Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I joined back in 05 when I was 13 and had no problems. Actually got ripped off on my first couple trades from older guys.

I think 13 is fine but I think there should be some sort of parental consent form since there is selling and buying involved. Maybe under 16 have the consent form.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (406)
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals
    See stlbluesnbirds's Items on eBay

Technically when you agree to a trade/sale you're entering into a contract that you intend on following through with the deal. Since minors can't legally enter a contract, anyone under 18 shouldn't be trading. If they rip you off you actually can't legally do anything about it. I don't mind trading with someone younger as I'd like to see the hobby continue on into the future. However, I take notice to some aspects like grammar and attitude to show signs of maturity before I'd agree to anything.
    Last edited by slufan83; 02-10-2013 at 11:32 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Technically when you agree to a trade/sale you're entering into a contract that you intend on following through with the deal. Since minors can't legally enter a contract, anyone under 18 shouldn't be trading. If they rip you off you actually can't legally do anything about it. I don't mind trading with someone younger as I'd like to see the hobby continue on into the future. However, I take notice to some aspects like grammar and attitude to show signs of maturity before I'd agree to anything.

Well put

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I've never had a problem with non-adults on this site. I've had problems with a few people who chose to act like children, but they were all legally adults.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See railblaze's Items on eBay

I'll chime in here too, I don't think it's fair or wise to lump all 'underage' people into the same category.

There are people who are responsible enough to run their own collections, people who are irresponsible with their collections, and people who's parents will get involved regardless of their child's aptitude.

Just looking at the trade proposal, tells me that the kid is either responsible enough to know what he's doing, but Daddy knows who Bobby Orr is, and thinks it's a "safe investment," but either doesn't know who RNH is or doesn't think that his cards are worth anything near those of Bobby Orr, or the kid isn't responsible enough, and is trying to trade you his father's Bobby Orr card.

In any case, I understand that it frustrates you, but people could make them same thread with the same generalizations about any given age range or gender or locality.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't think age has nearly as much do with problems on this site as does maturity. I've had problems with grown men, and positive experiences with the "kids" on the site. The SCFer who bids on "American only" Ebay items for me is a teenager, and he's been 100% reliable.

It's tough when issues like that raised by Andrew arrived, but I've seen adults back out of deals too. Sure there will be some issues related to age, but I don't think restricting ages would eliminate many problems.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thefiorecollection's Items on eBay

there is a lack of interest with kids in this hobby. Although this may be annoying and can cost a few deals to fall through. Think of it like helping the future of this hobby. I wouldn't want the age restriction raised, but I would hope the kids parents know what they are doing and they have permission.

just look at it like your sacrficing for the future of this hobby. With prices already outside of kids reach, we should take that extra step and try and nuture their collecting.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

If things look suspicious and are going Pear-Shaped, I always ask the age. I'm not opposed to trading with young traders, as I was once one myself, however they need to realize the seriousness of the venture in which they are about to be a part of.

An entitled attitude won't get you far in life, or on SCF.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See masonraymond0320's Items on eBay

In my opinion I honestly think adults would be more of a problem only because I think of , when I go down to Rogers Arena to get autographs, a lot of the autograph seekers there are grown men in there 40's or 50's and I know a few of them treat autograph seeking as a way to make money. I would think the same in card collecting that many of these people who rip other people off are grown men trying to make cash and they'll cheat you into a trade that they have no intention of sending. I'd think kids would think this more of a hobby more than a business only because they're not as desperate for money as some other people. Kids have everything provided for them by their parents while adults that are struggling to get by would be the more likely ones to scam others.
    Hidden Content
    I collect: Adam Larsson, Mason Raymond and Matt Duchene

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Any reasonable athlete with an open mind always gives autographs to the kids first, unless you are Chelios or Modano and you use the "F" word for all whom ask.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast