the Mets can save a year in arbitration with those players. Also don't expect Mike Harvey to start the season in the rotation either if the Mets can save a year in arbitration by bringing him up after May as well (I don't know if that's possible since Harvey met the rookie pitcher qualification requirerments last year: 50+ IP)

    Are the 2013 Mets overall as bad as the 1962 team? No

    Is the rest of the NL (and teams their going to face in an expanded interleague) so much better overall than them that they could hold the Mets to 40 wins or less? Y E S . . .
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

    Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenGinterSigned View Post
    If I was the Tigers GM, I would offer the Mets this trade: Prince Fielder, Brennan Boesch, and Rick Porcello for David Wright and Johan Santana. I think it is a fair trade for both teams, money is pretty even, Mets get younger and fill a couple holes. Tigers would be better defensively, move Cabrera to 1st. The rotation would be :
    Verlander, Scherzer, Fister,Sanchez, Santana. What would Mets fans think? I think most would be for it.
    Yeah riiiiiiiiiigght....

    The Mets are in financial straights as it is. That's why unloaded R.A. Dickey so they wouldn't have to resign him to a lot of money. What makes you think they would want Fielder's huge contract??

    And why would Detroit want to accept a 34 year old pitcher who's on the decline and looks like he's going to put up no better overall stats that Porcello but for a lot more money???
    Last edited by Ledd Raubstur; 01-27-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

    Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    I'm not trying to dig @ the mets, but this is the worst overall team the mets have had in over 3 decades:

    starting lineup:

    2B Danny Murphy
    CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
    3B David Wright
    1B Ike Davis
    RF Lucas Duda
    C John Buck
    LF Mike Baxter
    SS Ruben Tejada

    bench

    C Landon Powell
    2B Justin Turner
    SS Brandon Hicks
    OF Colin Cowgill
    OF Andrew Brown

    starting rotation

    LHP Johan Santana
    RHP Shawn Marcum
    LHP John Niese
    RHP Dillon Gee
    RHP Matt Harvey

    bullpen

    RHP Bobby Parnell
    RHP Frank Fransisco
    LHP Aaron Laffey
    RHP Carlos Torres
    RHP Jenrry Mejia
    LHP Josh Edgin
    LHP Robert Carson

    (Didn't Brian Wilson sign with this team? He could have a big year pitching for the Mets. He's the kind of guy that wont get discouraged by pitching for a 2nd division team and will go out there looking to do his best)

    A very ho-hum team the Mets look to start with in 2013. Their starting rotation may be the only thing that keeps the Mets from a 100+ loss season since it's the only aspect of the team that shows any depth.

    The do have some bright spots comming out of their system like top minor league catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud and pitcher Zack Wheeler but don't expect them to come up until after May so the Mets can save a year in arbitration with those players. Also don't expect Mike Harvey to start the season in the rotation either if the Mets can save a year in arbitration by bringing him up after May as well (I don't know if that's possible since Harvey met the rookie pitcher qualification requirerments last year: 50+ IP)

    Are the 2013 Mets overall as bad as the 1962 team? No

    Is the rest of the NL (and teams their going to face in an expanded interleague) so much better overall than them that they could hold the Mets to 40 wins or less? Y E S . . .
    Now see, I completely disagree. The teams of they early '90s, (by that I mean '92 and '93 specifically), as well as 1980, and 2003 all place above the current team.

    In 1992 no player hit over 20 home runs, no starter hit over .280, and it was a team made up only of washed up veterans like an end of his career Eddie Murray, a declining Howard Johnson, and past their prime Vince Coleman, Daryl Boston, and Bobby Bonilla. The most pitching wins on the team was 14, and closer Anthony Young compiled 14 losses in a row. A drug used Dwight Gooden lost 13 games and a fat Sid Fernandez lost 11. This team was a complete disaster and they lost 90 games.

    In 1993 the Mets had their worst season since the mid '60s, they lost 103 games. This is the worst modern Mets team ever. Shea Stadium's attendance plummeted and fans were sick of the losing to the point where a fan ran on the field, threw money at Bobby Bonilla and asked him to collect his contract money and leave the team. The statistics on this team improve, Eddie Murray manages to collect exactly 100 RBI, Bobby Bonilla becomes the most hated Met ever but still hits 34 home runs, and we see a glimmer of hope from Jeff Kent. Individual performances aside, there was no chemistry and the team sucked. Shortstop, third base, left field, and center field compiled the stats of bench players who only got 100 at bats, but all of these guys had over 250. Pitching wise, one guy (Gooden) reached 10 wins. The next closest was Frank Tanana with 7 to go up against his 15 losses. Anthony Young finished at 1-16. John Franco only had 10 saves.

    In 2003, the Mets lost 95 games. This team could be the worst, as the most home runs was 18, the most RBIs was 71. Art Howe tried to stick Mike Piazza at first base and ruined his season. An old Robbie Alomar, a rookie Jose Reyes, and an outfield of Timo Perez, Jeff Duncan, Roger Cedeno, and sometimes Jeromy Burnitz belonged in the minors. Jason Philips and Vance Wilson pretended that they were ready for major league ball. The once feared Mo Vaughn hit 3 homers. Pitching improved, with a 15 win season from Al Leiter and a 16 win season from Steve Trachsel. No other pitcher recorded 10 wins for the year. Seo and Glavine lost 12 and 14 respectively. No reliever finished with a winning record.

    The 2013 Mets have an MVP threat in David Wright, a 30+ homer risk in Ike Davis at first matched with the speedy and slick fielding Kirk Nieuwenhuis (sometimes), and the occasionally powerful Lucas Duda. John Buck provides a good veteran presence behind the plate. Pitching wise, I think Harvey, Marcum, and Niese all could potentially have 14-15 win seasons. From Johan Santana, you never know! The bullpen is crummy yes, but Frank Francisco can hold down the closer role. I say another mediocre season, but only 85 wins at that. This team will just go down as another mediocre season no different from every season since 2009.

    Edit: The current Mets bench could pass off as the bench for a Double A team.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

  6. #16
    That's a rough outfield! I went to an Indians game in 2003 that comes to mind when the tribe's starting OF consisted of....(drumroll)....

    Chris Magruder
    Jolbert Cabrera
    Bruce Aven

  7. #17
    Wright would have to put up a hell-va year to be an 'MVP candidate' on a team that's gonna lose at least 90 games, mets-magic. He would have to have a year like Matt Kemp did 2 years ago to even get consideration but with the Mets move to citi field (even with the fences moved in last year) Wright hit only 21 homers last year and hasn't hit 30+ HRs in a season in half a decade and I don't see him topping 30 homers again unless he has better overall protection in the lineup than he currently has.
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

    Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

  8. #18
    This year is definitely a rebuilding year. As soon as we fix our pitching (this year), our offense turns to poop. I dont know why they cant fix both at the same time.
    Purdue University Class of 2018
    Hidden Content
    Andrew Bailey: 188/240 not including 1/1's (78.3%); 202/436 cards including 1/1's(46.3%)

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    Wright would have to put up a hell-va year to be an 'MVP candidate' on a team that's gonna lose at least 90 games, mets-magic. He would have to have a year like Matt Kemp did 2 years ago to even get consideration but with the Mets move to citi field (even with the fences moved in last year) Wright hit only 21 homers last year and hasn't hit 30+ HRs in a season in half a decade and I don't see him topping 30 homers again unless he has better overall protection in the lineup than he currently has.
    Wrights halfway stats last year were mvp quality
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    Yeah riiiiiiiiiigght....

    The Mets are in financial straights as it is. That's why unloaded R.A. Dickey so they wouldn't have to resign him to a lot of money. What makes you think they would want Fielder's huge contract??

    And why would Detroit want to accept a 34 year old pitcher who's on the decline and looks like he's going to put up no better overall stats that Porcello but for a lot more money???
    Reason for Mets- Money is about the same when you figure $ owed to Wright and Santana is $168.5 Million. Fielder is owed a little over $190 Million. Plus they get two young guys, Boesch and Porcello who still have potential. Mets have holes, and Santana has no trade value. This is a chance to get out of his money. Maybe the Tigers agree to eat $20 Million of Fielders contract to even up the money.

    Reason for Tigers- The owner is almost 90, and he wants to win now! Wright solidfies the defense, and Santana is a solid #5 starter. They would view Santana as a rental player and let him go when his contract expires.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •