Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenGinterSigned View Post
    Reason for Mets- Money is about the same when you figure $ owed to Wright and Santana is $168.5 Million. Fielder is owed a little over $190 Million. Plus they get two young guys, Boesch and Porcello who still have potential. Mets have holes, and Santana has no trade value. This is a chance to get out of his money. Maybe the Tigers agree to eat $20 Million of Fielders contract to even up the money.

Reason for Tigers- The owner is almost 90, and he wants to win now! Wright solidfies the defense, and Santana is a solid #5 starter. They would view Santana as a rental player and let him go when his contract expires.
    Mr. Ilitch is maxed out, besides, he loves himself star players, so he wouldn't trade Fielder.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

Quote Originally Posted by metsmagic18 View Post
    Wrights halfway stats last year were mvp quality

That's why they give the MVP award to numbers aquired over the whole season and not just based on the 1st half alone.

OK, ok, have it your way, I declare David Wright the first ever NL First-Half MVP Award Winner!!!!!!

Also aren't Posey's stats more impressive considering that the Giants were in a pennant race all year with the dodgers and he continually put up consistent stats with all the pressure on him, while David Wright's stats faded as the Mets fell out of contention?
    Last edited by Ledd Raubstur; 01-31-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGinterSigned View Post
    Reason for Mets- Money is about the same when you figure $ owed to Wright and Santana is $168.5 Million. Fielder is owed a little over $190 Million. Plus they get two young guys, Boesch and Porcello who still have potential. Mets have holes, and Santana has no trade value. This is a chance to get out of his money. Maybe the Tigers agree to eat $20 Million of Fielders contract to even up the money.

Reason for Tigers- The owner is almost 90, and he wants to win now! Wright solidfies the defense, and Santana is a solid #5 starter. They would view Santana as a rental player and let him go when his contract expires.
    Santana hasn't been the same since that no-hitter he tossed last year. He's injured goods. Many experts say his career may be finished. Why would the Tigers want him when Porcellos' (at this point) just as good and healthier? Why would the Tigers remove a huge piece of their offense (Fielder) for a downgrade? Defense overall couldn't have been that bad if they made it to the world series last year.

We agree money's an issue, yet with the trade you've suggested, the Mets would be adding another 31.5 million to their team payroll over the next few years (not including what Porcello and Boesch are making). And by the time the Mets are ready to contend, Fielder would most likely be comming out of his prime. By the way, where's Ike Davis gonna play, and who's the Mets new 3rd baseman to take over for Wright??

Your potential trade is ill-conceived, and your reasoning for it contradicts itself.
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    That's why they give the MVP award to numbers aquired over the whole season and not just based on the 1st half alone.

OK, ok, have it your way, I declare David Wright the first ever NL First-Half MVP Award Winner!!!!!!

Also aren't Posey's stats more impressive considering that the Giants were in a pennant race all year with the dodgers and he continually put up consistent stats with all the pressure on him, while David Wright's stats faded as the Mets fell out of contention?
    OK buddy calm down... I said Wright was an MVP threat... an MVP quality first half just means he has the potential to put that up over a full season. You say he hasn't hit 30 homers since the Mets moved to Citi Field. In 2010, he hit 29. Of course Posey's stats were better! I didn't say he should have been MVP because he shouldn't have been! He has the potential to. He was predicted as the MVP at the All-Star Break. Wright was not an MVP player all around in 2012, but who's to say he won't go back to 2007 or 2008, or replicate 2010 without the injuries?
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

Sorry, couldn't help myself. It's just that a LOT of players have put up awesome #s in a 1st half (MVP worthy) and faded more times than anyone can count.

But yeah, If Wright could put up #s like his '06/'07 #s (I don't think he'll do that playing in Citi field with the weak protection in the lineup he currently has) and the Mets finish .500 or better this year, yes David Wright would be a top mention for the MVP and maybe even get my vote.

Could that happen this year? I'll make this modest statement: I'd want to bet against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    Sorry, couldn't help myself. It's just that a LOT of players have put up awesome #s in a 1st half (MVP worthy) and faded more times than anyone can count.

But yeah, If Wright could put up #s like his '06/'07 #s (I don't think he'll do that playing in Citi field with the weak protection in the lineup he currently has) and the Mets finish .500 or better this year, yes David Wright would be a top mention for the MVP and maybe even get my vote.

Could that happen this year? I'll make this modest statement: I'd want to bet against it.
    Wright will have a 30/100 (or maybe 25/100) year this season, that's my prediction. I think the contract will give him confidence, and Davis is enough protection for him... I don't think those stats will be enough to give him any awards if the Mets lose 85 games again.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

Just heard something on 'Baseball Tonight' that reminded me of this thread. The Mets two highest paid outfielders this year are Bobby Bonilla and Jason Bay.......what a joke!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123