Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Report: Rudy Gay Trade Pending On a Third Team

This has been in the news for the past year or so in Toronto and the opinions of Gay on local radio shows is almost laughable. I am a pretty stout baskeball fan and if Gay becomes a Raptor he would automatically become the #1 scoring option and the star of the team. Is he worth the 18 million dollars he's making? Perhaps not, but on Memphis he is not the first option and wasn't made to be the star there since there are guys like Z Bo and Gasol to facilitate him. The offer I have heard would be a package including Calderone and Ed Davis with Gay and Dorell Wright coming our way. The third party is for salary cap relief on Calderone's contract. I say DO IT. Collangelo is under fire to do something big since this is the last year of his contract and MLSE management has this no nonsense attitude and he needs to make a splash or he's gone and there's no bigger splash right now than Gay.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines

I'm upset Davis was traded but at least he is closer to me so I can see him live lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See soouthpaw17's Items on eBay

Calderon flipped to Boston to cover Rondo?
    Don't ask to trade by book value. No one has traded by book value since ebay has existed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Looks like Detroit is the 3rd Team

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

The trade is done and this is an awesome trade for all the reasons I state in my OP. Looks like Colangelo isn't done either and I think Bargnani will be the next chip to fall. The raps still have too many bigs and the likes of Amir, Acy and Gray have been more than capable of filling in the job.

I have not been this excited about the city of Toronto and the sports scene since the 1990s and it's about freaking time! This is a big league city and it's about time the management actually did something to make their teams better. Even the Leaf's are making sense! lol.

Gay was almost lost in Memphis and became the forgotten man, but I am hoping he will star here in Toronto b/c he has shown the ability to be the closer the Raptors have needed since VC left. Jose should also fit in very nicely on a young Pistons squad who also has a lot of talent with the likes of Singlar and Drummond. Ed Davis is developing as a player, but I don't know how much he is going to play in Memphis b/c they already have a bunch of talented bigs there. I AM PUMPED!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

Calderon flipped to Boston to cover Rondo?

Dallas also wants CALDERON

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

The deal is confirmed.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    NUTS (38)
    Country

This was a great move for the Pistons in my opinion. They needed to get rid of Prince, and got a true point in return. Now i only hope they can get rid of Stuckey.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmmintz's Items on eBay

I'm not sure I'd say Gay was the forgotten guy in the rotation. He took the most shots per game on the team (with career lows in shooting %).

It came down to dollars and cents, and you hit the nail on the head in the OP - he's just not a max player considering he basically averages the same stats today as he did when he was a rookie - he just never developed like we hoped.

Then, considering he makes 16.5 this year, 18 the next, and 19.3 the year after that...Lebron makes 17.5 this year, 19 the next, and 20.5 the year after that. In no way should Rudy Gay be making anywhere near Lebron when his stats just don't back it up.

Now, the steady development of Marc Gasol and Conley, coupled with Zach Randolph, clearly affect that. In Toronto, where he's probably the go-to guy, his ppg should probably go up about 5.

The issue we had here is that ownership tied 56 million dollars up in four players, and as a mid-major market, we could never afford that. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to give max contracts to three guys (Conley's deal is fairly reasonable), but hands were tied. The city loves ZBo, Marc, and to a degree, Conley. There was little else to do but trade the guy who really gave you the least production for the dollar.

That said, I'm a Grizz season ticket holder and a Rudy fan, and hope he succeeds - when he's got it going, he's one of the most fun players in the league to watch. I'm glad it'll be in the Eastern Conference - fewer chances for him to come in and lay 40 on us.

Gay was almost lost in Memphis and became the forgotten man, but I am hoping he will star here in Toronto b/c he has shown the ability to be the closer the Raptors have needed since VC left. Jose should also fit in very nicely on a young Pistons squad who also has a lot of talent with the likes of Singlar and Drummond. Ed Davis is developing as a player, but I don't know how much he is going to play in Memphis b/c they already have a bunch of talented bigs there. I AM PUMPED!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Mainecards42's Items on eBay

Raptors needed a player who is even close to a franchise player. Gay isn't a guy who will lead your team to wins on a consistent basis. He may get you 20-22 ppg but I don't think that team would ever be successful.