Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question Any famous or expensive hockey error cards?

I know baseball has a lot but don't know much about errors in hockey. Anybody has any examples or are errors mostly a baseball thing?
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Errors in Hockey that pay out, are almost all vintage. Errors in Hockey are not rewarded like they were in bygone days.

The last Hockey card error that resulted in an owner's favour was the 91-92 OPC Premier Vladimir Konstantinov Rookie Card #118A. The error version (not many printed) books at $8.00 and has a photo of Nick Lidstrom on the card back.

The corrected version #118B books at $1.00

Brian Leetch's 1989-90 All-Star card has a photo of somebody else on the front and is not rewarded at all because the error was never corrected.
    Last edited by centrehice; 02-09-2013 at 01:47 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

There are some Pro Set errors from 1990-91 that when they appear command big $$ or at least they used to.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

centrehice is very much correct here. I don't recall a time since that Konstantinov that an error card has even been corrected. I think most products tend to simply be printed, and that's it (rather than a 1st / 2nd / 3rd run - where the oppertunity to correct the mistake would present itself).

I remember 90-91 Pro Set being filled with them. Ray Bourque's name spelt wrong, Joe Niewendyke's name spelt wrong (did I get it right there?) The Niewendyke was worth $20, or something like that, for a long time - but they can be had for $1 or less now. Peter Statsny's photo (on the front of the card) was mixed up with someone else's (though that player's name escapes me right now).

There has been some really crazy prices paid for proset errors, but not common errors. I seem to remember someone posting an auction for a Ray Bourque recently (in the last few months) that got up over $200. It wasn't a mispelt name though, I think there was just a black blotch where the name should be.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah it seems that like hockey in football the only sets that really have any wanted errors are the Pro Set ones. I guess the error fad happened too early in the baseball card 1980s for the other sports to catch on. It was fueled by the different companies which I think was smaller than the amount of baseball licenses.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

About the only valued error cards these days in hockey are cards that aren't intended to actually be released. The Brock Trotter Certified RC and the Dr. Price 1972 The Year in Hockey are two that spring to mind.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

In Konstatinov's OPC Premier RC case, there were very few cases printed when the Error was corrected, that is why Beckett put a premium on the card.

They are like Hen's Teeth to find, as most are in collections. I had quite of few corrected ones, but never found an error in any box that I opened. In 1999 you could buy a box of this issue for $2.00.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See fifthcup90's Items on eBay

It fits into the category of cards that weren't meant to be released, but the 99/00 Retro had the Howe which was imprinted making it dimensional, my buddy has one. Anybody remember that one?
    I collect: Kurri, '70s Kelloggs and Topps hockey(also OPC), football, and baseball cards, vintage stars and World Series subset cards.