Aaron Hill agrees to $35 million 3 year deal with Diamondbacks

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/89...n-deal-sources

The Arizona Diamondbacks and Aaron Hill have reached a deal that will keep him under contract through the 2016 season.

The extension adds three years and $35 million to his existing deal, which pays him $5.5 million this year. That means the overall contract is worth $40.5 million over the next four years.

General manager Kevin Towers said Hill has become "one of the premier second basemen in the game, not only in the National League but in all of baseball."

The 30-year-old infielder -- Toronto's first-round draft pick and the 13th selection overall out of LSU a decade ago -- hit a career-high .302 with 26 home runs, 44 doubles and 85 RBIs last season, earning him a Silver Slugger award, the first for a Diamondbacks infielder. He came to Arizona as part of a trade with Toronto in August 2011 and was a big part of the team's stretch run to the NL West title that year.

Hill said in a conference call on Friday that he understands the importance of free agency in setting market value for players, but for him, signing a long-term deal to stay in Arizona "was a very easy decision."

"I love playing baseball. I just love being out here," he said. "Our family and I are very, very happy here. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

The deal follows an agreement last week between Arizona and newly acquired third baseman Martin Prado on a four-year, $40 million contract. Towers said he saw no other contract extensions on the near horizon.

Some of the flexibility for the contracts came with the departure via trade of Justin Upton, who had three years and $38.5 million left on his deal.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

2. Wata Photo
    Amazing what a change in scenery does for a career. Also, he must be fully recovered from the concussion.

This has turned out not to have been one of AA's best trades, especially when one factors in that he include Johnny Mac in the trade - a fan favourite.

I love the way Aaron Hill plays! Can't wait to see him again this season!