Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Bernard Pollard: NFL won't be around in 30 years

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...exist-30-years

Bernard Pollard has a bleak take on the future of the NFL.

The hard-hitting Baltimore Ravens safety told CBSSports.com recently that he doesn't believe the league will be in existence in 30 years because of rules changes instituted in an effort to make the game safer, and the chance a player might die on the field as players continue to get stronger and faster.

"Thirty years from now, I don't think it will be in existence. I could be wrong. It's just my opinion, but I think with the direction things are going -- where [NFL rules makers] want to lighten up, and they're throwing flags and everything else -- there's going to come a point where fans are going to get fed up with it," he told the website.

"Guys are getting fined, and they're talking about, 'Let's take away the strike zone' and 'Take the pads off' or 'Take the helmets off.' It's going to be a thing where fans aren't going to want to watch it anymore."

The issue of football safety was on the mind of President Barack Obama recently when he told The New Republic in an interview for its Feb. 11 issue that, if he had a son, he would think long and hard before allowing him to play the sport.

Obama told the magazine that football fans are going to have to wrestle with the fact that the game will probably change over time to try to reduce the violence.

The president says that some of those changes might make football, in his words, "a bit less exciting" but that it will be much better for players.

"And those of us who are fans maybe won't have to examine our consciences quite as much," he said.

Pollard said he understands the movement to make the game safer for players, but coaches are looking for players who are "stronger and faster year in and year out. And that means you're going to keep getting big hits and concussions and blown-out knees.

"The only thing I'm waiting for ... and, Lord, I hope it doesn't happen ... is a guy dying on the field. We've had everything else happen there except for a death. We understand what we signed up for, and it sucks," he told the website.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (19)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    I thought he did that to mr Ridley
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=24nmw...%3D24nmwRQhRF0
    Hidden Content
    -BECKETT SUPER COLLECTOR JULY 2006 ISSUE#196+NOV 2008 ISSUE #220 i collect Ed Reed,Ravens,Baltimore Colts+ nice stuff
    Hidden Content

well as much as he's a poster child for making things like that happen he's still right. how many threads bring up this topic? when things start going a way we dont like they ususally dont change. they only get worse from our perspective. the game will always be violent. its a full contact sport. they still play rugby in europe and other parts of the world. that hasnt been shut down. they just need to let it go. the league is trying to pass rules to protect the players. when have the players had a say in. at first they accepted it cause it did make the game safer, but now its getting out of hand and many players are stepping up and talking about it. the league is destroying the biggest money machine in american sports. makes you wonder what their real motives are behind it. there's no such thing as making this game safe. as soon as the league understands that they can try to make changes for the better. instead of making changes to harbor more control. it seems thats all it is about. lets control the players. if we cant then we'll run it into the ground. the army constantly looks for ways to improve their armor for their soldiers, tanks, vehicles, etc but you dont see them saying "well we just wont go to war cause it isnt safe". granted the nfl is not the army, but the same concept applies. it isnt safe. the players know that. keep the rules down to preventing malicious hits and life threatening hits to a minimum. thats all they can do. they cant control it. unfortunately i thing polard is right. the game will be so different in 30 years. if its still around at that point we wont recognize it as the game we know today. that in itself is kind of sad.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

I am way ahead of Pollard, I already hardly watch football anymore. 15 years ago I watched every game that I could regardless of the teams that were playing. Sunday was NFL day with the TV being locked in on any game that was on. This year I watched maybe 3 entire games and part of another 3 or 4 games and that includes Steelers games. Roger "Fine Em!" Goodell has killed it for me. His desire to redesign the game with rules that restrict some things while ensuring others has made me disinterested.

Perhaps the most idiotic thing that has transpired over the last few years is this. Rules have been made that ensure that scoring happens a lot and TDs are scored in bunches...but if the player celebrates his TD he gets flagged and if he REALLY celebrates then he gets fined too.

I also find things like AP breaking 2000 yards and Megatron breaking Jerry Rice's record to be only slightly exciting because rules have been made that makes defensive players scared to tackle and prevents them from even slightly brushing against a receiver, so naturally records will fall.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

ESPN headline says that Cutler's fiancee won't let their son play football. Sorry guys, looks like we won't have another Cutler in the future.
    Hidden Content

High-end trade bucket
    : Hidden Content

Oh no! How will the NFL survive if their isn't a Cutler heir?
    Michigan State >>> University of Michigan

Obama said he wouldn't let his son play either. Between no Cutlers and no Obamas in the future NFL it is clearly destined for doom and failure.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    Obama said he wouldn't let his son play either. Between no Cutlers and no Obamas in the future NFL it is clearly destined for doom and failure.

Obama has basketball in his bloodlines anyway. Hell one or both of his daughters might make the WNBA.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

As long as there is large money to be made people will do it. But I have to agree to a point. Lately each year has me enjoying the game less and less. When they start removing kick offs and turning it into essentially flag football I might be completely fed up.

It is pretty dang close to flag football now.

- Sacks are counted if the QB is "under control" of the defensive player. How many times have you seen a player credited with a sack because he grabs a QB? At least 15 or 20 sacks a season are credited without the QB ever leaving his feet. How many times have you seen a defensive player flagged for unnecessary roughness for sacking a QB?

- Players can only be tackled between the top of the numbers and mid-thigh. Any higher or lower and it is a penalty and/or fine. This is the reason that I don't value AP rushing for 2000 yards as much. Emmitt and Barry hit 2000 yards in a time when there was no helmet-to-helmet rule, they could be chopped below the knees and horse-collar tackled. Had they played with the same rules that AP has going for him they would have cracked 2000 yards several times.

- Hitting a receiver while he is in the act of catching the ball is out of the question. Essentially the receiver must be allowed to catch the ball and only then may he be touched and even then only below the top of the numbers and above mid-thigh. This is the number one reason why I don't value Megatron breaking Rice's single season yards record. Had Rice played in a league where DBs couldn't touch him before he caught the ball and could only tackle him between the top of the numbers and thighs then he would have had numerous seasons of 150-180 catches and 2000+ yards.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast