Post Brandon Webb retires at age 33

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/89...dbacks-retires

Brandon Webb, the 2006 National League Cy Young Award winner and one of the most dominant starters in the game during a five-year stretch with the Arizona Diamondbacks, is officially retiring from baseball, according to his agents at Millennium Sports.

Webb, 33, hasn't pitched in the majors since 2009 because of shoulder problems. He had been pursuing another comeback attempt but announced his retirement Monday in a statement released by agents Jonathan Maurer and Mike Montana.

"With retirement, Brandon looks forward to focusing on more time with his family,'' the statement said. "He would like to thank all the countless coaches, players and friends for their support during his career.''
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Shoulder problems for a pitcher are hard to get over especially if you have had several. Wish his family and him the best in what he does after baseball now.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

Very sad day for me, but obviously not surprising. I've had a little hope for the last month after he said he was going to throw for some teams, but I figured it was just a matter of time. Well I certainly will always remember the 6 seasons he was here (technically 8), he was easily the most dominant pitcher in the MLB during that stretch from 2006-2008. He was my first player collection and I had a great time chasing down his cards. Hopefully I can still pick up a couple things now and then just to round out the collection. Good luck to Brandon in the future!
    I collect all cards of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Super Collecting Daniel Hudson (D-backs uniform only) and Brandon Webb. Interested in everything from base to 1/1's.
    Current D-backs Totals: 7,399
    Latest D-back: 2013 Bowman White Ice Superfractor Cody Ross 1/1

Loved watching the home state product during his career. I wonder if he will return to KY? He has a Golf Course in his hometown Ashland that I've been planning on playing. Best of luck to him in his endevors.

He had an amazing run that most people have probably forgotten about by now but after winning the Cy Young he finished second the next year and then second the year after that. Pretty good run. Also it seems like a lot of pitchers from that time frame though are already out of baseball now or aren't nearly the same player they once were.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

When he didn't come back in 2010, I knew he was done. No pitcher even fully comes back after being layed off for 2 full years. You lose so much arm strength the pitching arm can never be even close to what it fully was.

Before 2009, I thought this guy was a great shot for the Hall Of Fame. But now he goes on the "what could have been?/injured pitchers list" along with names like: J.R. Richard, Mark Fidrych, Mark Prior, Jose Rijo, and Kerry Wood
    "I felt I had to prove...that the Yankees are just a team of ballplayers, not a pride of supermen." - Sandy Koufax; after striking out a series record 15 batters in game 1 of the '63 World Series

Lookin 4 vintage Dodgers/Rams, Kemp and Kershaw RCs, Lakers 80s-present

Quote Originally Posted by Ledd Raubstur View Post
    When he didn't come back in 2010, I knew he was done. No pitcher even fully comes back after being layed off for 2 full years. You lose so much arm strength the pitching arm can never be even close to what it fully was.

Before 2009, I thought this guy was a great shot for the Hall Of Fame. But now he goes on the "what could have been?/injured pitchers list" along with names like: J.R. Richard, Mark Fidrych, Mark Prior, Jose Rijo, and Kerry Wood
    Before 2009 you thought he had a great shot at making the HOF? C'mon now.

From 2003-2008 he was 87-62. If you only have 87 wins as a starting pitcher, the Hall and your name shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

He'd become one of the best pitchers in the NL. I'm sorry to see that he's being forced to retire.

He'd won a Cy Young, and finished as Cy Young runner up two other times in his last three years. So while it would be just a little premature to think of him in the Hall of Fame at that point, if he'd stayed healthy, there's no telling what he could have done. He was only 29, and an elite pitcher. Stranger things have happened. Koufax was dominant starting at age 25 (Webb won the Cy Young at 27), and Sandy was out of the game by 31. I'm certainly not comparing Webb to Koufax, but you never know.

I'm sorry WebbforCy. It sucks when one of your favorite players is forced to retire because of injury. I went through that with Robert Brooks of the Packers.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaller23 View Post
    Loved watching the home state product during his career. I wonder if he will return to KY? He has a Golf Course in his hometown Ashland that I've been planning on playing. Best of luck to him in his endevors.
    What one does he own? I'm in Huntington, WV so just a stones throw away!

Sad to see him call it a career. But at least he has his health. I think it would be cool to see him get in with UK somehow since he went there. But wish him the best!
    ~Matt