Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Here is some amusement over God and tips

Applebee’s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News
    Senior Media Reporter

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Sideshow – 1 hr 42 mins ago

(Reddit via Consumerist)
    An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager.
    Chelsea Welch, the waitress, wrote in an email to Yahoo News that the pastor (who has since been identified as Alois Bell) told Welch's manager at the St. Louis-area Applebee's that the ensuing firestorm had "ruined" her reputation.
    "I give God 10%," Bell wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip and scribbling in an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be. "Why do you get 18?" (There were more than eight people in Bell's party, triggering the auto-tip.)
    Welch, who snapped a photo of the bill from a fellow server and uploaded to Reddit, defended her right to post the receipt. "I thought the note was insulting, but also comical," she told Consumerist.com. "And I thought other users would find it entertaining.”
    Bell, a pastor at Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries Church, was not amused, and she called Welch's manager to complain.
    “[It was] a lapse in my character and judgment,” Bell told the Smoking Gun, adding she did not expect her easily recognizable signature would be, as her friend informed her, “all over Yahoo. You went viral!”
    [Related: Pastor leaves waiter note on receipt: ‘I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?’]
    “My heart is really broken,” Bell added. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”
    A spokesman for Applebee’s said it apologized to Bell for violating her "right to privacy" and confirmed that Welch “is no longer employed by the franchise."
    Welch was surprised that Applebee's fired her, "especially because there was nothing specific in the employee handbook admonishing this behavior."
    "I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”
    Welch also isn't buying Bell's embarrassment. “If this person wrote the note, obviously they wanted it seen by someone," she said. “I’ve been stiffed on tips before, but this is the first time I’ve seen the Big Man used as reasoning."

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

She should have kicked him in the bollocks. She's unemployed now because of this moron. She should find him, then kick his bollocks.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

She should have kicked him in the bollocks. She's unemployed now because of this moron. She should find him, then kick his bollocks.

Yeah. I don't agree with automatic gratuities either, but that guy is a jerk.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes there is no need for automatic gratuities,but no need to be a cheapskate either.That is how she makes a living.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Yes there is no need for automatic gratuities,but no need to be a cheapskate either.That is how she makes a living.

Hey, I've been a cook in a lot of places. Cooks depend on tips too, and when a waitress sucks, it's money out of everyone's pocket.
    With that said though, I've also been a customer in a lot of places. When I see a price on a menu, that's what I expect to pay. If you want to add an automatic gratuity, up the price of the food. Automatic gratuities are a legal bait and switch.
    Also, Having worked in restaurants, if a place has to demand a tip instead of leaving it up to you, there's probably a reason they can't get people to tip on their own.

As for this story, I see a man who made a statement, yet paid the bill. That's not being a cheapskate. Get her fired is a richard move, but it's not being a cheapskate.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I also worked in food as a young lad and as it pains me to say this YOUR RIGHT.Automatic gratuity is nonsesne but that is no reason to get someone fired and lose their living.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I also worked in food as a young lad and as it pains me to say this YOUR RIGHT.Automatic gratuity is nonsesne but that is no reason to get someone fired and lose their living.

Agreed, but it doesn't make him a cheapskate.

SCF Rewards
    Country

OK I see what you want here.A cheapskate was probably the wrong way to put it.But SOME sort of tip would be a nice gesture.How is that.

Agreed, but it doesn't make him a cheapskate.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

OK I see what you want here.A cheapskate was probably the wrong way to put it.But SOME sort of tip would be a nice gesture.How is that.

Maybe he got terrible service on top of it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As a former cook would you get on the waitress then and try to right her wrong? Do you agree she should have been fired for poor service if it happened one time?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast