Thumbs up Manchester United Vintage Pickups Showoff!

So, I’ve always been into vintage stuff. I have a pretty extensive vintage baseball collection and even a few nice vintage football items. My man cave is kind of a vintage theme. Never before had I thought about vintage soccer until recently. I had done some research and found out that a lot of British tobacco companies produced tobacco soccer cards similar to how American tobacco companies produced baseball tobacco cards during the pre-war era. With this knowledge in mind, I went to eBay to find any of the vintage Manchester United cards that my research stated had been produced. I was pleasantly surprised!

Over the Christmas break I acquired several different Manchester United vintage tobacco cards. Over the last few weeks they have been trickling in from Britain and even a few from Spain. Some of these are in great condition (yes, I have verified authenticity on all of them) and I plan on sending them away to Beckett to get graded. I have a buddy who I teach with who used to work as a grader for Beckett and he says a few should do pretty well. I don’t plan to resell any of them, just grade them for safe keeping and display purchases. Without further adieu, here are the cards I acquired (in chronological order) and a little information on each (information gathered from http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/MANUcig.htm)…

1906 Ogden’s Cigarettes Football Club Colours #37 Manchester United: In 1906, Ogdens produced an attractive set of Football Club Colours. These cards showed the club's star player in his full kit. This was one of the first sets of cards in full colour. Sending this one in to be graded.

1908 F & J Smith Cigarettes #36 G. (George) Wall: Can’t find much information on the production of these. Apparently there are some that do or don’t have a set title (this one does not). There are also some with different colored backs. This one has a blue back, as you can tell. Sending this one in to be graded.

1921 Godfrey Phillips Pinnace #62 W. (Billy) Meredith:
    In the very early 1920s, the Godfrey Phillips tobacco company produced a series of cards to stiffen up the packets of their cigarettes. In the first print run there were initially 400 cards, but this rose to over 2400 by 1924. This card is AWESOME. It’s easily my favorite of all of these. It’s roughly 2” x 2” and features a United Legend! Sending this one in to be graded.

1922 Pattreiouex Tobacco Footballers Frank Barson (Captain): J.A. Pattreiouex, located in Cheetham Hill, Manchester, made Senior Service Cigarettes. Can’t find any other set information. Any help would be appreciated!

1927 Pattreiouex Tobacco Footballers #25 T. (Tom) Jones: See Above.

1927 Pattreiouex Tobacco Footballers #27 C. (Charlie) Rennox: See Above.

1927 Pattreiouex Tobacco Footballers #29 F. (Frank) D. Mann: See Above.

1927 Pattreiouex Tobacco Footballers #48 J. (Jack) Silcock: See Above.

1927 Pattreiouex Tobacco Footballers #50 J. (Joseph) W. Spence:
    See Above.

1927 This Year’s Top Footballers J. (Joseph) Spence:
    Can’t find any information on this card. Any help would be appreciated!

1926 Player’s Cigarettes J. (Joseph) Spence: A series of caricatures by "Rip" (R. P. Hill) were published by John Player and Sons in August, 1926. This included Joe Spence. Sending this one in to be graded.

1927 Player’s Cigarettes F. (Frank) Barson: Another series, this time illustrated by "Mac" (Douglas Machin) appeared in September 1927 and included the Manchester United player, Frank Barson. Sending this one in to be graded.

1928 Player’s Cigarettes F. (Frank) D. Mann: In October 1928 John Player and Sons produced a series of 50 illustrated action cards. This series featured United's outstanding wing-half, Frank Mann. Sending this one in to be graded.

1934 Carerras Cigarettes E. (Ernie) Hine: In 1934, Carreras produced a series of portraits that included United's English international, Ernie Hine.

1935 Wills’s Cigarettes G. (George) Mutch: W.D. & H.O. Wills produced a series of cards called Association Footballers in 1935 that contained an impressive portrait of George Mutch. Sending this one in to be graded.

1936 Carreras Cigarettes W. (William) McKay: Carreras published a set of 48 cards entitled Popular Footballers in 1936. These painted portraits included William McKay of Manchester United. Maybe sending this one in to be graded.

1938 Churchman’s Cigarettes W. (George) Roughton: In 1938 Churchman moved away from colour portraits by producing a set of action shots in black and white. The first series featured George Mutch, George Roughton and William McKay.

1938 Churchman’s Cigarettes W. (William) McKay: See Above.

1938 Churchman’s Cigarettes G. (George) Mutch: See Above.

1938 Wills’s Cigarettes G. (George) Vose: In 1939, W.D. & H.O. Wills produced another series of Association Footballers. The set included an impressive portrait of George Vose. Sending this one in to be graded.
    Last edited by rchurchward; 01-28-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    Collecting Green Bay Packers and University of Michigan Wolverines GU and Autographs!
    Tradelist (FT or FS): Hidden Content style="text-align: center;">Hidden Content

Nice collection. I really wanted to buy some of those sets on eBay. Glad to see they found a good home.

Nice pickups mate, I have a handful of vintage Arsenal cigarette cards myself. I really do need to get some more after seeing these, well done.

Thanks guys!
    Collecting Green Bay Packers and University of Michigan Wolverines GU and Autographs!
    Tradelist (FT or FS): Hidden Content style="text-align: center;">Hidden Content