Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

thinking about quitting the hobby once and for all..

i've been collecting on and off since I was a kid,and as I've grown older things have gotten too expensive.I,like most people, tend to over-value my collection and it hurts me.I also collect players that no one really seems to have.If I try to trade for "tradebait" it's just to difficult and pointless in my view.Whats the point of taking on more cards if no one ever has a PC player card for me?

I have gone out in the last few weeks to see if I could pick up more traders/higher end cards,but the boxes/breaks I've done have gone all for naught.I'm sick and tired of wasting hundreds of dollars for boxes of crap.

Maybe I don't spend enough to have luck swing my way?? I've pulled 3 nice cards over the years and thats it..gretzky champs mini auto,auroch femur,and an ovechkin rc ice signature.I don't understand how some people can throw away money to the wind on cards and it not hurt them monitarily as much as it hurts me.

I've gone as far as selling things to be able to pay for upgrades,new boxes/cases etc but no one gives me a 2nd look..Are my cards too old,do I over price my cards,what am I doing wrong??

I dont know if its worth the hassle anymore,at this point nothing is even giving me a glimmer of hope or a reason to stay in.Im really considering selling it all in one fell swoop. oh wait I've tried that and people wont offer you but a penny for your whole collection.

Im tired of ranting/complaining.Im sure most of this is to jumpy to understand,Im just frustrated.....
    advice??
    reasoning??
    an offer?? (LOL)

BANNED

Country

What are you buying and where? LCS or online? Hockey has the best overall value in cards. Not the high-end value but lots of mid-end value. So all depends on what you are popping money on. I look at my breaks in the past few days. Not really a high-end card out of $500 worth of boxes yet a lot of mid-end cards that add up to a decent return. Maybe 80% which is very very good. Depends on your ways of breaking and selling really.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Colorado Avalanche
    See avalanche_kenny47's Items on eBay

took a look through your bucket. I think your issue may be is that everybody wants the new rookies now a days. you have a lot of cards that I would like to have for my avs pc but not looking to add that kind of stuff right now. the pages are hard to see all 9 cards. are any of the avs cards of matt duchene. I didnt think so. im interested in your marty turco autos in your bucket.there was 3 or 4 of them. looking for a price. I dont think I have any james neal for you but feel free to take a look through my bucket for anything you may want.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have advice:

Stop wasting money on wax, unless it is a set you want to collect or it is a team you collect (like Broadstreet Boys or Motown Madness). Instead of buying wax to get traders, try buying a lot on ebay for $200.00. You will be surprised at what you can get!

Or, if you could care less about trading, just buy the singles that you want on here, eBay, sportlots, COMC or even your LCS. This way you are not at the mercy of somebody who may or may not want what traders you have. Think about it, either you can spend $80-100 on a box of cards you don't really want or can't get rid of, or you could spend $80-100 on 2-3 cards that you really want for your PC.

I find trading too difficult to be worth it most of the time. Either they don't have something you want or you don't have something they want. Either way it is a waste of time 90% of the time. At least that's what I've found.

Hopefully I have said something that helps!!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (8)
    Country
    See billindallas75's Items on eBay

One word. Singles.

I like busting wax just as much as anyone else, but I also realized that if I really wanted to get what I wanted that I had to buy singles. I now satisfy my wax urges by buying a case or two of a couple of select products each year. The time in between those releases is for singles. To get to the point of buying singles, I had to honestly ask myself wh really wanted. When I first came back to the hobby, it was easy to buy the flavor of the week. But at the end of buying that wax, I was left with a bunch of stuff I didn't want. Figure out what you want to buy, and I think you'll find a new satisfaction from the hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country

PS: I need all of the Yzerman's in your bucket :)

I don't have much of anything James Neal, but maybe you will see something you like in my traders.

PPS: Invest in a decent scanner, it is difficult to see your traders!

BANNED

Country

Also I just noticed that it hurts you to spend so much. Don't spend if you can't afford it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I have advice:

Stop wasting money on wax, unless it is a set you want to collect or it is a team you collect (like Broadstreet Boys or Motown Madness). Instead of buying wax to get traders, try buying a lot on ebay for $200.00. You will be surprised at what you can get!

Or, if you could care less about trading, just buy the singles that you want on here, eBay, sportlots, COMC or even your LCS. This way you are not at the mercy of somebody who may or may not want what traders you have. Think about it, either you can spend $80-100 on a box of cards you don't really want or can't get rid of, or you could spend $80-100 on 2-3 cards that you really want for your PC.

I find trading too difficult to be worth it most of the time. Either they don't have something you want or you don't have something they want. Either way it is a waste of time 90% of the time. At least that's what I've found.

Hopefully I have said something that helps!!

^ This, it is unbelievable sometimes what you can steal off ebay for really cheap. Look for auctions that start at .99, but never bid first, wait til the last 10 seconds and sometimes you can get a great pc card for Really cheap. Especially ones that end in the weekday mornings. Also, Ebay has a feature that notifies you of whatever card/player you are looking for when one comes up for auction so you don't have to waste time searching, and if one goes for too much $, they will usually be another that comes up if it isn't too rare.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (20)
    Country
    See nyibeerforce's Items on eBay

My inventory is loaded with non-tradable items, far out-numbering anything good (and it numbers in the thousands...I would probably find myself in soiled pants pushing a shopping cart, $5 wine-bottle in hand spending my days dumpster-diving from depression if a total of what I have spent was set before me). But what the heck, i have a decent paying job, understanding wife and I love busting wax, making the occassional trade and giving cards to kids that I know.

BTW if I have anything for the Nilsson Phenoms let me know.

SCF Graphics

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See dnjcards's Items on eBay

I feel you, I really don't have much money to spend on the hobby, at first we bought boxes but after pulling a 1/1 luxury suite stick/patch of vanek in our first box and a landeskog rc au from a certified blaster we hadn't pulled anything else really note worthy. We traded a lot at first too but then felt we were waisting money to trade, traders for traders, and not being able to pick up pc cards. We only really spend our time collecting galiardi so we've found a new love of spending that box money on singles of him or lots on here or ebay, while buying lower end products like once a month to itch the scratch of wanting to bust wax. It's been affordable and a ton of fun!

My advice would be to set yourself a budget your comfortable with that way your not o ver spending and feeling negative about it and if you still feel the same way it might be best to just walk away even for a little while, I've heard of s lot of people jus up and selling their while collections and feeling completely refreshed and falling in love with the hobby again, maybe that's what you need.
    Last edited by DnJcards; 02-03-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast