Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some Advice and Info!

Hey Fellas, I'm just getting back into buying some cases or boxes(probably between 2009-2013) after only buying a few ramdom boxes(BP, A&G, Finest) per year over the last few years. I used to collect back in the early 90's, but now all the cards and lingo has confused me nowadays. Mostly, I like the Prospects, Rookies and most Autos and was wondering what boxes over the last few years have good bang for the buck, great pulls, quality, most wanted and sale or trade value. Also, is there a place on this site or another some may know of that explains the lingo of the new card collector era . Please guys let me know any advice on these things or anything else that would help a fellow card collector enjoy and share his purchases from here on out.

Thanks Troy

P.S. Also, add to it the redemptions and what ones have good ones.

bowman is hot most fo the time, ginter too
    have 4349 different cardinals cards
    Hidden Content
    check out my new customs and colorized photos blog!

For prospects Bowman products are the way to go,you have dpp,chrome and regular bowman,there is an auto in each box and some have 2.you'll get refractors xfractors colored refractors if you're lucky.Bowman sterling is priced high but you'll get 18 auto's per 6 pack box,with harder to pull parallel's.Allen and Ginter isn't really good for prospects,but it does have enough different things per box to keep your interest,you will get a boxtopper and 2 relics and sometimes an auto.As far as the lingo I would need some examples and I could probably help.Hope this helped a little welcome back to collecting,take care Steve.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

Welcome back to the hobby. I too collected big time in the 90's and then had a bit of a hiatus in the early 2000's. I started back up in 2008 and plenty had changed!....even having done a lot of online trading back when Sports Card Depot was big, haha.

The biggest change I've noticed is the transition from lists to image galleries (picasa, photobucket, flickr, or any other image hosting website). If trading good inserts, RCs, GU, or autographs; a lot of people want to see a picture or scan. Many traders even prefer to just browse through 'buckets' (slang for someone's photobucket, picasa, etc image gallery of cards). Definitely not all traders prefer this though so it's still good practice to generate some lists.

Not sure which lingo you're referring to so I'll just throw out some common ones from the trading/selling boards....
    WTT/WTTF: Want to Trade /For
    LTB/WTB: Looking/Wanting to Buy
    HTG: Hard to get
    CMB: Check my bucket (usually people keep links to their card image gallery in their signature)
    NFT: not for trade
    BV/SV/TV: book/sale/trade value (with ebay sales being the main driver for SV)
    PC: personal collection

I'm sure there's a bunch more that are escaping me right now....I know some had me scratching my head when I first came back into the hobby. As for boxes to buy, if your not big into prospects than Topps Chrome and Topps Update are usually pretty decent products for the price.

Good luck with your collection,

Tom

Thanks guys, lots of good info and the lingo link was cool. Now as to where do you guys like to purchase your boxes or even cases(presell as well). I have bought a few times from ebay, local card shop and have looked/compared prices at some googled sites like Dave and Adams, Blowout, Collect and Save. Please let me know where to buy from where I get good service, prices and card quality.
    Thanks again on your replys

Also, some explainations on card descriptions as to all the different types as to parallels, short prints, refractors(X-fractor,super fractor, Atomic refractors) and different relics. I have seen and got alot of these cards like colored refractors, die cuts and some relics. Are all game used item cards called relics? Is there a way to determine parallels or short prints at first glance? If I was to buy a few boxes of the last 3 years or so(Baseball and Football) for some Autos which are suggested. Really ready to start tearing into some boxes soon. Thanks again guys

Quote Originally Posted by Troy112 View Post
    Also, some explainations on card descriptions as to all the different types as to parallels, short prints, refractors(X-fractor,super fractor, Atomic refractors) and different relics. I have seen and got alot of these cards like colored refractors, die cuts and some relics. Are all game used item cards called relics? Is there a way to determine parallels or short prints at first glance? If I was to buy a few boxes of the last 3 years or so(Baseball and Football) for some Autos which are suggested. Really ready to start tearing into some boxes soon. Thanks again guys
    A parallel is just a card that has the same picture but is usually a different color (most likely on the border).

Short prints are any card that is made in less quantity to a regular card. For example Topps would make an autograph of Albert Pujols short print because it costs more money to have him sign versus a common player. So for 2013 Topps Pujols may only have 25 autographs while everyone else has 500 for example.

Refractors are a parallel made by Topps that now exists in every brand they make of Topps Chrome, Topps Finest, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Sterling, etc. The different type of refractors are just more limited than the others. For example the Gold Refractors are usually limited to just 50 copies whereas a regular refractor may be limited in the 1000s.

Game Used cards are sometimes referred to relics because you can include more items under the game used umbrella by doing so. For example some sets contain stuff that can't really be used in a game like piece of wall, bench, seat, etc. Or they use a jersey or shirt from a non game like All Star HR derby so it technically isn't "game used" so relic would be more of an accurate term here.

Some parallels and short prints are easy to tell and others aren't. Most of the time they will be a different color, say it on the back or front of the card, or be numbered. Other cards are tough to spot short prints like every card in the set after #300 on is a short print. Or the 2013 Topps Derek Jeter card may have the regular version him batting but the short print is him diving to match a catch. No other real indication other than the photo.

A suggestion of product would probably be determined by what you like. Bowman Chrome Draft is loaded with autographs, game used, and parallels of rookies and prospects but it has no Hall of Famers or veterans. If you want that then you would have to go after something different.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Awesome Reply's Pwaldo! I appreciate the knowledge and explanations, but one question was the differences in value between the different brands or is a signed regular rookie card(not numbered) say of Mike Trout equal throughout? So, now I just need to know where to get deals on some boxes and what some good websites are?

Also, couple other questions came to mind. Do the card companies now do one batch of boxes/cases per release(born on date) and thats all the #'d cards packaged then? or multiple runs and add cards to newer boxes/cases of the same product?(ex. Topps chrome released in july 2010 and then newer boxes made in jan 2011). Is that why they now have redemption mail-ins and how long before those usually expire? Thanks Again guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast