Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Free wi-fi for everyone? FCC giving it some thought

Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

having wi-fi of the power the article speaks of would be cool, but I'm not sure why the FCC would be the one to supply it.

Most people will be excited about "free" wi-fi, but obviously if it's being provided by the FCC then it's not really free, at least to tax payers. Seems like this is a product that a government entity has no business supplying. Let the companies that do it for profit handle it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

having wi-fi of the power the article speaks of would be cool, but I'm not sure why the FCC would be the one to supply it.

Most people will be excited about "free" wi-fi, but obviously if it's being provided by the FCC then it's not really free, at least to tax payers. Seems like this is a product that a government entity has no business supplying. Let the companies that do it for profit handle it.

I agree with you there. It wont be free, it will just be paid by everyone, even those who will never use it. Wouldn't the loss in jobs, at least in the private sector, be great also?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

This is my field of expertise and I stand against it. This has been tossed around before as well as open access laws being created, which I am against as well.
    I am against it do to the costs of engineering, equipment, installation, setup, and maintenance. also most ISP's work with local communities (or should)to set up free internet access at certain locations. We provide free service for several non profit organizations, churches, community education centers, and our library. I, alone, spend around 20 hours or so per month helping them maintain their local networks.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I actually think this is a stupid idea.