Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    I have already voiced this, but I will again. I disagree with AP winning MVP. You have to go back to 1997 to find a player who won MVP while scoring less than 1 TD per game and that was Barry Sanders who shared the MVP with Favre. Just because he rushed for 2000 yards on a team with no other offensive ability doesn't make him MVP to me. An MVP doesn't just gain yards, he scores too.

    Saying the Broncos were already a playoff team without Manning is a copout to me. So what if they were a playoff team? They were not a Super Bowl contender. Manning on the Broncos made them a contender to win it all and he will again next year. Nobody thought that AP made the Vikings a contender to win the Super Bowl. Everybody knew that if the Vikings made the playoffs they would most likely lose in the first game and that was correct.

    That is the difference to me.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I have already voiced this, but I will again. I disagree with AP winning MVP. You have to go back to 1997 to find a player who won MVP while scoring less than 1 TD per game and that was Barry Sanders who shared the MVP with Favre. Just because he rushed for 2000 yards on a team with no other offensive ability doesn't make him MVP to me. An MVP doesn't just gain yards, he scores too.

    Saying the Broncos were already a playoff team without Manning is a copout to me. So what if they were a playoff team? They were not a Super Bowl contender. Manning on the Broncos made them a contender to win it all and he will again next year. Nobody thought that AP made the Vikings a contender to win the Super Bowl. Everybody knew that if the Vikings made the playoffs they would most likely lose in the first game and that was correct.

    That is the difference to me.
    You make it sound like AP had all these empty yards....
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

  3. #13
    Pretty much. Everybody downs the passing game and gives all of the credit to AP, yet Ponder threw 18 TDs and rushed for 2 more. Thus, Ponder accounted for 20 of the teams 34 TDs (59% of scoring) while AP scored 13 TDs (38% of scoring).

    Compare that to other recent RBs who have won MVP:
    Ladainian Tomlinson in 2006 scored 33 TDs (28 rushing, 3 receiving, 2 passing) which accounts for 61% of team scoring.
    Shaun Alexander in 2005 scored 28 TDs (27 rushing 1 receiving) which accounts for 52% of team scoring.
    Marshall Faulk in 2000 scored 26 TDs (18 rushing 8 receiving) which accounts for 67% of team scoring.
    Terrell Davis in 1998 scored 23 TDs (21 rushing 2 receiving) which accounts for 45% of team scoring.

    Like I said, you have to go all the way back to Barry Sanders in 1997 to find a RB that scored as little and even then Sanders was only named co-MVP. So yes, AP was the yardage guy, but when it came time to score Ponder was more valuable to the Vikings than AP.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    Pretty much. Everybody downs the passing game and gives all of the credit to AP, yet Ponder threw 18 TDs and rushed for 2 more. Thus, Ponder accounted for 20 of the teams 34 TDs (59% of scoring) while AP scored 13 TDs (38% of scoring).

    Compare that to other recent RBs who have won MVP:
    Ladainian Tomlinson in 2006 scored 33 TDs (28 rushing, 3 receiving, 2 passing) which accounts for 61% of team scoring.
    Shaun Alexander in 2005 scored 28 TDs (27 rushing 1 receiving) which accounts for 52% of team scoring.
    Marshall Faulk in 2000 scored 26 TDs (18 rushing 8 receiving) which accounts for 67% of team scoring.
    Terrell Davis in 1998 scored 23 TDs (21 rushing 2 receiving) which accounts for 45% of team scoring.

    Like I said, you have to go all the way back to Barry Sanders in 1997 to find a RB that scored as little and even then Sanders was only named co-MVP. So yes, AP was the yardage guy, but when it came time to score Ponder was more valuable to the Vikings than AP.
    Take away his 'empty yards' and what do you have then?

    I'm gonna assume we have different versions of empty. A guy like Calvin Johnson, he had plenty of empty yards this year, but it's not because he didn't score TDs, it's because the Lions were always losing so they had to throw and a bunch of his yards came from losing by 1 TD instead of 2, or something like that.

    I would've been fine if Manning had one, but Peterson was a great choice, and deserving of the MVP.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

  5. #15
    What Peyton Manning and AP both did were pretty incrediable.
    I definitely think Manning was deserving of the comeback player of the year. I mean numbers he put up after moving to a new team/head coach/offensive coordinater/teammates etc and to put up those kind of numbers/wins after sitting out for an entire year, that was pretty amazing.
    Not to take away from what AP came back from...I mean many RB don't come back from an injury like that and put upthe numbers he did. But I think Manning's sitution was more special (I am bias being a Broncos fan)

    The MVP was a toss up...But I knew when the vikings made the playoff and he came within 9 yards of the record, AP had the MVP. Either one would have been the right choice in my book.
    Looking for ALL Broncos cards in a Broncos uniform (no college unis and other teams ex. not Champ in Washington, etc) Check out my bucket:Hidden Content
    Check out my trade list by clicking ~> Hidden Content

  6. #16
    QBs SHOULD have more yards and touchdowns than RBs, no matter what team you're on, if anything, especially on the Vikings- They run a ton with AD, and the defense knows that, so they'll stack the box and stop the run- Less defenders on receivers. Not to mention that a QB almost always has at least 2 guys to throw to, sometimes and many as 5 or 6. A running back is just one guy. If a DB falls down, there's nobody to back him up (oftentimes), and the QB gets an easy completion. If a linebacker falls down in the box, there's always going to be 1 or 2 other guys right there to stop the RB

    2nd point, Ponder's increased numbers are also a result of Peterson being so good. Teams expect the run, so the put less coverage on the pass and more on the run, which allows for more passes and TDs to be completed since defenders are focused on trying to tame the beat in AP. The Vikings TE, Kyle Rudolph, had 9 touchdowns last year (which is half of Ponder's 18 passing TDs right there). I bet at least half of those TDs came on the goal line after a play action to Peterson and a boot leg to Rudolph, who is wide open in the end zone- I know it happened a ton, I didn't miss a game this year. Rudolph and Ponder get the stats, but the credit goes largely to Peterson. Look up Rudolph's TDs on YouTube, you'll see a lot of goal line play actions
    Collector of:
    Twins (9 1/1s), Chris Herrmann (26%), Justin Morneau (just starting), Michael Cuddyer (also just starting),
    baseball sets, Wild, North Stars
    Hidden Content

  7. #17
    I really feel like they held Peyton/Broncos playoff performance against him. I may be totally wrong, but it is tough to ignore.
    My Bucket: Hidden Content

    Looking for high end:
    99' PTT Autos: Walter, & Emmitt - 01' Quantum Leaf AMM: Barry & Emmitt - BGS 9.5 HOF RCs

    Dual/Triple Autos or Multicolor Patches of Walter/Barry/Emmitt/Brown




  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickstand54 View Post
    I really feel like they held Peyton/Broncos playoff performance against him. I may be totally wrong, but it is tough to ignore.
    Voting is completed before the playoffs begin, I believe.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

  9. #19
    I guess I place more value on scoring than most. I give AP credit for his yardage performance, but think that with all of those yards he should have scored more (at least 1 TD per game). In the end I think it was more about popularity than actual production.

    - AP produced 2314 yards and 13 TDs on a team with a poor passing game and his team essentially makes the playoffs with a 10-6 record because of him and he gets MVP.
    - In 2003 Jamal Lewis produced 2271 yards and 14 TDs on a team with a poor passing game and his team essentially made the playoffs with a 10-6 record (and won the AFC North) because of him and he doesn't get MVP.

    - AP beat out Peyton Manning when Manning threw for 4659 yards and 37 TDs.
    - Lewis got beat out by Manning who threw for 4267 yards and 29 TDs and Steve McNair who threw for 3214 yards and 24 TDs.

    Popularity.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickstand54 View Post
    I really feel like they held Peyton/Broncos playoff performance against him. I may be totally wrong, but it is tough to ignore.
    Do they vote before the playoffs? I know in baseball they vote before the playoffs but they reveal it after the World Series.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •