Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

Why?
    When you're right you're right. I'm with boba, it makes things like tying a knot, setting up a tent or fishing seem like major accomplishments. I get groups for city kids to go out and learn nature, but Boy Scouts seems like such a small town thing to begin with.
    I understand 4H Club. That can genuinely lead to a career in ranching. Scouts just seems to lead to a bunch of kids alone in the woods with some dude. Gay or straight, that just seems like a bad idea.

lol... that's a greatly simplified way of describing it. Sure we set up tents and learned different types of knots, but there are tons of other things we learned and did. I agree it's not for everyone as it's based for kids who like to do that sort of outside stuff. For some kids that's not an interest and that's perfectly ok. I'm not sure why it's getting so over simplified here but I guess that's the case for people who haven't actually participated in something... I myself do the same thing on different subject matter.

As far as the gay ban, I'm glad to hear they are thinking about dropping the ban but what's the hold up? I don't remember many times when I was ever alone with just one adult. Sure it can happen but you'd have to worry about that situation no matter what the sexual preference of the adult is. My troop almost always had multiple adults around at meetings. There were always 3-4 adults around when we were camping. Although were had a decent amount of kids in our troop so there was a need to have that amount of supervision.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

See, I was one of those kids who enjoyed that stuff. My dad and friends' dads taught me a lot, but I also learned a lot through guess and check. I was pretty blessed to grow up in a rural area where a 3 minute walk in any direction would find you nature, which is why I get it in larger cities. Also, I question the idea, not the people who do it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do time at the local YMCA for inner city kids and they do field trips and teach all the htings the scouts do.Not saying ban the scouts but the Y does alot more life skills works and real world stuff.

I bet you'd be surprise about all of the things that boy scouts can learn in scouting that actually are life skills or real world stuff.

http://www.scouting.org/meritbadges.aspx

Here's a link to the current BSA merit badges. Some are nothing more than fun or hobby type things but the scouts isn't school and is mostly done because kids find that type of stuff fun. There are a lot of ones that have real world application and quite a few newer ones since I was in scouts that could help direct a kid into what he may want to do as a profession.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Any group activity teaches life lessons for sure. I just see it as glorifying what was once everyday life is all.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I was in Cubs and Scouts in the 60's. In those days all the Masters were married with kids of their own, many in the various Troupes. The 80's came along and there were just not any Dad's around anymore with a 45% increase in divorce from the 60's, the Father volunteers were just not helping out.

In walk single, fat, bespectacled 35 year old men, still living with their Mothers and fully wrapped in some sort of weird androgynous capsule volunteering in droves and being accepted just as quickly.

Big Trouble there.
    Last edited by centrehice; 01-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Is that your perception of it or is that coming from a personal experience? FYI, boy scouts is the older group while cub scouts is younger.

We never got prizes, but we did get badges for actually doing or learning different things. Trust me, they weren't handed out without doing the work. IIt's far from just giving away ribbons or praise for doing absolutely nothing. I was in scouts until I was around 14 and I enjoyed it as I liked the outdoors. It also went along way to help develop the man I am today to some degree. A lot of the stuff scouts learn helps make them into responsible hardworking adults... at least for me anyways. I'll also go as far to say that the outdoors stuff that we did helped to toughen up a lot of kids and forced them to do some things on their own.

Personal experience. Every experience (some of our past foster kids - friends where members) I've had with the boy scouts have led me to believe what I posted. I've spent my life (17 years) shoveling snow off my elderly neighbor's walks, digging ditches, etc. I really think it cheapens doing these things when there is a prize or whatever. In real life people don't stand up and clap, and you don't get badges for doing good things, you just do them because it's the right thing to do. I can see why some kids would need something like boy scouts, (I was-am still being raised on a farm) but I think it would be better for the parents to just tell their boys to do good things and do things outdoors then send them to boy scouts.

Just my opinion.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Any group activity teaches life lessons for sure. I just see it as glorifying what was once everyday life is all.

that's cool. we can disagree. I don't classify my experience in scouts as glorifying anything. It was a group that provided skills to kids by earning badges. No different than school except you get a badge when you complete a lesson. Besides, there is a lot more than just earning badges and they weren't all easy to earn.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was in Cubs and Scouts in the 60's. In those days all the Masters were married with kids of their own, many in the various Troupes. The 80's came along and there were just not any Dad's around anymore with a 45% increase in divorce from the 60's, the Father volunteers were just not helping out.

In walk single, fat, bespectacled 35 year old men, still living with their Mothers and fully wrapped in some sort of weird androgynous capsule volunteering in droves and being accepted just as quickly.

Big Trouble there.

lol. that's a very specific stereotype of people who volunteer in scouts without having kids in the troop. We did have a leader who didn't have a kid in the troop but that was because he had already gone through the troop and was older. I suppose the dad liked it and stayed with it. It's really no different than single people without kids volunteering at the YMCA or coaching a sport that they once enjoyed playing. Sure there are going to be people with ulterior motives but it's not that's the only distinguishing characteristic of a pedophile looking for prey. I guess it would cause one to put their guard up, but being gay and being a pedophile does not go hand in hand by any means.

by the way... what is an androgynous capsule?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Personal experience. Every experience (some of our past foster kids - friends where members) I've had with the boy scouts have led me to believe what I posted. I've spent my life (17 years) shoveling snow off my elderly neighbor's walks, digging ditches, etc. I really think it cheapens doing these things when there is a prize or whatever. In real life people don't stand up and clap, and you don't get badges for doing good things, you just do them because it's the right thing to do. I can see why some kids would need something like boy scouts, (I was-am still being raised on a farm) but I think it would be better for the parents to just tell their boys to do good things and do things outdoors then send them to boy scouts.

Just my opinion.

When you say that you think boy scouts get "prizes" for every good deed they do you aren't speaking from the same experiences that I had with my troop. There are badges for different things but it's not like every time we volunteer or help out someone we all stand in line and get some sort of prize. We never got badges for going good things. We got badges for things like learning first aid or any of the many different topics. Scouts isn't only about earning badges there are so many other facets to it that I think you are completely missing. Now, this was 20-25 years ago so I'm not sure how it is these days. And to say that boy scouts don't get told to do good things by their parents it's absurd. Just because you are in scouts doesn't mean it's the primary influence one gets in a boys upbringing. It's a hobby just like if a boy plays football. In football they learn a lot more than just the sport, winning and earning what you call "prizes" (trophies). There are so many hidden layers to what a person is being taught by playing sports and the same is true in scouts. I think you are missing the point completely.

SCF Rewards
    Country

When you say that you think boy scouts get "prizes" for every good deed they do you aren't speaking from the same experiences that I had with my troop. There are badges for different things but it's not like every time we volunteer or help out someone we all stand in line and get some sort of prize. We never got badges for going good things. We got badges for things like learning first aid or any of the many different topics. Scouts isn't only about earning badges there are so many other facets to it that I think you are completely missing. Now, this was 20-25 years ago so I'm not sure how it is these days. And to say that boy scouts don't get told to do good things by their parents it's absurd. Just because you are in scouts doesn't mean it's the primary influence one gets in a boys upbringing. It's a hobby just like if a boy plays football. In football they learn a lot more than just the sport, winning and earning what you call "prizes" (trophies). There are so many hidden layers to what a person is being taught by playing sports and the same is true in scouts. I think you are missing the point completely.

I never said that.
    And isn't every deed - trade you learn working up to a badge? That's my only point.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast