Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Country

I guess it depends on the definition of base. Anything thats not a auto or GU i throw in boxes and call them all base. But when colin kaepernick got hot in the playoffs i took out 20 RC of his and sold them on ebay for over $225. Just junk is what i consider it, and it turns into a nice profit. So personally i consider anything non auto or GU to be base. I know thats not the real definition, but its just how i think of it. I also have multi serial numbered cards that just sit on my common base box because i really have no need for it. But i will pull things out when it is selling good. If i didnt i would have a ton of junk just laying around that i dont use.

I jumped on the Kap crazy as well. But when I say base I mean base literally. The ones that you find 200 of them in a box of score.

BANNED

Country

Those people that are making those offers are probably the same people with low feedback who constantly complain that they can't make any deals on here.

What's funny is one is a guy who has been on here for a few years.. with only a handful of deals but many bumps and such

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

and if youre selling them for pennies send me a list !

One person did step up to the plate on this offer unfortunely I had them all. I thank you kind sir for offering.
    Trading for Steelers,Penguins,Pirates and Michigan players in Michigan uni

Hidden Content

Thanks to the USPS Shipping only to US addresses.

Shipping done on Saturdays no matter when the trade is confirmed

BANNED

Country

One person did step up to the plate on this offer unfortunely I had them all. I thank you kind sir for offering.

My list would take days to type up haha.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Defaultlie's Items on eBay

I am not a base card collector (outside of vintage baseball), I pretty much donate them all to the card store when I open them for kids to have or have donated them to hospitals in the past. I sometimes make exceptions for High end base like The Cup or Ultimate sets, but they are serial numbered and far more limited. Any base I do have laying around usually gets thrown in as filler for deals ect... I think most people who over-value these base cards are trying to take advantage of someone. BV is worthless when it comes to base cards, and anyone who is offering up "deals" like ones you mentioned is trying to take advantage of the sudden demand of these base cards that usually isn't there.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (64)
    Country

there are people the exact opposite.... You and I just struck a deal where you put out a feeler for a couple players, I replied with what I had and I took on cards that I did not need just for the sake of making a trade and helping a fellow member out...so I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Yup, not everyone wants to squeeze something out of nothing...well for me personally base cards just take up space in my house so if anyone needs what I have laying around its theirs for nothing but shipping costs....
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

I for one have been quite fortunate with my base cards. I actually made quite a few deals, and helped many people on here that have been searching out some very elusive base for long periods of time. All types of Player, Team, and set collectors have scoured my list, and found lots to fill in holes in their collections. And when I say list, I mean ALL of my base is listed on my site.

That's in the trade aspect of course, and yes I do agree to the principle that 200- $.10 base really shouldn't be a substitute for a nice $20 card. I wouldn't uncouth myself to suggest anyone should consider that as a legitimate trade. However if I had a nice $20 card to trade for another $20 in the deal, and if I found a whack of base from the other trader that I needed too, to swap for the base I had. It just makes better sense, and a bigger deal. I like the big trades!

When it comes to selling base, I have no problem being fair. As long as shipping is taken into the equation. Also I prefer to work with collectors, not flippers. Although I have never actively tried to sell my base either. I like trading it better. Unless I can move a big lot all at once.
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

If you buy gobs of entry level issues like Victory, Score, etc. You will always be deluged with base cards. I have finally gotten rid of close to 100,000 base cards, but it's taken 10 years on eBay and on here to do so.

SCF Rewards
    Country

For a slightly different view...

I've dealt with star player collectors who are looking for specific base cards of their player going back many years. I decided to help out and went back and sorted through numerous boxes to look for their want list. After spending quite a bit of time, I sourced out a nice group of the base cards they wanted. Then when I took the time to list each card with a good description (taking more time to do so), they only wanted to barely pay for the ship cost associated with them receiving the cards.

The point they didn't get is that my main "investment" in the proposed deal was my TIME. If you think base cards have no value and you should get them for free (ie. the cost of ship only), that somehow suggests that my attempt to help your collection is something you're entitled to and my time/effort is something I somehow owe you (???). Sorry...but we're not related, we've never met and we're not best friends and yes I'd like to help with your collection since I too have collections of cards and I understand your desire to fill your want lists, but why would you expect to get something for nothing? It's a two-way street and both sides have to be happy for any deal to work.

If base cards are valueless, then you'd have no reason to collect them. If you're asking people to track them down for you because they fill a collecting need, they have value to you and you should expect to "pay" (in money or trade) a reasonable price for them or the effort it takes to track them down. If you become a slave to the idea that "I'll never trade a memorabilia card (auto/jersey/etc) for any base cards", realize you become the loser when you never find your base cards and the holes in your collection remain... Sure: in a perfect world you'll find someone else collecting base cards of a player and you can both happily trade base cards for base cards. Sure, I don't mind throwing in some base cards if I can easily find them and they're part of a larger deal. Sure, I too give away many of my base cards at my LCS knowing they'll be given to kids and that helps develop the hobby. Sure, I too have given away base cards at the hospitals when they were accepting them. But remember the "do unto others" adage: can you see yourself spending lots of time to try and fill another collector's needs, for nothing? Many times I've dealt with people who attribute absolutely no value to the time it takes to track down cards. People who post "WTB/WTTF" threads...then don't want to pay a reasonable price when you offer up the cards they want, hurt the hobby. I'm moving beyond base cards now but the point remains the same: when you ask for cards then refuse to pay a reasonable amount for them or the time it takes to find them, we all suffer because future efforts by yourself (and others in the hobby) to find cards will be met with a resounding silence: people learn to ignore posts asking to find cards...when they've been taught it's likely to be a waste of time, so why bother...

I'm NOT suggesting that anyone looking for base cards must expect to pay exorbitant amounts for them...or trade (for example) a Crosby rookie auto for 200 base cards, or other nonsense. I AM suggesting that it's much too convenient/self-centered to think you're collecting base cards and since they have little value, you should get them for nothing and other collectors should somehow cater to your collecting needs "out of the goodness of their hearts". The hobby works better and your collection will grow, if you look at both sides of a deal and recognize that both sides getting something will result in a successful deal/trade.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast