Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New York Yankees Columbus Blue Jackets Minnesota Golden Gophers

What is the best way to get a card signed at a game?

I have got balls signed all of the time at minor league games, but never got a card signed. This year, there are some former MLB players on the local team that I have cards of and want to try to get some of them signed.

How should I store the cards? I know the serious collectors have binders and just hand it to the player who signs all of the cards on their page. Should I do that, or can I just bring an individual card or a few cards and have them sign that way? I know some players usually avoid people who they think want to sell the cards and look like serious collectors. If a binder is the way to go, can someone link me to somewhere with info on how to set it up? Like how to get the cards on the page for them to sign easily.
    And how do I know who is who? Is there some secret, or do collectors just know the players by their face? Is my best bet to just sit by the serious collectors and see the page they flip to?

Thanks for the help, I am a huge baseball fan but haven't got into auto collecting until recently.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've only done balls, but from what I've seen, if you get a spiral note book or composition book and attach the cards with photo squares, it seems to work. I'd imagine that its easier to do that than to hand them the card by itself.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Oh that is what they used, I've always seen the things on the page and wondered what they were.

Does anyone have suggestions for what type of paper to use, something that won't hurt the card?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I use a three-ring binder with cut-in-half manila envelopes to put the cards on...attach them with photo-corners do you don't damage the cards. Organize them alphabetically. Know the players numbers/faces.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think the "players avoid people that look like dealers" thing is a myth. More times than not I've seen players key to the guy holding a giant bat or a jersey to flag him down than the little kid with the scrap of paper. I'd use the binder.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

2 more questions:
    1. I have cards of 6 players on the team, but not the other 19. Is there a good source to get cards of specific people? Most of them have little to no MLB experience and I doubt many card shops will carry them
    2. I have read that offering the player or a kid nearby will increase your chances of them signing multiple cards, is that true? Do they usually take the card if you do so?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

2 more questions:
    1. I have cards of 6 players on the team, but not the other 19. Is there a good source to get cards of specific people? Most of them have little to no MLB experience and I doubt many card shops will carry them
    2. I have read that offering the player or a kid nearby will increase your chances of them signing multiple cards, is that true? Do they usually take the card if you do so?

1) SportLots, COMC; if they don't have what you're after, get an 8x10 of that team's logo or stadium.

2) Players will either sign multiples or they won't. It doesn't hurt to offer, but I've never seen it help.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Like lambeauleap87 said, checkoutmycards.com is great for getting individual cards. Base cards are usually less than a dollar a piece, many times as little as $0.25.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I love COMC. Been using it a lot lately to either add to my regular collection or for cards to send out to former MVP, Cy Young, ROY, and World Series MVP winners.

BANNED

Country

Justcommons.com is a good place for cards too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast