Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Questions about prayer

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Questions about prayer

I have had both christians and muslims tell me similiar things. When you pray you must technically say God/Allah/Jehova's name correctly including correct spelling and punucation, say who his prophet's/sons/partner's are, pray at a certian time facing a certian direction, etc. My question is God really that petty that if you don't say the correct speel or mention other people's names when you pray will he totally ignore your prayers? What it you are trying to reach out to him so that he can direct you to the correct religion and you do not know that you should pray in Jesus name or say that Muhammad is the last and final prophet? Is your prayer null and void? If God is all powerful and knows our hearts why would he reject our prayers on the grounds of a technicality? Everyone's thoughts and ideas are welcome.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

i of course do not doubt the conversations you have had, but I have never had a christian tell me any of those things. Now, every muslim I have spoken with has shared those ideas but have never had a single christian say that the wording you use or any other technical matters matter. As such, to answer the question, no, I don't think God would ignore a prayer on a technicality. In fact, the christian bible even says that the holy spirit intercedes for us through prayer which would lead you to believe that yes, what is in our heart while we pray is what matters.

SCF Rewards
    Country

i of course do not doubt the conversations you have had, but I have never had a christian tell me any of those things. Now, every muslim I have spoken with has shared those ideas but have never had a single christian say that the wording you use or any other technical matters matter. As such, to answer the question, no, I don't think God would ignore a prayer on a technicality. In fact, the christian bible even says that the holy spirit intercedes for us through prayer which would lead you to believe that yes, what is in our heart while we pray is what matters.

Good answer. That's very reassuring to know.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Only in Islam I believe. There is much more leeway in christianity. Some catholics pray to a myriad of so-called saints as well as Mary & Joe the carpenter.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I've had Christians say you should say his name/title as well as Jesus, and many do think you should pray before each meal to give thanks, but never a place, direction, etc and never as an absolute rule. The main teaching in Christianity, ignored by so many as it is, is that righteousness is in you're heart, not on display. Did not Jesus say the man who prays privately is more righteous than he who makes a show of it?

With that in mind, how can any Christian claim a "proper" way to pray, since true, righteous prayer happens in front of no one?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've had Christians say you should say his name/title as well as Jesus, and many do think you should pray before each meal to give thanks, but never a place, direction, etc and never as an absolute rule. The main teaching in Christianity, ignored by so many as it is, is that righteousness is in you're heart, not on display. Did not Jesus say the man who prays privately is more righteous than he who makes a show of it?

With that in mind, how can any Christian claim a "proper" way to pray, since true, righteous prayer happens in front of no one?

Agreed. I also think that every theist regardless of their religion should pray before eating with the poisons in our food supply. Also a christian told me if I don't end every pray I say "in Jesus name" the pray is null and void and God will not hear it.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Agreed. I also think that every theist regardless of their religion should pray before eating with the poisons in our food supply. Also a christian told me if I don't end every pray I say "in Jesus name" the pray is null and void and God will not hear it.

Wow, that's just stupid. I think the idea that God would have a certain exact way of doing things is a very human construct. When Jesus gave an example of real prayer, people took it and turned it into the way you should pray word for word. They hold an example in such high regard that saying it backwards is evil.