Post Blast from the past MLB top 10 list from Sports Card Magazine July 1996

This is the oldest magazine I have and is one of the best. Chipper Jones second year Bowman tops the list, Greg Maddux 1990 Leaf 4th year card is #3, Jason Isringhausen makes the list AHEAD of Derek Jeter, second year Bowman of Ryan Klesko is booking for more than $10, and finally an appearance by Ruben Rivera where his Bowman RC equals an Andruw Jones Bowman's Best RC.

Lots of stuff going on in this issue so which card being on there is the most amazing to you?
    Last edited by pwaldo; 02-10-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Prob the Chipper card to me.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

Why was Maddux's 1990 Leaf card 3rd on the list? I know he was probably hot at the time but Idk why that card would have any importance
    Collecting Texas Rangers autographs
    281/950 (30%) of all Texas Rangers/Washington Senators players

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dudeidontcare View Post
    Why was Maddux's 1990 Leaf card 3rd on the list? I know he was probably hot at the time but Idk why that card would have any importance
    I actually made a mistake it would be his FOURTH year card. First year was 1987. Second year was 1988. Third year was 1989. Fourth year would be 1990.

As for the question the Braves were super hot at the time and sets like 1990 Leaf and 1992 Bowman were unbelievably hot. They were perceived to be "rare" due to limited print runs for the time. So a combination of the two things resulted in the card being hot.

used to like isringhausen when he was with the cardinals

i have that jeter,87 maddux, and klesko lol
    Hidden Content
    have 4016 different cardinals cards
    Also looking for cheap base of
    Sale, F.Freeman, Moustakas, Kimbrel, Kershaw, Rizzo, Trumbo

I always like seeing the name Ruben Rivera. Not only because he was Mariano Rivera's cousin and stole some of Jeter's equipment in Spring Training one year, but because I am working on an autographed 1997 Fleer set and his was the first one I got signed, at a food court in a mall in Tampa. It came out so nicely I decided, "why don't I try and get all of the cards in this set signed?". So now, I am up to 319 cards signed, all in person, and for the most part unsuccessfully trying to track down the guys that I don't yet have.

Quote Originally Posted by mberger718 View Post
    I always like seeing the name Ruben Rivera. Not only because he was Mariano Rivera's cousin and stole some of Jeter's equipment in Spring Training one year, but because I am working on an autographed 1997 Fleer set and his was the first one I got signed, at a food court in a mall in Tampa. It came out so nicely I decided, "why don't I try and get all of the cards in this set signed?". So now, I am up to 319 cards signed, all in person, and for the most part unsuccessfully trying to track down the guys that I don't yet have.
    Good luck with the set! Who do you think will be the hardest to find that you have left?

Well, unfortunately 5 of the guys are no longer alive and I don't have any of them (Kile, Caminiti, Puckett, Beck, and I think one other).

Toughest ones are probably common guys from other countries who can't be tracked down. THere are a bunch that are high school or college coaches. My rule when I started was that I have to get the autographs in person, so I can't mail anything out. Basically I look to try and get the spring training instructors or minor league coaches during spring training. This year hoping to get Wally Joyner (asst hitting coach for Philles), Pat Hentgen (bench coach for Blue Jays), and guys like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mberger718 View Post
    Well, unfortunately 5 of the guys are no longer alive and I don't have any of them (Kile, Caminiti, Puckett, Beck, and I think one other).
    Hideki Irabu?

I don't think he is in the set (maybe the update, which I'm not doing).

I did get Pat Hentgen at Blue Jays camp on Tuesday, to push my total to 320.
    I tried to get Wally Joyner at Phillies camp on Wednesday but he didn't sign.
    Also went to a charity event with David Wells on Thursday night, but he either doesn't sign cards or doesn't sign cards that are not Blue Jays or Yankees. So, that is one I'll probably never get (he is pictured on an Orioles card).

Need to try and get Terry Steinbach with the Twins sometime this spring.