Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Looking Set/Series

Ok, so I used the thread search function and was surprised that this did not come up (and if a thread like this does exist well then sue me).

What is your most favorite set/series from any decade?

for me:

1970's - Topps 1972
    1980's - Upper Deck 1989
    1990's - Upper Deck 1991

I got out of collecting after 1993...
    Hidden Content <- my wants
    most anything I have more than 1 of in my SCF inventory is FT...PM me for info
    Always looking to add to these team collections: Toronto Maple Leafs; Pittsburgh Steelers; Cincinnati Reds; Notre Dame; Team Sweden Hockey

Out of recent years I think the 2013 topps looks good and one the best they had for awhile. Out of the vintage stuff I really like the 1963 topps. I just wish topps would mix it up between the base designs and the chrome designs. I'm glad this past year they got away from making the baseball and football sets the same design. Overall I like the older designs, could never afford it so the heritage sets fulfill my needs for now lol.
    Changing paths, no more set collecting. Just PC'ing Orioles Auto's and Patches.

I haven't started collecting complete sets yet, but I really like the modern, vintage-looking tobacco sets like Allen & Ginter, Gypsy Queen, and Topps 206 cards.
    As far as refractors go, I honestly think my favorites are from Topps Finests sets. The 2009 Finest refractors in particular are beautiful in any color, whereas colored refractors from Topps Chrome or Bowman Chrome are just not impressive. I still collect rainbows from those sets, but they just aren't as visually appealing as the Finest sets usually are, and probably because Finest actually incorporates the color throughout the card rather than just along the borders.
    *I don't think that's the popular consensus though so I may get thrown to wolves for that comment.

2008 Finest Gold Xfractor

2009 Finest Red Refractor

2011 Die-Cut Mosaic Refractor

Or this page in my inventory better illustrates the mass color found in Topps Finest:
    http://www.sportscardforum.com/scf/i...1/view/2/zo/1/
    Joey Votto can run faster, jump higher, dive deeper, stay under longer, come up dryer and whip his weight in wildcats while gettin' kicked every fifteen minutes by a Zebra.

Hidden Content / Hidden Content

1982 Topps, my first year as a collector. Rickey Henderson card is so pretty.

There are too many in baseball for me to even list and I probably would miss some if I rattled off all that I liked but recently for just the basic Topps I've liked the 2008 and 2005 designs.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I judge a card based on both the front and the back. From the common makers

1966 Topps - A nice card to look at, cartoon and easy to read back
    1975 Topps - Good colors on the front, simple vertical stats with cartoon on the back
    1989 Score - especially the reverse, nice font and good quality pics on the back. Very underrated in my opinion.
    1995 Topps - Topps first high quality set, good photos on back
    2008 Upper Deck - Good full sized pics, easy to read font in the back
    2010 Topps - the last year Topps spent any effort on the back, good photos on front

1983 topps
    1986 topps
    2001 topps
    2010 topps (loved this design)
    2012 topps (looked nice as well)

not so nice

most of these i could spot in a box of 10,000 mixed cards just because they are so darn ugly lmao

1987 topps
    1988 score (ugly)
    1990 topps
    1990 donrus (OMG ORANGE )
    1991 topps
    1991 donrus
    1991 fleer (YELLOW)
    have 4349 different cardinals cards

Best Donruss design was their first set, 1981. Had they only had better pictures..... Donruss suffered from having the same back design EVERY YEAR in the 80s after 81, just a different color and CAREER HIGHLIGHTS.

Best Fleer design was 1996. - I never understood how Fleer stayed in business, they ALWAYS seemed to have the worst card design every year. The 1991 Fleer could burn out your eyes if you looked at them long enough.

It's a shame that Score overproduced, because I really think their first 3 card sets were better then anyone else's in their competition price range (Upper Deck cards cost a lot more).

Best Upper Deck design - For their first couple of years, they focused on more quality photos then card design on both sides of the card. So I'll say 1990, a clean design that emphasized the photos.

My Top 5, in no order: '67 Topps, '72 Topps, '73 Topps, '89 UD, '12 Topps.

I just wish Topps would put more creativity into Bowman, since I collect prospect sets, but the cards are just so drab.
    Collecting 1974 Topps (84% complete) and 1957-2013 Topps Phillies cards (50.2% complete).
    PC's: Chase Utley, Mark Trumbo, & David Price.
    My Bucket: Hidden Content
    My Haves/Wants Lists (still a work in progress): Hidden Content
    As of 3/16/13, no PWE's please. I use DC; so should you.

Quote Originally Posted by gps29070 View Post
    I judge a card based on both the front and the back. From the common makers

1966 Topps - A nice card to look at, cartoon and easy to read back
    1975 Topps - Good colors on the front, simple vertical stats with cartoon on the back
    1989 Score - especially the reverse, nice font and good quality pics on the back. Very underrated in my opinion.
    1995 Topps - Topps first high quality set, good photos on back
    2008 Upper Deck - Good full sized pics, easy to read font in the back
    2010 Topps - the last year Topps spent any effort on the back, good photos on front
    I agree with this for sure. I also like the Score football stuff from that era.
    Hidden Content <- my wants
    most anything I have more than 1 of in my SCF inventory is FT...PM me for info
    Always looking to add to these team collections: Toronto Maple Leafs; Pittsburgh Steelers; Cincinnati Reds; Notre Dame; Team Sweden Hockey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast