Question Does this prove that the Donruss relic cards with pics on the back aren't 100% real?

People always question the authenticity of game used cards but most people seem to think that older cards tend to be more likely real especially if they showed the picture of the item that was cut up on the back. Most Donruss products had this in the early 2000s but then it suddenly went away.

Now I can't confirm this information as I am not a football expert (so maybe somebody here can shed some light) but if what is said is true do we now have to question older Donruss products that photo authenticate the game used item? Is there anything else that people can question that has a photo of the game used item on the back?

Here a 2002 Donruss Elite Throwback Threads game-worn memorabilia card #TT-14 of quarterback Craig Morton… A caption above the photo on the back reads, "This is a photo of the actual jersey from which this swatch was taken."

The card’s photo depicts the a jersey which was sold at an American Memorabilia auction in 2000 as identified by the unique auto/inscription on the back which denoted it as being “Super Bowl XII game-worn”. While it cannot be discerned by the card’s photo of the back of the jersey, when auctioned by AMI, the catalog clearly showed the blue/red on white Russell Athletic manufacturer’s tagging on the front of this jersey, which dated the jersey style to post-1983--A jersey not only manufactured six years after Super Bowl XII, but also at least one full year after Morton’s 1982 retirement.

Can anybody confirm this as true or have any other similar stories with these types of cards?
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I can't confirm it. Only thing I can tell you is years ago I would take jersey pieces out of cards that were worthless or damaged. On the back of the jersey was a piece of double sided poster tape with the players name printed on the back of it. Even then that just tells you it was their jersey.

I have noticed this years product, especially topps, some of devier Posey patch cards are red jersey with white patch and black border. Texans red jersey isn't that red and doesn't have black in it. Although they look an awefull lot like Michael Floyd's patches. I'm starting to wonder about the companies in general. Seems like they almost don't care now.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

While it cannot be discerned by the card’s photo of the back of the jersey
    This is the key component. Without being able to see that the jersey in the picture is actually a Russell and not an authentic jersey this is all just conjecture and speculation.

As someone who has been in the hobby since 1992, I would trust the jerseys in older cards to be authentic before I would trust the jerseys in new cards.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

I'd like to see Panini/Topps put a small code on the back of future jersey/patch card that you could enter into their website and see a picture the pre-sliced jersey where that swatch came from. This would give some level of assurance and not disrupt the aesthetics of the card. It would also cost next to nothing to enact.

On the flip-side, it would make it a bit more difficult/expensive (although not impossible) for scammers to alter patches, as they would need to match the pictured jersey.
    BUCKET: Hidden Content

Always looking to add to my Giants PC and Inception PC.

especially now that most rookie jerseys are just jerseys they made for the premier or other rookie function. not even their actual jersey or the right number. they wear the jersey for 30 minutes and thats it. now they have multiple jerseys for every player insinuating they have them put on multiple jerseys? even still this isnt the original idea of player worn jersey. its not really even theirs. consider the companies drastically dropped the book value of jersey cards after a few years. most say its due to over production, but in relaity they dont spend the money to do it the right way like they use to. they use manufactured patches in so many cards now. i hate those. i wont collect them. im sorry but those are openly fake. i could take a jersey i buy from the sports store and have that player sign it on the letter then put it in a card. it wouldnt be worth much of anything to anybody cause the company didnt make it. but why? we dont know what they do and what they really use any more. thats why i stick to mostly on card autos, refractors, and certain products patch cards. they actually look like the real jersey they would wear instead of the fake looking patches they put out at the begining of the season.

think about it. if those patches were real game worn jerseys the product would be as expensive as exquisite. thats what they use to do anyway. used real player worn patches. those jerseys are $700+ per jersey. thats the real prodcut. at least it was. not sure about the college stuff they use now. i dont like painted on patches. thats not a patch.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    This is the key component. Without being able to see that the jersey in the picture is actually a Russell and not an authentic jersey this is all just conjecture and speculation.

As someone who has been in the hobby since 1992, I would trust the jerseys in older cards to be authentic before I would trust the jerseys in new cards.
    So you don't think the one that was auctioned off and are on the card are the same jersey? The autograph seems to match. I have no idea where the guy got the information about the auctioned off jersey and if Donruss bought it or not but the one that was auctioned off was not used in the Super Bowl based on this information.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I'm not convinced they are the same jerseys. If you look at the full jersey from the auction, the auto that goes across the seven goes further to the right than the one on the back of the card (hopefully that makes sense). I blew the pictures up as much as I could, and it just looks to me like there is more space from the end of auto to the edge of the seven on the jersey on the card.
    Currently Collecting: 2000 Upper Deck Legends football autos (31/67 - 46% complete) and 2010 Limited Material Monikers (19/48 - 40% complete)

Hidden Content