Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 tops where is Mickey mantle ?

How come there is no. Mickey mantle card this year ?

I read that Topps' contract with the Mantle estate or whatever it is expired, and they didn't bother to sign a new one or just make a new card #7. Personally, I think it's stupid. Even "retiring" card 7- Why? There has been better players than Mantle. Don't get me wrong, Mick was fantastic, but there's been better. I just don't get the whole thing
    Collector of:
    Twins, Chris Herrmann, Jason Tyner, Jim Thome, sets
    Wild, North Stars, Jason Zucker
    Hidden Content
    Offering a finders fee for the 2013 Prizm Finite Chris Herrmann 1/1!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
    There has been better players than Mantle. Don't get me wrong, Mick was fantastic, but there's been better. I just don't get the whole thing
    There have been only a handful of players better than the Mick, and I really don't think you appreciate how big he was. He was the most popular sports star in America when he played. I mean he was absolutely worshiped. And to put up the numbers he did with the myriad of injuries he suffered....if he'd been healthy, he would have destroyed the record books. The guy won three MVPs (including one as a Triple Crown winner), he was MVP runner up three times, finished third once, and fifth twice.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Mickey Mantle was a great player, but if he were on any other team other then the Yankees, he wouldn't be this legend status. He's not better then Willie Mays or Ted Williams in my opinion.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by gps29070 View Post
    Mickey Mantle was a great player, but if he were on any other team other then the Yankees, he wouldn't be this legend status. He's not better then Willie Mays or Ted Williams in my opinion.
    I agree with this. He was good no one is denying that but he wasnt the best that played the game IMO.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

There may have been better players than Mickey Mantle but there was no player that has been bigger on baseball cards than Mickey Mantle. Hence why Mantle's #7 was retired back in 1996 when they brought back reprint cards (huge at the time and were VERY popular and influential). They kept it retired in every set until Upper Deck's contract with the Mantle family expired and then Topps scooped it up. They reprinted Mantle cards in the same vein as the years that he was retired and missing. Now that there is no competition for Topps (and after them running Mantle into the ground) there isn't a reason for them to pay top dollar to have Mantle in their eyes so that would explain the missing Mantle.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

So true. Being on the Yanks always helps...unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by gps29070 View Post
    Collector of:
    Twins, Chris Herrmann, Jason Tyner, Jim Thome, sets
    Wild, North Stars, Jason Zucker
    Hidden Content
    Offering a finders fee for the 2013 Prizm Finite Chris Herrmann 1/1!

Being on the Yankees had a lot to do with his legacy. Same goes for Jeter or Rivera or just about any other legendary Yankee. Because they were on the Yankees, they were able to win. Winning always helps a player's legacy, no matter what team they play on.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballboy2 View Post
    Being on the Yankees had a lot to do with his legacy. Same goes for Jeter or Rivera or just about any other legendary Yankee. Because they were on the Yankees, they were able to win. Winning always helps a player's legacy, no matter what team they play on.
    That is true. and cant deny the yankees WS championships.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast